3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I just done this mod today, and I must say I'm not sure if there was much point in doing it. When I took the original gasket or what ever you call it to put the blanking plate in it looked brand new! I was expecting lots of carbon build up on it. It does shut off more smoothly now but I didn't notice much in performance wise if any. Will probably notice it when I next tow the jet ski or a load of wood. Also just wanted to make sure I did this last bit correctly I disconnected the red plug as I read somewhere that it disconnects the swirl valve? Can anyone please just let me know if this is correct!
Cheers chris

The point is to stop exhaust gas being fed back into the inlet manifold because when the exhaust gas mixes with the incoming air (which has some oil vapour from pcv) it eventually forms a thick black paste that chokes the air flow going into the motor, lower air flow with the same amount of diesel going in = excessive heat, bad all round.
So it's not actually a performance mod, more of a longevity mod but a little improvement of the turbo spooling is usually noted.

Does anyone know where you could by an EGR blanking plate? What thickness and material to look for?
Cheers

It has to withstand some decent temperatures, so it shouldn't ever be thin aluminium. Steel is great, stainless even better, 1mm thick is enough, 2mm is perfect.

Not only do eBay have 'em, but a quick trip to a stainless steel factory asking for scraps usually yields enough material to DIY with ease.

On the 3.0 ltr d22 do u still have to change the vaccuum lines or can u just blank it and still get some benefit? The only thing I'm still unsure on

Just did the mod. Just checking the vac lines remove both from the top egr (black) solenoid, connect T to the top of the green solenoid with the two lines coming from the egr/shutdown butterfly/actuator, bottom of the shutoff (green) solenoid to the T on the swirl (red) solenoid, disconnect the swirl (red) solenoid?

Also, before the mod and even after there is a pffffft/ soft air popping sorta sound coming from the egr/shutoff butterfly on shutdown. Before shutdown it would sort of go "pop pop pffft" as it shutdown at idle now is quiter and not as drawn out. Mechanic said its ok last service, but just wondering am I paranoid is this normal? Do yours' do this on shutdown? I just dont't remember noticing/ didn't take notice of this on other Navs I've been in before I owned one!

most people don't notice the shutdown butterfly noise. it can be a case of now your listening for it, you hear it.

with the swirl butterfly, i noticed a slight increase in pull in the very low rpm. bit smoother.
someone posted that they noticed quite a bit of difference when the swirl was disabled. but there engine was also chipped. so it could be that they had the fuel that could use the extra air flow.

most people don't notice the shutdown butterfly noise. it can be a case of now your listening for it, you hear it.

with the swirl butterfly, i noticed a slight increase in pull in the very low rpm. bit smoother.
someone posted that they noticed quite a bit of difference when the swirl was disabled. but there engine was also chipped. so it could be that they had the fuel that could use the extra air flow.

Thanks tweak'e. I drove around today and decided when I got home to reconnect the swirl. See how it goes tomorrow and compare, maybe drive around a bit then disconnect to get a better idea of the difference.

Can definitely notice the difference with the EGR blocked. 1st gear/take off is so much smoother and doesn't have that hesitant/choked up feel. Notice the diffference in 2nd and 3rd when coming to and out of corners and roudabouts, same deal as first with that choked up feel gone. However can't notice that much of a difference between swirl plugged/unplugged, but left it unplugged on tweak'e 's word.

Well after puttin it off for a few weeks (being to shit scared to attempt more like it) I have finally completed this mod. As an absolute, and I mean complete and utter mechanical amateur.. This mod is amazingly easy to do. Took me less than an hour, mind you most of that was checking and re checking my work to make sure it was right. All the photos provided were fantastic and once you dive into it it's really easy to make heads or tails of the diagrams. I purchased a meter of vac hose to be sure I wasn't left short and I used a total of none of it. All you need is there. Just think it out and make cuts carfuly. The result I have to say is minimal. There is a bit more down low and the turbo spools up quicker, mind you I'm fairly easy on the power pedal anyway.
This is a fantastic mod and I urge any novice who may be putting it off to get of your a** and do it. You won't be disappointed with the outcome and the feeling of getting it done.
Thanks to all the guys who have posted how to's on this thread. Made the job easy.
Sammy

Good to hear, any gains in driveability, turbo response etc are secondary....just a bonus, the real benefit is in stopping the build up of that dreaded choking paste in the inlet manifold and retaining good clean air volume for long term engine health, my egr mod has been in for a long time now and 0 problems.

Just an after thought, obviously the egr is no longer choking the engine up with its dirty filthy unwantedness, so am I right in assuming this has contributed to less engine braking and smoother when slowing down/driving slowly (e.g around a carpark)?

Excuse me for not being mechanically genius

I'm not sure that changing the EGR would impact the engine braking, because when you're engine braking you're generally off the gas, and when throttle = 0, the EGR is turned off anyway. When driving slowly you're using low-to-mid-range throttle and EGR is definitely active, so the block will be contributing to that.

I keep flogging this thread, for this I apologise, but...

Is there any merit in blocking both points of the EGR?

I have blocked the point everyone and his dog does, at the intake, just wondering if anyone then went on to block the second point that is hard to get at and if it will be better to do both.

If you do block the lower point does the gasket stay on the engine side of the blanking plate?

If you block the exhaust side, there's no chance of having exhaust gas leak out when the EGR tube cracks (which has happened a couple of times, reported here). Doesn't mean you should block yours right away - it's a bit like having your nuts ripped off because 2 out of a hundred of your ancestors had testicular cancer.

Doesn't matter where the gasket goes. I didn't even put my gasket back in, it's in my glove box. I used Permatex Ultra Blue Gasket Cement to seal the joint. Not a single problem with mine in 10s of thousands of km.

Doesn't mean you should block yours right away - it's a bit like having your nuts ripped off because 2 out of a hundred of your ancestors had testicular cancer.

I literally cried I laughed so hard reading this. Thank you OT for the advice and brightening my evening.

Back