3.0 litre EGR/Butterfly/Swirl Mod

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did the EGR blank and swirl mods over the weekend. Apart from 3 of the tubes disintegrating on the 3-way connectors and ripping when I pulled them apart, the mod was easy as. Extra tube from AutoBarn.

Certainly seems looser in 1 and 2 low rev range and the turbo whistle is nice. Seems a little less exhaust note which was a little disappointing. Great info and pics from Tweak'e and others on this thread. Thanks guys

Did the mod myself yesty morning. Blanked off with 1.5mm SS plate up on the intake maniflod, chose hear to reduce the intake volume that the turbo is compressing (marginal, I know) and it was also easier to access. Switched all the tubes/lines around on the solenoids, no problems at all. A very slight barely noticable gain down low but a bit more shaky on shut down I noticed. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Managed to get 8.6 and 8.8ltrs/100 (mixed use) last few weeks so will be good to see if I can maintain/improve this.

I'm a drafty by trade so I can do a 3D drawing showing all relevant lines and solenoids to be changed and nothing else to help keep the confusion down, a lot of people seem to be a bit scared or unable to work out what goes where. I can show all the lines to be switched, step by step and in colour, nice and clear. If anyone feels this will be of help let me know and i'll jump onto it.

Thanks tweakes for the pics and your knowledge. your a champ.

Great idea harri3e

Did the mod myself yesty morning. Blanked off with 1.5mm SS plate up on the intake maniflod, chose hear to reduce the intake volume that the turbo is compressing (marginal, I know) and it was also easier to access. Switched all the tubes/lines around on the solenoids, no problems at all. A very slight barely noticable gain down low but a bit more shaky on shut down I noticed. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Managed to get 8.6 and 8.8ltrs/100 (mixed use) last few weeks so will be good to see if I can maintain/improve this.

I'm a drafty by trade so I can do a 3D drawing showing all relevant lines and solenoids to be changed and nothing else to help keep the confusion down, a lot of people seem to be a bit scared or unable to work out what goes where. I can show all the lines to be switched, step by step and in colour, nice and clear. If anyone feels this will be of help let me know and i'll jump onto it.

Thanks tweakes for the pics and your knowledge. your a champ.

Great idea harri3e - I for one would appreciate you doing this as I have been a bit reluctant to have a go at it. I am sure others would also.
Would actually like to see a vehicle with this mod completed - anybody near Ballarat/Geelong who has done so and is prepared to show me???

there shouldn't be any more or less shaky on shutdown. just check the hoses are done right and confirm than the butterfly shuts when you turn the engine off.
I checked all the lines and one had worked its way off due to the shortness of the original lines so just put on a new longer piece and presto. Butterfly closes on shut down and the shake has gone. Will start drawing up the mod this week and hopefully post it next week.

EGR is exhaust gas return. A system that that distributes exhaust direct from the exhaust manifold to the inlet manifold to help reduce emissions ect.

It chokes the engine with carbon and affects engine performance in a negitive way.

The mod involves blocking the EGR pipe with a blanking plate and re-aranging the vacum hoses that control a butterfly in the inlet manifold. The butterfly closes the inlet manifold off (partialy I believe) to force the engine to ingest the exhaust from the egr.

i understand how to re-arrange the vacuum hoses but where is the actual "egr pipe" please? there are 3 solenoids mounted next to eachother, each with 2 hoses (in and out) but where is the location for the blanking plate to be used? from what i have read it is installed in the location of the pic that follows, is this correct please???

Attachments

• EGRpart2.jpg
    EGRpart2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 4,097
see the alloy pipe by the yellow handled dipstick, the pipe that goes down to a valve with a bunch of wires coming out. that alloy pipe, where it attaches to on the manifold is the easiest place to block it off.
pics on a thread somewhere.....

3D EGR Mod Plumbing Drawing

the attached 3D drawings look a little dodgy but are showing stock plumbing and modified plumbing to help clarify what goes where. u need to utilise one of the existing t pieces and potentially use a little bit of new hose/line/tube. hope this helps
any questions might be best to ask tweake'e
I hope this is right....

Attachments

• EGR MOD-Stock.jpg
    EGR MOD-Stock.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 2,179
  • EGR MOD-Fin.jpg
    EGR MOD-Fin.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,679
I believe PAGE 4 of this thread contains the pipe blanking location. I am a fitter by trade, the hole mod including making the plate took about 1 hour.

the attached 3D drawings look a little dodgy but are showing stock plumbing and modified plumbing to help clarify what goes where. u need to utilise one of the existing t pieces and potentially use a little bit of new hose/line/tube. hope this helps
any questions might be best to ask tweake'e
I hope this is right....

nice pics. mayby just put the T's in black.

see the alloy pipe by the yellow handled dipstick, the pipe that goes down to a valve with a bunch of wires coming out. that alloy pipe, where it attaches to on the manifold is the easiest place to block it off.
pics on a thread somewhere.....

thanks heaps, getting onto it asap :cheers!:

If you've got the time. It would be good to condense all the good things in this thread down to 1 post in a new thread.

That way members wont have to search through all the pages.

okay guys i did the EGR mod, just changing the vaccum lines. After a while i noticed an increase of oil in the engine bay(don't have catch can) took it to my local mechanic to ask what was going on and he said that mod was causing the turbo to free boost which was pressurizing the sump and giving the motor blow by at the inlet and also around the top of the motor any idea?

you guys don't seam to have many decent mechanics over there.
he talking crap because he has no idea.

the oil coming out is a fairly common/normal problem especially if the engine is overfilled.
the mod can mean your running a bit more boost at cruise which can mean more blowby.
also blocking off EGR and butterfly means the motor uses more air, so its pulling more air through the filter when your cruising. so if the filter is a bit dirty you will get bit more of a vacuum in front of the turbo which can suck more oil through the breather.

so fit a new air filter and fit a good catch can. you just need to remember that the air filter will clog up quicker due to the larger amount of air that the motor now uses.

Sweet , Thanks tweak'e he was saying if i want to do this mod that i should run either an adjustable wastegate actuator or boost controller. Is it common, or have people had the headgasket go on the ZD30 motor?

head gasket problems are not all that common, no different from any other light diesel. very early models had problems with blowing holes through pistons. that was more of a piston design problem rather than a boost related problem.
egr soot blocking up the intake is probably the biggest cause of problems with a lot of light diesels.

i fail to see how an adjustable wastegate actuator or boost controller would even effect anything with this mod. blocking egr/butterfly does not change the amount of max boost as EGR is off at full throttle and/or high rpm's anyway.

sorry i cannot understand your mechanics logic to this. what does he think needs doing? increasing boost? decreasing boost?
or is he getting his wires crossed with the patrol version of the ZD30 ?

egr/butterfly/swirl mod.

I have just done the egr/butterfly/swirl mod and would have to say that it is definately smoother and more responsive off the bottom. I wish i had have known about this a few years ago but better late than never! Thanks for all the info on this site.

Latest posts

Back