3" D22 Exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The size and design differences between them are very obvious in the pics and no wonder there is an improvement in performance with it. Great that the noise levels aren't too obtrusive as well. It brings back memories of my WRX/GTR days :)
Well done.
Mark.

Now the bad is out of the way, on with the good. The engine is a lot more responsive, boost is on a little earlier, where before it would only do 9-10 psi at 2000 rpm, it now does 12 psi, and by 2500 rpm it's up to 15 psi, it didn't use to get to 15 psi until about 3000 rpm.

that sounds very similar to the change i got with just changing the rear muffler !

glad the turbo came out nice and easy.

enjoy the beer, well deserved :)

Did a trip today up to Craig's hut, fuel economy appears to be better, 550km round trip, with about 70ks in 1st,2nd and 3rd gear low range, and another 70ks in 2nd and 3rd gear high range, managed to get home with just under a 1/4 of a tank, will know for sure what the mileage was when I re-fuel in the next few days.

Ok, fuel usage is in for the usage in the post above. I think the fuel economy is better, bit hard to say due to a trip off road affecting the figures, will see how it goes, got another big drive in about a week or so but no off road stuff this time.

Distance: 571 KM
Litres: 64.8
Result in Kilometers per litre: 8.81
Result in litres per 100 kilometres: 11.34

Don't know how much you guys are paying but i recently got 2 3/4mandrel bent system from buedesert exaust from the turbo back for around $1200.
they will freight anywhere and the systems are really easy to fit. i still dont get why you wont a 3" system when thats all they run on much larger engines that produce lots more power? as far as tiapan systems go they look really neat but i recon they only have the dies for 3" because thats all they ever seam to sell.
but whatever works is good

i paid 1100 for 3" turbo back straight through fitting included and made so it was nice and high.

how exactly did you get the turbo out? i just dont quite see in which order to remove everything, lol

cheers

The order was, undo exhaust from bottom of cat converter, remove top inlet oil pipe from turbo, undo bottom oil pipe bolts and remove them, remove 3 nuts on studs holding turbo to exhaust manifold. Pull turbo, dump pipe and cat out as complete unit.

bob said:
Don't know how much you guys are paying but i recently got 2 3/4mandrel bent system from buedesert exaust from the turbo back for around $1200.

I only went the 3" because it came with a new dump pipe, the guys I bought it from didn't replace the dump pipe on the 2.5" system they also sell. The system I got was $700 so there is a fair saving going with this over the Beaudesert system, but there is a little rooting around making it fit, where I'm guessing the Beaudesert system fits up easily.

when i got my exhaust done they flanged the cat for me, i pulled it off to see if it made a difference to noise and lag....big difference, turbo spools earlier again and its got a better sounding note. I put the cat back on....for now.

Ok, it's done! What a day, had a couple of things I didn't anticipate.

1. Two studs on turbo are about 60mm long to suit the standard dump pipe, this meant that to get the dump pipe off the turbo, it required the turbo to come out altogether, in the pic you will see the bit of tube I used on the long stud, also I had to remove 2 of the studs and swap them round to get the dump pipe on. One good point about this was I now know my turbo is in good nick, no slop in the bearings and it spins freely.

How did you remove the studs from the turbo???

Last edited by a moderator:
Just used a set of vice grips on the non thread section of the stud, came out pretty easy, they weren't rusted on the threads at all, looks like the nickel plating on the bolts is holding up fine.

How did you remove the studs from the turbo???

Easiest way to do is put two nuts onto the stud and lock them against each other. Then put your spanner on the first nut and wind the stud out. I replaced these two studs with 65mm bolts so I don't have to wind the studs out next time I pull the dump pipe and cat off.

Finished fitting some of the exhaust. Haven't fitted the cat or muffler yet, sounds like a f**ken mack truck. Will get around to fitting the rest tomorrow arvo. Boost pick up is miles quicker and the flat spot has gone just on take off :) :)

Sruts came out easy, replaced 'em with 1.5" bolts all round, make 'em easier next time.

Hehe, it does sound awesome with just the dump pipe fitted, but I couldn't hack that noise day and day out. You'll be surprised how much quieter it gets once that rear muffler goes on.

Hehe, it does sound awesome with just the dump pipe fitted, but I couldn't hack that noise day and day out. You'll be surprised how much quieter it gets once that rear muffler goes on.

Yeah, Failed in last attempt to install so put it in the 2 hard basket!

Had some spare time on the weekend and tried again, with some ramps (worlds best invention for getting under ur car in driveway). Figured out one of the flanges was twisted on the down pipe making it hit the front driveshaft. Got the local muffler guys fixing it tomorrow :)

FYI: Noticed they're now selling the dump and down pipe as an all in one unit now :happy_smile: would have saved me some time!

haha who needs ramps, just get bigger tyres.

:agree: quite handy testin' flex to measure for new shocks :idea:

Flexin.jpg

Caution! Massive Winge Below....

The guy I took it to, left his brain at home today. (and he must live in China)
Told him exactly what needed to be done, but did he do it....
Instead of just cutting the flange off, bolting the down pipe up to the other end of the exhaust, tacking it in the right position and welding it (job done), He thought no i'll try and rebend the dump pipe (incorrectly, see later). Then cause he stuffed the bend up he had to move the exhaust hanger on the transfer foward one hole (40mm) and reweld it higher, bend the muffler hangers and move the rear mount (near the spare) forward 40mm to fit with the incorrectly bent Down pipe (ie move the whole exhaust [cat to end] forward) Then because the down pipe was hitting the driveshaft, he just bashed the pipe with a hammer to give it more clearance.

And charged me 100 big ones.

To top it all off, he has cross threaded the bolt attaching it to the transfer.

Real professional this Guy.

On second thoughts, he must be a woman because no man could be this bad.

What would you guys do in this situation???

Latest posts

Back