3" exhaust=worse fuel ecomomy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcs

Reaction score
my 06 d40 auto has just had turbo back 3" exhaust fitted with a high flow cat and muffler. driving the same as i always do, i now seem to be atleast 50k's short on my fuel range. the car run's much smoother now, but with no real performance gain. any reason why this may occur?

Eric, When my 2.75 was fitted the tuner insisted on resetting the ECU then I had to go for a drive for the relearn before it went on the dyno. Have you reset yours after the upgrade?, also fueling up at some servo's will cause worse consumption compared to usual.

g'day john. no, i haven't done a reset, but will give it a go, i have it written down somewhere, just that i haven't heard of anyone else doing a reset, other than you now.
and i don't have a dedicated servo i fill up from either!
cheers
eric

Yep not sure if it will help mate, I guess the donk is breathing a little differnt than standard. I would probably clean the maf sensor before the reset as well.

Hi Eric

1 idea.

Did you car have a DPF? If you've removed it your ecu will be throwing extra fuel into your exhaust trying to heat the exhaust to get the dpf to operate.

There's been a lot of anecdotal evidence supporting the idea that a larger exhaust will provide better economy, and with the easier evacuation of the exhaust gas beyond the turbine providing less back-pressure (better flow) you could imagine that it might help even if only very marginally. But that's where it ends.

Reducing the velocity or reducing the pressure of the gas leaving the turbine (same gas volume in a larger pipe means either lower pressure OR lower flow rate) shouldn't ever negatively affect the engine's performance. It's questionable whether it has ANY effect in my mind. The performance of the engine based on exhaust flow should rightly end at the outlet of the turbocharger's turbine chamber. The inlet (plus vanes) governs how hard the turbine can be driven by the exhaust, but once the exhaust exits the turbine chamber's outlet, it's all over - the energy of the hot exhaust is spent, backpressure doesn't have any effect on the exhaust manifold, and it's then just a matter of getting rid of it. And that will happen quite nicely with the stock exhaust. A larger exhaust will simply let that happen more easily and provide a different engine note.

So with that out of the way - the conclusion is that any reduction in performance/economy might be from another source, or entirely coincidental.

Since the exhaust was worked on, I would be checking the turbocharger-exhaust manifold connection for leaks. Mine came loose, made the gasket vibrate like a reed instrument, car became a little more sluggish and of course that increases fuel consumption.

Latest posts

Back