3 inch lift and insurance?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hosery

Reaction score
I had a bit of a search but didnt find out every thing. Well a mate just brought a patrol and his insurer said they wont cover him because his ute is lifted 3 inchs. So that gets me thinking my nav has been lifted 3 inchs plus torsion bars wound up. My insurance place covered me but is that them just getting more money and if i crash they will knock me back. As far as i no 2 inch lift is maximum legal lift. Correct me if im wrong. So what has everyone done with big lifts. Can you just pull the wool over the insurers eyes and say its a 2 inch lift? Or are they a lot amarter than that. lol. Oh also im in Vic

It's upto you mate if you wan to risk
It's. Most insurers won't bother trying to blame aftermarket Uca's for an acco.
But as I say to everyone if you're worried I'll take the Uca's off your hands haha

If you're worried your insurance company is just agreeing to take your money and not pay out in the event of an accident get them to send you an updated policy statement stating you are insured for each and every modification that is on your car and makes sure each mod is listed on the policy not just generic terms like "suspension lift" or "bigger exhaust".

If they aren't willing to provide written confirmation that you are insured after each modification they will always have an instant out or they aren't offering you insurance on that modification. Written confirmation should always be provided to the insured party and as far as I know it's illegal for them not to provide such information, what it's not illegal for them to do is provide 15 pages of policy statement in ambiguous terms that the average person doesn't read and assumes coverage is across the board.

The idea of trying to trick the insurance company is stupid, after all if they returned the favour by tricking you (because you haven't read or asked for an updated policy) you'd be pissed off, what makes you think they wont be equally pissed when it comes time to handing over cash if you tried to trick them.

i got a $5 increase when i put new susp. in my lancer...

they asked if i had lowered it, i said no but put better components in ie. coilovers

they just asked how much it cost and who i had it done by to make sure that it was adr approved

for those who wonder, Tein etc.. most of these brands arent adr approved so they must be engineered, its funny seeing all the skylines etc being put over the pits and getting defect notices

Think you will find even if the exact components are listed and height lifted etc. it will still come down to being road worthy or not so if it doesn't meet the standards used in your state they will still have an out. The only way to get arround it 100% is to go down the engineering path.
I also know people with "illigal" vehicles writing them off and being fully payed out so it's all a bit of a gamble I guess, and unless the cause of the accident was found to be due to the lift you most likely could get away with it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I think just for peace of mind ill go suss out my insurance policy again. Also krafty i was just joking saying trick the insurer that its only a 2 inch lift im not quite that dumb. If my insurer does turn out to say that im not going to be covered can anyone suggest any good insurance companies to try

Latest posts

Back