32" or 33"

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Have now got 2+2 lift and 16X8 +20 steelies with standard tyres.

I have read a lot of posts on here regarding the difference and rims etc but not much on how they are after they fit them. I'd imagine I would use slightly more fuel around town but less on the highway. What are you guys finding?

Is it worth going 33" over 32"? Prefer 33" at this stage mainly for extra ground clearance speedo correction less revs on highway and fills up the wheels arch.

I only drive my ute a short distance to work and go to fraser a couple times a year and the odd offroad trip.

Will be keeping a spare set of tie rod adjusters in case they bend like a banana.

Is there anything I should be worried about going 33" over 32"?

Thanks for the help in advance guys!!!

Cheers

Yep- poor or high fuel consumption. Poor acceleration. Reduced braking performance.

With the braking it's not so much the everyday driving, normal braking, you may not even notice any difference but in an emergency crash stop, you will. The braking distance will be longer.

I know, I know but I'm the party pooper. :)

Thanks for the link. I have had a live axle with 33" tyres and the fuel braking and acceleration suffered. The ride was softer and had better offroad abilities. So I have a fair idea about the general differences. Looking at finding out more specific issues with the d22.

Is there any specific downsides to d22 with 33" tyres. I have seen tie rods bending is that the only drive train issue or are people breaking diffs? And what is rough increase in fuel consumption around town. I'm assuming highway will be the same if not better economy.
Cheers 🍻

Bazz I wouldn't be to worried about what the 33's are going to brake it would be the stopping distance that would worry me.

For example the average vehicle traveling at 60K's takes around 45 meters to stop, going to a larger diameter wheel could increase the braking distance by say 5 meters, perhaps more. Even Icemans seat of the pants meter says around 10%. So with a larger diameter wheel it will now take say 50 meters to come to a stop. Now say that flighty kid running out is 45 meters in front. Previously you would came to stop resting against the kid but with the larger diameter wheels you will hit that at approximately at 30kph. That's over 2000Kg hitting an object say 30 or 40 Kg. @ 30K's and carrying it another 5 meters. Ouch! We'll leave the maths in the cupboard for now but the way it works is the greatest portion of speed is knocked off in the last few meters of the stop. You can't escape the laws of physics.

If you were ever in a situation as above you may find yourself having a case to answer. When they find you have increased the overall diameter by more than 25mm

Not saying don't do it, just playing devil's advocate :)

Bazz I wouldn't be to worried about what the 33's are going to brake it would be the stopping distance that would worry me.

For example the average vehicle traveling at 60K's takes around 45 meters to stop, going to a larger diameter wheel could increase the braking distance by say 5 meters, perhaps more. Even Icemans seat of the pants meter says around 10%. So with a larger diameter wheel it will now take say 50 meters to come to a stop. Now say that flighty kid running out is 45 meters in front. Previously you would came to stop resting against the kid but with the larger diameter wheels you will hit that at approximately at 30kph. That's over 2000Kg hitting an object say 30 or 40 Kg. @ 30K's and carrying it another 5 meters. Ouch! We'll leave the maths in the cupboard for now but the way it works is the greatest portion of speed is knocked off in the last few meters of the stop. You can't escape the laws of physics.

If you were ever in a situation as above you may find yourself having a case to answer. When they find you have increased the overall diameter by more than 25mm

Not saying don't do it, just playing devil's advocate :)

Thanks Tappet :)

Yeah I know what you mean in normal driving conditions in the past I have found it is easy to adjust as you know the braking is now slower, but in an emergency situation you can only brake as best the car will brake. As you said physics.

In Qld under QCOP you can increase tyre Diameter by 50mm however 33" are 56mm over stock, and 32" is 26mm over stock.

Leaning toward 32" at this stage. But 33" does look good, in the long run not sure if I would benefit from 33" as I only go offroad couple times a year and that's mostly beach driving.

Thanks for input fellas!!!

33" 12.5" r15
uploadfromtaptalk1416737580355.jpg

Thanks for the input guys, taking it all into consideration.

Can anyone else also share their views please? Cheers!!

Ive run 32's for a while now and i don't think i would want to go any bigger. i notice the lack of acceleration a bit offroad. especially when starting on steep hills. even first gear low is gutless.

Ive run 32's for a while now and i don't think i would want to go any bigger. i notice the lack of acceleration a bit offroad. especially when starting on steep hills. even first gear low is gutless.

Hey Sam, what's your rig? What mods etc? Sorry if it's in your garag etc I can't work out how to get to that it tapatalk.

Cheers,
-scott

I run 33s off road and 32s on road/everyday, only reason for this was i was unable to engineer it with 33s when i first got it done but now have the 33s approved and plated so i will sell the 32s.
Uses a little more fuel and is a bit slower on take off and occasionally have to go back a gear on some hills but that doesn't bother me as it will never be a fast car. Worth it for off road and the little bit more clearance and in low range i have not noticed any negatives.

Have had 32's and a 2+2 for over 2 yr.'s now and am really happy with the set up. Yes the Nav would look a lot tougher with 33's but have decided to stick with 32's as reliability is a lot more important to me than an extra half inch of clearance

Hey sunny been thinking of getting the same setup, got some side and front pics of your ute?? I think 32 is plenty for what these utes are arable of. I just don't think 33's will get your any further off road then 32's.

Latest posts

Back