400 hp ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJ.Abroad

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm doing a rebuild to my D22 Nissan Navara STR 2004 model. Granted with it a 3.0L, i still feel there's not alot involving performance diesel compared to American trucks. Although the 3.0 has a reputation of being ´Completely F**king Useless´ i still remain optimistic. The idea here is, that if money nor time was a concern, how would you make your 3l into a truck puller. How would you overcome the problem of unreliability.

Guys, go wild. How would you build this truck?:feedback::driver:

I imagine if you wanted a mental zd30 you would start with an engine build with forged pistons and wotnot.

Bluenavara's 300Hp was done with a D40 (more advanced engine) and my guess is that it's living near the edge of longevity-power. 400Hp would be over the edge, into the realm of racing engines - high performance at the cost of longevity (that's if you can go that far).

It might be achievable. I think one of the Jaguar XK8 models had a supercharger with integral intercooler, that's the first thing I'd be looking to bolt on. Higher-domed pistons to increase the compression ratio, then look at modifying the fuel (eg gas, alcohol, water).

I think it'd be a big struggle and a lot of money - not to mention how illegal it would be with a huge supercharger hanging out of the bonnet.

Hey Guys,

I'm doing a rebuild to my D22 Nissan Navara STR 2004 model. Granted with it a 3.0L, i still feel there's not alot involving performance diesel compared to American trucks. Although the 3.0 has a reputation of being ´Completely F**king Useless´ i still remain optimistic. The idea here is, that if money nor time was a concern, how would you make your 3l into a truck puller. How would you overcome the problem of unreliability.

Guys, go wild. How would you build this truck?:feedback::driver:

explain how there useless and unreliably?

i would say the ZD30 is far from useless, and i wouldn't say they are unreliable in the D22's. fair enough on its early run in the patrol they had some troubles but that seems to be have cleared up somewhat.

Type in ZD30 in google and there will be a whole page about it. I haven't had that much trouble with mine, Had it inter-cooled and 20 psi, and was going well.

BlueNavaras was quite good, nice manifold construction and beautiful car. The YD25 has less displacement, but a higher fuel injection pressure(which is more important). 300hp maybe the extent at which the zd30 can operate best at. With the amount of fuel and available level of injection pressure, it may cause a little dismay within the green community's.

thought about pumping the compression ratio, but then figured that for the amount of fuel it could be a little risky. Aftermarket Turbo, chip, Water to air intercooler, ARP Head Studs, Heavier Valve springs, ACL Duralite Pistons and rings, Forged Conrods.

For 400 Hp it is around 66c a km and 50psi boost.

Thing that concerns me, is keeping it cool under heavy load. Potentially a need for a Larger Radiator.

Interesting.....well I just changed the turbo, water to air intercooler, chip, 3inch exhaust, Dyno tune, 864Nm at the rear wheels, thats more than a standard twin turbo Toyota 200 (in Nm)
And thats running 33.5 inch tyres, could gain another 20% if I went back to the standard size....

i can't see why you couldn't get some deent power out of the zd30. biggest headache is the pistons. a set of forged pistons, maybe ones with better cooling design, thermal coatings could also help.
good intercooling would be a must have.
then its just sort the fuelling side and the injection pump. the yanks have a few tricks with the pump, plus adding lift pump would help.

then hope like hell the driveline can handle it.

Type in ZD30 in google and there will be a whole page about it. I haven't had that much trouble with mine, Had it inter-cooled and 20 psi, and was going well.

BlueNavaras was quite good, nice manifold construction and beautiful car. The YD25 has less displacement, but a higher fuel injection pressure(which is more important). 300hp maybe the extent at which the zd30 can operate best at. With the amount of fuel and available level of injection pressure, it may cause a little dismay within the green community's.

thought about pumping the compression ratio, but then figured that for the amount of fuel it could be a little risky. Aftermarket Turbo, chip, Water to air intercooler, ARP Head Studs, Heavier Valve springs, ACL Duralite Pistons and rings, Forged Conrods.

For 400 Hp it is around 66c a km and 50psi boost.

Thing that concerns me, is keeping it cool under heavy load. Potentially a need for a Larger Radiator.

don't get the patrol zd30 and navara zd30 confused. blokes were pushing 25-30psi through the patrol and they were making 170+kw at the wheels, what would be around 550-600nm (engine). They are actually a really strong bottom end but as teak said there weakness lie in the pistons, however im not sure if the navara had different piston design so there may be some wiggle room, otherwise ceramic coat or forged pistons would open up a whole new ball game.
the only other area is that the head is alloy unlike the TD42 (steel) so i wouldn't aim to run anymore than 30psi.

boost won't worry the alloy head at all.
bluenavara and a few others are running 40psi in the yd25.
some of the bmw etc are 50psi.
boost is only part of the equation.

the downside to the zd30 is the injection. its a 2 stage continues injection rather than muilti pulse that the common rail has.

you could also look at using the patrol common rail version of the zd30.

don't get the patrol zd30 and navara zd30 confused. blokes were pushing 25-30psi through the patrol and they were making 170+kw at the wheels, what would be around 550-600nm (engine).

170 kwts at the wheels that is approx. 220kwts at the flywheel sounds very hard to understand just like milkman's claim of 800 plus nm come on.

Mate i put a Garrett VNT Turbo,2.5 inch system big dump pipe and chip and on the dyno it puts out approx 135kw and around 400-415nm,there is NO WAY you are going to get 800 at the rear wheels with what the Milkman reckon's he is playing with himself

Mate i put a Garrett VNT Turbo,2.5 inch system big dump pipe and chip and on the dyno it puts out approx 135kw and around 400-415nm,there is NO WAY you are going to get 800 at the rear wheels with what the Milkman reckon's he is playing with himself
He has claimed that for ages I bet he has about 130hp at the wheels if his lucky that would relate to your correct figures the old zd30 tried and proven will not produce those numbers normally.

^ yep, for an easy 400hp you would go for an rb25, 1jz, crate v8, powerstroke diesel, or a million other engines. You would want to be a slightly masochistic mechanical engineer with a deep back pocket and nothing better to do than try and get 400hp out of a zd30 or any other light commercial diesel engine.

Latest posts

Back