4cyl v 6cyl

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belle

Reaction score
Hey I am wondering if anyone can tell me; is there much difference in running costs between the 3L and the 3.3L turbo Diesels? Around the 2005/2006 models.

I am wanting to buy but have stayed away from the 6cyl models. Is there much of a difference??? Thanks, belle x

The 3.3l is the petrol version and uses round the 15l per 100km. The 3l turbo diesel uses about 10l per 100km. Power wise there isn't alot in it. My 3l td smokes the V6 version, but, I have alot of mods.

For torque, engine longevity and fuel economy go the 3l diesel. May cost a few bucks more at initial purchase but worth it in the long run.

My 2c.

I chose the diesel over the petrol because diesel fuel provides more power per litre than petrol.

The old argument of "diesel is simpler" doesn't work any more - my diesel is as complex as any computerised petrol engine. I can, however, submerge my engine without worrying about modifications to the ignition system (still have to worry about the turbo, but that's a patience issue and not a "spend money on it" thing).

Diesels are known to last longer as well. Whether that bears truth in the long run with mine or not I will eventually find out. It's my first diesel-powered vehicle and I'm quite happy with it.

With the high cost of diesel, I don't think there is alot of difference in running costs. Diesel is better for offroading and long distance touring, petrol more suited as a daily driver around town, a bit easier to drive in traffic.

Ok, so it is a much of a muchness.

Thank you so much for your opinions. I have only had a diesel patrol before and am definetly leaning towards another diesel.
belle x

With the high cost of diesel, I don't think there is alot of difference in running costs. Diesel is better for offroading and long distance touring, petrol more suited as a daily driver around town, a bit easier to drive in traffic.

Diesel is actually cheaper than unleaded at the servos around here, but in saying that if a 3l diesel gets 8 to 11l regurlarly per hundred and petrol 3.3l get lets say 10-16l per hundred kays (depends on driving situations of course) that means for those extra kays adding up every 100k its about $5-$7 on average more for a petrol, thats how it is in my situation, so over a tank full it adds up.
Im not sure how you mean a petrol engine is easier to use as a daily driver around town, its the same as a diesel, it all depends how much throttle you give and that translates to power. The new diesels are smooth and responsive.

Diesel is actually cheaper than unleaded at the servos around here, but in saying that if a 3l diesel gets 8 to 11l regurlarly per hundred and petrol 3.3l get lets say 10-16l per hundred kays (depends on driving situations of course) that means for those extra kays adding up every 100k its about $5-$7 on average more for a petrol, thats how it is in my situation, so over a tank full it adds up.
Im not sure how you mean a petrol engine is easier to use as a daily driver around town, its the same as a diesel, it all depends how much throttle you give and that translates to power. The new diesels are smooth and responsive.

The same? I have a d40 manual it is not smooth or responsive compared to its petrol twin. First time I went from petrol to diesel I thought the hand brake was stuck on!

I would take petrol any day over diesel as a daily driver. If your not touring or doing meter deep river crossings, there really is no need for an oil burner in the city. IMO

The D40 diesel is certainly a slug until the turbo kicks in, and then it's hell-for-leather. As a daily driver, the D40 isn't as smooth as petrol.

I must point out that the D40 auto is not bad as a daily, which I also use mine for - as long as I'm just minding my own business and not trying to race everyone at the lights. When you're looking for crisp power as soon as the foot goes down, the diesel is disappointing.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not unhappy with my choice at all. I am a bit past the drag racing at each intersection, so don't need the power like that - I'm happy bringing it on slowly.

The same? I have a d40 manual it is not smooth or responsive compared to its petrol twin. First time I went from petrol to diesel I thought the hand brake was stuck on!

I would take petrol any day over diesel as a daily driver. If your not touring or doing meter deep river crossings, there really is no need for an oil burner in the city. IMO

Id take my diesel over a petrol any day anywhere. In the city, stuck in traffic, itll idle along at just the right speed :big_smile: just have to use the clutch to stop and go.

Josh, you're right there mate. Luckily I have the auto in my V6 D40, but also have 2 manual petrols and they are shithouse in traffic. The diesel manuals would be much more bearable, being able to drive it with the clutch only.

Dunno whether anyone else has seen it but 4WD Action (I think it was) did a diesel v petrol comparison in a recent edition. They didn't use any off the shelf new cars for their tests but they did test them in a variety of conditions and configurations. Their bottom line....

Diesel V Petrol, Auto V Manual, it's largely a preference thing, they did point out what they consider to be the pros and cons of both which made slightly interesting reading but like so many before them they still weren't game to put their money on one configuration knowing that different people prefer different things and expect different things from their cars.

Working as a tradesman in the city my car is very easy to drive and as stated before all that is required in stop start traffic is clutch movement. As for being a slug or slow thats non existant in my case, the gas is awesome it makes it feel like a petrol powered 4b. And one day when the turbo is hi flowed there will be no lag at all.
I agree that it does come down to personal choice and same goes for auto vs man but what about the new hyundais or peugeots and the rest that are diesel, there family cars and what about europe, most of there cars are diesel and its mostly all in city's.

what about the new hyundais or peugeots and the rest that are diesel

That's an exceptional point. Ford used a 3-cylinder diesel engine to manufacture the most fuel-efficient vehicle on the market. The VW Golf turbo diesel apparently can go 1,000km on a tank (55 litres). Diesel seems to be the flavour of the month.

Don't forget, though, that diesels need servicing and it costs more to service a diesel than it does a petrol car.

Last edited:
Diesels are moving into the market a lot more here and overseas more so, although I'm not sure how many small car drivers go into the Peugot dealer and compare the diesel engine power and torque to that of something like a small petrol Holden.

Those buying diesels in 4x4's and small trucks are more likely to make the comparison and more likely to have a use or preference for one or the other I would think. Then again in a lot of cases I'm still willing to bet that in comes down to what the salesman can convince someone they need, those who know what they need buy it those who don't may not necessarily understand exactly what is best for them and their situation.

Don't forget, though, that diesels need servicing and it costs more to service a diesel than it does a petrol car.

Actually the servicing thing is one area that had me interested in the 4wd Action article. They claimed all diesels require more frequent servicing at 5000ks however Mr Nissan claims my car only needs it every 10000ks.

At 5K it's clear that a diesel needs more regular servicing than a petrol however when it comes to larger diesels they easily go 15K - 20K between servicing so even servicing figures aren't always worth the paper they are written on sometimes.

That's true. I queried my dealer about the 5k/10k issue and they basically said that for normal driving conditions, 10k services are fine and the warranty will be intact. Good enough for me, and we didn't get a lot of dust in our trip, just a couple of 40C days and that was all.

I'm not completely comfortable with that - diesels blow past the rings a lot more than petrols thanks to the stronger combustion, impacting on the crank oil (which is why there's a PCV and why so many guys fit catch cans). I should stick my head in now and take a peek at the oil, since we've done over 10k now - and then at 15k I'll take another look.

The servicing cost in dollar terms is also higher for diesel versions, which is what I was referring to, but the frequency is something we don't often remember (thanks to a company that seems to think it's ok to not bother until 10,000km).

Diesels do require more services or so were told, my old boss's diesel mercedes vito van required services every 20,000k that was a log book service. I personally would not wait that long and my mechanic has stated no matter what engine an oil is an oil and does wear out and to use it to its full potential before it starts not doing its intended job it should be changed every 5000k. Maybe he just wants my business, but i believe that theory.
Iv also driven a peugeot diesel a 2006 mdl car, it was automatic and the car pulled like a steam train, it did take probably a sec to kick in speed but to me it felt as quick as an aussie v6, in saying that a v6 might initially take off quicker but the diesel would be driving next to it by 60km/h.
Is that new ford a diesel, my mate swears its a petrol powered car?

Latest posts

Back