4wd light coming on when water is splashed underneath car

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40NAVY

Reaction score
hey new to this,
i have a D40 nav and want to know if anbody can help,
ive just replaced the 3 sensors two days ago, it seems to be changing but when water is splashed underneath car 4wd light appears, any suggestions?:popcorn1:

I'm forever finding new ways to twist my noggin around, and this place comes up with most of them without me having to look far, and this one is a pearler.

The only reason I can think of is a faulty sensor/wiring loom/connector on the transfer case.

With the car parked in your driveway in neutral with the handbrake on and the engine idling, what happens if you spray a hose underneath? Do it slowly from the back of the engine towards the rear of the car and get someone to shout once the 4WD light comes on - you'll know roughly where the problem is.

mine did that too, after my accident when ever it rained. and it would stay on for a day maybe 4 maybe 7 then off for two weeks then back on and so on so forth.

finally got it into nissan and the seal in the axle had failed and spurted oil on the sensor, they fixed that and the light stayed on, so they fixed something else and it was still on. eventually they realised the OIL had damaged the ABS Sensor beyond repair and a new one was ordered, never had a problem since...

given youve replaced 3, my guess is take it to nissan and get it scanned and they will tell you which one is buggered and why.

oh ok, cause i took it to nissan and they told me it was the sensors on the transfer case, so would a ABS sensor also cause this problem to occurr?

it was fine today on the beach going over water and that was fine, drove it on the road fine.. then took it for a bit of a dirt strap and light come on again,..BUT this time when id switch it too 4h the 4WD light would come on, put it in 4lo and it wouldnt.. this carried on for about 20 mins before something weird occured. the signal on the dash was showing it was in 2WD but had 4lo underneathe what does that mean ?

Latest posts

Back