4WD light flashing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt87

Reaction score
Hi guys

I have tried searching this fault but couldn't find something close enough.

I have an 08 auto d40 and When I select either 4LO or 4HI the light on my dash showing all four wheels flashes meaning it hasn't locked in. It has done this for a while ad I have never had a problem when four wheel driving but I think it's time to look into it.

Is this a common fault?
Any ideas where to start looking?

If you are stationary you must put your foot on the brake & shift to park or neutral, but if you are driving & select 4HI it should flash then stop flashing to show it's engaged.

So are you doing the above?

Mine (2008 manual STX) will flash too unless I am completely stopped, in neutral, brake pedal applied (as NDR4 described). Then it will only flash for as long as it takes for the system to drop into low range.

I always stop and put it into park before I select 4Lo or Hi, but it just keeps on flashing. Every now and while I wait in park it will stop flashing so I give it a minute then I go to take off and as soon as I select drive it stops flashing

My 2010 auto has done it before just driving on road in 2wd ended up being a neutral switch in tranny

odd size tyres can also cause this. ie different brands, treads, wear. the abs sensors monitor rotation speeds and they have to be the same. but as above id check the sensors on the box first.

Some clarification is in order.

First - the four wheels only flash when 4WD is being engaged - and this only happens when you shift from 2WD to 4HI (a change to 4LO does NOT engage 4WD since 4WD is already engaged!). You can change from 2HI to 4HI and back when your vehicle is moving but they recommend that you do it below 100km/h. Many recommend that you ONLY do it when you are on a loose/slick surface and even then only when you are likely to lose traction. You don't need to have your foot on the brake, or have the car in neutral for this.

Second, the change from 4HI to 4LO requires that your car is STOPPED with your foot ON the brake and the gearbox in neutral. When you switch it over and the conditions are correct you will hear a thunk from beneath the car as the drive ratio changes. 4WD is already engaged at this point (normally) so the four wheels should have already been solid and should remain that way.

My initial guess on the problem here is the servo or its electrical connection. There are a couple of relays in the engine bay for the transfer case - open the little box that's behind your battery and have someone listen to it while you engage from 2WD to 4WD - the relays should click. Remove them one by one, inspect the feet, reinstall before removing the next one. This should clean any contacts that might be dirty.

Failing that, I'd guess the servo has failed - it's happened before. Also had someone rip the wires out of theirs while on a track, and they used a flat screwdriver to engage 4LO - turn the mechanism 90 degrees to engage 4HI and then a further 180 degrees in the same direction to engage 4LO. You could try that just to make sure the mechanical stuff works, then while you're under the car (with the car up on stands preferably) check the servo works with a helper in the cabin while you have the servo in your hands.

Thanks guys for some ideas

I always shift as you said there tony. I do hear a clunk every time I shift to 4LO and the gearing/speed is different when driving. I'll check the operation of the relays tonight when I get home

Cheers boys

No need to check - if you hear the clunk and the ratios are dramatically different, it's done its job - the problem must be in the transfer sensor in the TF case. I wonder if a code for that will show up in a general ECU query - you might need access to a CONSULT device.

Cool, I just checked electrical connections on my transfer case and at he back of it there is a black adaptor attached where electrical connection is attached. The shroud seems to be cracked to the electrical connector. All other connections look clean and secure.

Thanks buddy

I might take it somewhere other than Nissan to get it fixed

I will let u guys know the outcome

Latest posts

Back