50mm tire increase rumor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commercial vehicles in Vic can go up 50mm in tyre size, but not all states are the same.

Hi everyone,

It's usually a pretty simple matter to educate yourself on the legalities of wheel and tyre fitment in your state or territory.

The national guidelines are located here:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/ro...ction_LS_Suspension_and_steering_3Feb2006.pdf

As I have discussed in other thread however, these national guidelines have no legal basis - it is up to your local jurisdiction to implement them - the purpose of the national guidelines is to get some consistency across the nation....

In the ACT, the rules are simple. Follow the national guidelines. From the horses mouth:
http://www.rego.act.gov.au/assets/PDFs/Light Vehicle Modifications in the ACT.pdf

For other states and territories, I'm sure plenty of people will be thankful if someone from each state and territory will take the time to look up the document for their home state or territory and post a link.

In my opinion however, rumour of "do you know if this is true" and "I heard that maybe" don't serve much good when it comes to legal issues. Not having a go, just that "I heard that maybe..." won't help you when My Plod slaps a defect sticker on your windscreen.

Seriously, even tyre shop guys here in Canberra tried to tell me till I was blue in the face that I couldn't fit 265/75R16 rubber to my D40 because it was illegal. I actually appreciated their advice - not a bad thing that they brought it to the customers attention in my opinion. But because I had done my research, I knew I could fit up to 50mm increased diameter.

The advice I would give is that if the information is published by a Gov't department - then it is public domain and enforceable. The same cannot unfortunately be said about the word of someone over the phone at a say, the technical standards office of the local Road Transport Authority office who may be having a bad day, and may just have a brain fade and give you a bum steer when you ask a question.... They might have just come out of a meeting and tell you "Yeah, you can go 50mm here in the great state of X" then hang up the phone.....and think to himself....."oh, hang on....we were just talking about that in a meeting....and no you can't....you can only go 15mm unless we endorse that national proposal that we don't want to endorse.......oh well, his problem".

System sucks, but it's the system.

Latest posts

Back