accelerator pedal rattle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you's all should take a good look at your pedel box inside the cab.

As mentioned 4 M12 nuts, two on either side of the pedal assembly, against the firewall.
87f74347.jpg

Mines not the accelerator pedal had a bit of a play yesterday, as mentioned its definately clutch related as slight pressure to the clutch stops the rattle, will investigate further during the week, since ive quite smoking and the windows are up more often its really starting to annoy me..

After reading for hours on several forums I'm almost certainly convinced that the rattle you and I are hearing is the dual mass flywheel on the way out. It's a symptom of a failing dual mass flywheel as mentioned in several threads. Just my opinion anyway...and will be able to confirm in a few months when I install an Extremeclutch kit with brand new single mass flywheel. If noise gone than I'll be satisfied that was the cause, not to mention having an awesome clutch which will outperform the factory setup any day of the week!!

Interesting, look foward to the results!! Will still have a look as I now have a few more annoying rattles to sus out now.

After reading for hours on several forums I'm almost certainly convinced that the rattle you and I are hearing is the dual mass flywheel on the way out. It's a symptom of a failing dual mass flywheel as mentioned in several threads. Just my opinion anyway...and will be able to confirm in a few months when I install an Extremeclutch kit with brand new single mass flywheel. If noise gone than I'll be satisfied that was the cause, not to mention having an awesome clutch which will outperform the factory setup any day of the week!!

i just had the flywheel changed to a new dual mass, and the noise is no
different. ive been told from nissan that it is a known common
problem and they will issue people through the mail once they figure out the problem (under warrenty of course)

they said it could take a couple more months untill the problem is resolved.

my ute has done approx 24k on the clock and my clutch feels like
its on its was out already. please let me know how you go with the new one you are installing.

thanks, tim.

Rattle n Hum

Hello everyone. I'm a new member with the same issue. I've been reading these posts recently with relief that i'm not the only one with this issue. My D40 was on the road in January 2010. It now has about 25K on the clock. It has rattled in the engine bay since new whenever under acceleration. We always thought it was coming from the various pipes around the brake booster that are not very well retained. Went back to Westside Nissan three times to no avail. Went to Mount Gravatt Nissan yesterday for service and ta-daa they tell me it's the spring in the clutch slave cylinder and is subject to a recall. Recall i say, when were you going to tell me? mumble mumble no answer. Anyway they fixed the rattle, telling me it's a spring that does nothing which i find a bit odd. Felt like saying maybe it's job is to reduce future customer demand. Don't really know what they did as the explanation was a bit airyfairy but the feel of the car is now different. At the lights it is now much easier and smoother to takeoff without bogging down or over revving to compensate for the lack of torque. Hill starts are also much easier, i'd like to know the real story behind this issue.

Same issue, local Nissan dealer advised the issue is the clutch line vibrating against the firewall. Apparently it's where the line is wound in a coil, bending it away from the firewall fixed the vibration.

I've got my local dealer to contact Mt Gravatt to find out the details of the repair done on Bombadore's car. I'm booked in for the 10,000km service and having the clutch rattle seen to. Will get back to you with what was exactly done to the car when I get it back.

Well, took the car down this morning for the 10,000km service and to have the clutch issue fixed as they did for the guy earlier in this post at Mount Gravatt. Apparently there is a gold coloured cylinder situated on the firewall that has a spring in it. All they were going to do, on instruction from Nissan, was open this cylinder up and remove the spring?? Who knows what the spring did....but was ashored by my dealership that was what was done at the Mount Gravatt dealership after speaking with them.

Picked the car up and they told me they didn't touch it. They did a search this morning and there is a brand new Tech bulletin out about the issue. The bulletin calls for a redesign of a section of the clutch line which heads to the slave cylinder. The dealership has to order over ten (10) parts to complete this work!! When the parts arrive they will call me.

For those experiencing this rattle as described in the earlier posts (rattle stips with the slightest pressure on the clutch peddle) then the Tech Bulletin you need to quote to the dealership is CL11-001!! My eyes were scanning the paperwork!!

Interesting that they have acknowledged a known problem to you also. I don't give a toss what the issue was, i'm just happy they finally figured it out. I am a fairly mechanically minded person and i understand that some niggling issues can be frustrating to diagnose but more than 14 months is a long time to find a rattle. They told me they "adjusted all the play out of the offending spring" this could be interpreted as "we took it out and threw it in the bin pal." I'm saying this because the service manager dude spilled his guts a bit by saying. The suspected "dampener" spring "does nothing anyway mate". My bulldust sensor interprets that as probably meaning (we took it out and piffed it in the bin mate).

Last edited:
Thats exactly what they would have done mate. My dealership was told specifically by Nissan to locate the spring, pick it up and toss it in the bin!! My dealership as going to remove the spring as requested but put it aside in case it didn't work as they were perplexed as to why Nissan was telling them to toss it.

Then they found the Tech bulletin mentioned earlier and the story goes on. As long as your truck is going well I'd be happy too!! Like you say, it's just good to know they have finally located the problem and, more importantly, found a fix for it.

It shouldn't be long before they get the parts in so keep your eye on this thread cause I'll be letting everyone know what the repair feels like once it's completed.

Well as a bit of an experiment I took the spring assembly out of the dampner tonight just to see what it would do.
To be honest I don't notice any difference at all. I think I will put it back in and then inform my nissan stealership about the tech bullitin once bluessv gets his done.

Thanks heaps for posting the info mate.

What gets me but is that a clutch line doesn't cause a vibration. It might vibrate but it doesn't cause the vibration. We will see what happens anyway.

Yeah, i'm a bit iffy about the stated cause. The fact is they have fixed my problem so i'll stop bothering them. To my ears it always sounded like a pipe on pipe metallic rattle caused by different harmonics in all the plumbing at differing revs, with a couple of objects connecting just when they get the right wiggle going.
It actually made me drive a bit easy to control the noise as it concerned me that something may break if i allowed it to persist. Glad it's gone, i'm forgetting it already.

I have had this noise from day one also. I have done 30 000kms now and have told nissan countless times about the noise and have the dampner removed with no improvement. The noise stops when you rest your foot on the clutch pedal.

The admit to knowing about the issue now after telling me they knew nothing for so long and Nissan Japan is coming up with a part to stop the noise and as soon as it is available they will call me apparently... A mate was told by a different dealer that the part is available and will be put in his shortly.

Shaun

nes been doing this for ages now and has been discussed on various threads. i'll be taking this bulliten number to nissan on wednesday! thanks heaps!

Mine is going in on Tuesday as all parts have arrived at dealer. Not confident that it will be fixed as it seems to easy?? Will let everyone know though....fingers crossed!!

Well the D40 has had the new parts fitted as per the Technical Bulletin I've quoted. I had my head under the truck and have seen the new parts so I can confirm that the work was actually done.

I didn't hold my hopes up for this"fix" however I must say....drivability has improved out of sight!! The clutch grabs much lower on the pedal track, there is a more positive pedal feel and as a result it has improved the low down (off the mark) bogging down that I'm used to in the D40. I'm yet to get it out on the highway to see if the rattle is no longer there, but at thevery least the D40 drives great!!

I'd recommend any manual owner to have this work done!! Rattle or not!!

Well I was informed today by both my dealer and nissan customer service that the fix in place at the moment is only for the thai built trucks, but the spain built ones will be coming shortly. (perhaps a month) Annoying that they could not give me a definite time but hey. Dealer could not even be bothered to contact me when they find out. Just ring in a few weeks and see if it is in yet.

bluessv can you tell what parts are actually replaced? Pics at all possible? I am guessing it is something to do with the routing of the lines and maybe a better damper. Can't explain nissans obsession with having huge great lengths of clutch piping that runs up and down all over the place. Makes em a bitch to bleed too. I had this problem with a gq patrol I had.

Latest posts

Back