Adding 2-Stroke oil to Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
extra oil in an oil burner lol ;)

i think its more to do with the quality of fuel you get. even IF its up to spec (i think the cetane is under minimum for these motors) there is contamination by the time you get it to your ute.
i've heard comments of common rail users that kept having injectors fail until they used 2 stoke and had none fail.
i've had a couple lots of water in the fuel, diesel bug etc. local mech tells me the filters on the common rails go in white and come out black after 20tho.
we have had more than a few cases of bad diesel and suddenly heaps of pumps seals all let go at once. just because fuel is meant to be upto spec doesn't mean it always is.

putting oil into diesel is not new, its been done for a very long time even by manufactures. eg i think its cummins that have a lossy oil system, it squirts engine oil in to the fuel so you do't have to do oil changes.
tho 2 stoke burns better than plain engine oil.

extra oil in an oil burner lol ;)

i think its more to do with the quality of fuel you get. even IF its up to spec (i think the cetane is under minimum for these motors) there is contamination by the time you get it to your ute.
i've heard comments of common rail users that kept having injectors fail until they used 2 stoke and had none fail.
i've had a couple lots of water in the fuel, diesel bug etc. local mech tells me the filters on the common rails go in white and come out black after 20tho.
we have had more than a few cases of bad diesel and suddenly heaps of pumps seals all let go at once. just because fuel is meant to be upto spec doesn't mean it always is.

Something we all can keep an check on in our forum if it ever materialises.
Though i think so far no compliants of that on here.

Howdy all,

My first post here. Just been reading this thread in its entirety.

I've also read the Freelander forum thread as well as the USA report on diesel lubricity testing of the additive products available there.

Also been through the posts on the Nissan Patrol forums.

Seems to me that adding two stroke in the ratio of 200:1 (half a litre ever 100 litres of diesel) does lead to positive effects of reduced diesel clatter and marginal fuel economy benefits for the Navara diesel engine.

Which echos the other makes/maufacturers of diesel engines.

I have not found a particular make of engine where the two stroke additive is bad for the engine, so anecdotally, it seems to check out. I am taking the feedback from the posters who have noted perceived improvements to their vehicles, and kudos to them to try it out.

Keep the shiny side up, fellas!

:wash_truck:

I'd like to just point out (now that this thread has been resurrected) that Valvoline 2-stroke doesn't seem to give any benefits except the noise reduction, but the Castrol Activ 2T does. Marginal, yes - maybe up to half a litre per hundred km, but it's there. I'm not using 2-stroke right now, but will be during our Christmas trip - every little bit will help. Unless the Chemtech stuff proves to be better - I'll be checking that out soon.

I reckon you're doing good to be able to determine the half a litre per hundred improvement is down to the oil added. How are you sure it's got nothing to do with tyres wearing, having 2 passengers longer during one tank than another, more traveling in to head winds this tank to previous tanks, more weight for a period of time?

I'm not saying you are wrong but half a litre per hundred is so minimal that just about anything mentioned in the fuel economy thread could make that much difference and it's hard to blame or credit any one of them entirely.

Because my consumption went back up when I stopped using it. I'm not getting low 11s now, I'm getting mid 11s towards 12s. I didn't see any variation when I put Valvoline in - or stopped using it.

I do agree, however, that the figures may be tainted by a milder throttle usage or so, but the places being driven to haven't changed a whole lot over using/not using and because I consistently get similar results, I've a fair idea that there is at least a minor impact. Half a litre per hundred is quite marginal and while the figures do support it, let's call it an estimate.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for keeping this thread relevant with your personal experiences. For a while the signal-to-noise ratio was getting quite bad.

I have toyed with the idea of using cheaper/alternative two stroke oil like Valvoline, and even Castrols cheaper two stroke oil (for lawn mowers and the like). But I don't drive long enough distances to go through various different varieties of two stroke oils to be able to do a reasonably objective assessment. It seems that Castrol Activ 2T is an entirely suitable product for me, and I will just keep using it.

I'm happy with the marginal fuel economy benefits and possibly lower EGTs by adding two stroke oil to my fuel tank but the main motivator is simply to gain refinement to the running of the motor. I have been able to reproduce the gain in smoothness and lowered rattliness of my motor which many others have reported with theirs. As such, I've gone from being a curious skeptic at the start of my trial with two stroke oil to a convinced and happy driver.

I tend to keep my vehicles for a very long time so anything that I can do to improve the running of my vehicle and possibly increase it's reliability and longevity.

My current challenge is to find Castrol Activ 2T at a cheaper price than $39 odd for a 4 litre bottle at Supa Cheap. If there's a way of buying this product at a lower cost, I'd be happy to share this information.

Last edited:
so, ALLEDGEDLY at a saving of approx 3 1/2 ltr per tank,
approx $4.30 per tank,
how much is is the investment cost per tank in high quality 2 cycle oil???

Me thinks better value with an IGA fuel voucher

I add 300ml to a tank. That's about $3 worth of 2-stroke. It's worth about 40km extra to a tank of fuel, which would use 4.4 litres of fuel costing about $5.72, so it's a net saving of $2.72. Not much, but I also get quieter injectors that my IGA voucher may not give. The IGA voucher at best would save me $3.2, definitely cause less discussion on forums, have less opposition and probably would make life simpler.

Actually there's a good chance an IGA voucher will give me 20% bio, which is a major worry but also an issue for a different thread.

For me, I'm happy to try it out and speak from experience. I'm happy to bag Valvoline because I have tried it and it's proven nearly useless. I certainly wouldn't try using the cheaper lawn-mower grade oils - the whole point is to use a low-ash oil, particularly if you have a DPF but also if your CAT is intact. Chunky carbon deposits will cause both of these too much grief - that's why an oil that combusts completely is required. JASO-FC or better fits that bill. JASO-FD is in that "better" range but it is prohibitively expensive.

G'day Tony,

Someone on another forum did a test by purchasing small quantities of 2 stroke oils from different brands and specs and mixed each of these products into separate glass jars at home.

From his experiments, the Activ 2T was the only product that remained fully dissolved in the diesel without separating or making the fuel go cloudy. The experiment was conducted over several weeks just to make sure that the two stroke oil did not separate eventually.

If my memory serves me correctly, the fully synthetic product (JASO-FD) that he tested made the fuel go cloudy, so he struck it off his purchasing list. Perhaps the Castrol Activ 2T JASO-FC oil is good enough. It's pricier than the Penrite or Valvoline products but I think it's probably the right price vs value point for me.

Now if I can find it for sale at a very very good price point, I think I'm on a winner! :cheers!:

Old.Tony; Actually there's a good chance an IGA voucher will give me 20% bio said:
Oh well....

my IGA voucher/Caltex diesel doesnt give me 20% bio...

As for quieter engine.....maybe a petrol one is in order,
or pehaps turn the radio up.

For a while the signal-to-noise ratio was getting quite bad.

Itend to keep my vehicles for a very long time

This is what happens when you hang on a long time to old technology and dont accept other experiences.....

Get rid of the old 'crystal/transistor' technology and opt for new digital and you wont have and SNR worries.

:cheers!:

Do you trust Caltex Wandong's diesel tanks?

for 20 odd years have had no troubles concerning contaminants (Diesel or petrol) from those tanks......but in saying that the LPG didnt work in my old EF Ford,
but is fine in my XF ute.

cant say the same for the owners though.

for 20 odd years have had no troubles concerning contaminants (Diesel or petrol) from those tanks......but in saying that the LPG didnt work in my old EF Ford,
but is fine in my XF ute.

cant say the same for the owners though.

Fair enough. I still fill there when I don't have enough to make it to BP, but I'm always a little bit tender about it. That puts my mind at ease.

Not that I should worry, QD32 reliability.

Fair enough. I still fill there when I don't have enough to make it to BP, but I'm always a little bit tender about it. That puts my mind at ease.

Not that I should worry, QD32 reliability.

The Diesel at the large Caltex has high volume turnaround and runs out from time to time, so its filled quite regularly.

Back