advice needed please

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsgt

Reaction score
gday i want to buy a nissan navara d40 stx i will be doing some towing with your experience diesal or petrol and what year model should be looking for any advice welcome

All the advice I was given led me to choose the STX D40 Turbo Diesel Auto Dual Cab, which I picked up at the end of October 2009.

Having now done nearly 26,000km, I can say that I am extremely happy with it. I can take it offroad without fearing I'll get stuck. I can pull my current 1.8T van with relative ease.

Points against the diesel:

* More expensive service costs. Not a biggie in my book, because I'm paying less for fuel.

* More vehicle noise. The diesel is louder, especially when cold. I've gotten used to it already.

* It's not a race car. I had a Jaguar XJS, now THAT was a race car. 80km/h in a roundabout, 120km/h through a 35km/h corner ... yeah. The Jaguar emptied its 90L tank in 250km around town. 'Nuff said.

You know what I'd do? Go and drive both. See how they feel, hear how they sound. Listen to one go past. Remember that the diesel won't object to a water crossing (with snorkel fitted) but your petrol one will sit in the middle and drown.

You may never want to do a water crossing, but don't mind the sound of the diesel. Perhaps the sort-of sluggish feel before boost time is something you can live with - driving a small-capacity diesel IS different, and DOES take some getting used to. But you do that because of its capabilities, and its better economy (as far as I can tell).

Whichever way you go, good luck with it, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
I was torn between the two when buying new.I ended up going the v6 because I have a 2.2 tonne van and a 1.9 boat ,all up weight with either me being a mech just couldn't put a little 2.5 four through that amount of pull up hills, especially that I only buy auto's.
With198 Kw's I love the v6, I only tow the van maybe twice a year and the boat every three weeks during good weather and only a short distance to the ramp, so I considered the v6 better for me coz its smoother-quieter--less smelly--slightly more fuel cons--12/100 km single and 20/100 towing compared with 9/100 and 16/100 with the diesle but if you check out the complaints from this site and others, the diesles are having all the probs ith clutch-turbo's -smoke-power loss -etc...havent seen any probs with v6 auto's .. I reckon that i'll get more from my v6 than the diesles.......P.S. I am a diesle mechanic works on busses, so wouldn't you think I ould prefer a diesle......not a baby one thats for sure.

gday i want to buy a nissan navara d40 stx i will be doing some towing with your experience diesal or petrol and what year model should be looking for any advice welcome

Diesel auto for sure. Forget about a manual diesel,an auto is far more capable of towing a heavy load.

Latest posts

Back