Advice on D40 purchase

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dag

Reaction score
I’m considering the purchase of a 2008 D40, YD 25, auto, 135000 km, built in Spain. The vehicle has been serviced every 5000 km. My concern is the timing chain issue I’m reading about. Is the timing chain issue just applicable to Spain builds? After what year would it not be a concern? Would you buy it?

Mate if the price is right go for it. It’s easy enough to get someone to run a check on the timing chain. Every vehicle forum is full of doom n gloom and car issues. Some timing chains go at 40k others get 300k plus and still no issues. Maybe add and extra $2500 into your budget (if feasible) and get the timing chain sorted.

I agree - if it's in the budget, would hurt to do, maybe use that as a bargaining chip. Ask for a thousand or fifteen hundred off to go halves in the mod to ensure its a solid purchase. If the cars clean and is what you are after- why not

I agree - if it's in the budget, would hurt to do, maybe use that as a bargaining chip. Ask for a thousand or fifteen hundred off to go halves in the mod to ensure its a solid purchase. If the cars clean and is what you are after- why not
Thanks for the replies and advice. To further complicate the issue, I’m located on an island with very limited vehicle repair facilities. If a timing chain needed replacement the vehicle would require shipping it to Tasmania mainland to get it properly repaired. $$$$

Mate I have a 2013 d40 Spain with the 2.5. All the experts I know warned me about the timing chain when I bought it new. I now have 209k on it and it still runs like new. It is quite easy to check whether a timing chain is warn by listening to the engine on a cold start you will hear a rattle or grinding noise.

Mate I have a 2013 d40 Spain with the 2.5. All the experts I know warned me about the timing chain when I bought it new. I now have 209k on it and it still runs like new. It is quite easy to check whether a timing chain is warn by listening to the engine on a cold start you will hear a rattle or grinding noise.
Thanks for the input. Greatly appreciated.

my 06 stx auto has 330kon it. i do a service myself every 10k, it's had 1 auto service in it's life, so far, so good. engine still running sweet!

All STX's and the later facelifted ST's(140kw) are Spanish! (i believe)
I still can't figure mine out, I have a 2013 VSK ST - is it the 140kw or 120kw? either way it feels like it's 80hp at best.

I still can't figure mine out, I have a 2013 VSK ST - is it the 140kw or 120kw? either way it feels like it's 80hp at best.
Throw up a photo of your engine bay.
Im strongly going to suggest its the 140kw

Throw up a photo of your engine bay.
Im strongly going to suggest its the 140kw
I'll edit this post and add a pic during the day, although I'm on the other side and think it's the 120, as I've got the 4x2 ST not the 4x4 STX.

I'm now shopping for a clock-spring and seems to be about 200 to choose from depending what day of the week the car was made on.

Back