Advice re 2013 D22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfing72

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 2013 D22 STR at a dealers yard for 25K with 12000km on it. Was going to grab a new one for 28K but thought I might save a few dollars with the second hand one.

Anyway I have done some research on the net and have read a lot of bad stuff re the D22 - gutless, clutches, heads and warranty issues.

Can any of you offer any adivice on things I should be looking for with this vehicle. I have a general mechanical ability however have bugger all knowledge of 4x4.

It seems strange that there are a few D22's getting around for sale with less then 20000km on them????

Why would people off load them so soon?

Cheers,

Dan

My advice would be spend a tad more if you can and go new. I got mine for 27k, whilst the books are stamped for services you don't know how the previous owner treated it they may of flogged it in salt water, rode the clutch ect. And don't believe all the negative comments after all it's the net. All the best in whatever your choice.

Last edited:
Cheers for that John. I see in your avatar you are towing a camper trailer. This is the same reason I am looking at the D22. Thinking about a jayco eagle / hawk etc. Other than that I only have a 4 meter tinny that I tow. How do you rate the D22 as a tow vehicle?

Hey mate,
That coromal van is about 1.7t when fully loaded and 200ltrs of water. I pulled it from Brisbane to Rockhampton with 20k on the clock no probs. But since then I have almost doubled my horsepower and don't ever have an issue.

But when new starting on a hill with the van would require slipping the clutch and keeping on boost to get going. As I said now no problem but if I toured more and did no hard off road a 450 d40 would be of choice.

Whatever you do ditch the stock suspension and upgrade asap AFTER you have added all the heavy stuff like barwork ect.

I'd be haggling harder with the 2nd hand dealer

Ive seen plenty of "virtually new" 2nd hand cars with bugger all kms that have had a horrid first year of treatment.

They are a nugget stock. I will vouch for that. But they have a lot of potential with a bit of work. I tow a Jayco Dove with mine and have done 6000k trips with it in tow. You know it's on there that for sure. My opinion would be to go new. Do your research and get the EGR blocked and fit a catch can asap, fit an exhaust, update the suspension etc. they make a good tourer they just need a little work and if you were to put the extra 10k that a D40 costs into it you get yourself a nicely set up truck. Good luck with your purchase what ever you decide.
Cheers, Brad.

They are a nugget stock. I will vouch for that. But they have a lot of potential with a bit of work. I tow a Jayco Dove with mine and have done 6000k trips with it in tow. You know it's on there that for sure. My opinion would be to go new. Do your research and get the EGR blocked and fit a catch can asap, fit an exhaust, update the suspension etc. they make a good tourer they just need a little work and if you were to put the extra 10k that a D40 costs into it you get yourself a nicely set up truck. Good luck with your purchase what ever you decide.
Cheers, Brad.

Exactly
Couldn't have said it better myself

I`d wait till next year and grab a bargain, rumour has it that this year is the last year of the D40/22`s before the D23`s comeout, then id go buy a bargained D22.

Yeah thanks for all your replies fellas. I think I might give the second hand one a miss then.
At 25K it still has no bull bar, tow bar or cruise control. All these extas I will definitely requires. These basic extras could easily raise the price from 25K to 28K for a second hand vehicle?????
The only thing I was thinking from your comments re spending another 10K on mods is why wouldn't you just go for the D40 straight up. Basically I will just be towing 1.5 tonne and staying on the road or sand / beach and as I understand it the D40 is a better CAR as apposed to truck if you get my drift.

"D40 is a better CAR as apposed to truck if you get my drift"

Couldnt have said it better myself, though you may get heckled for say such things. lol
If you dont go 4x4ing much then its probably a better option, they say the D40 is also better over long distances as the D22 seats leave a little to be desired. More so if you have kids or anyone wanting to sit in the back.

if most of your work is blacktop towing with the occasional light off road then I would suggest a d40 is more suited
BUT a new 22 with 10k in bits makes a very capable offroader
goodluck

^ yeah that's my thoughts also. If you don't need the extra space in the back then a D22 with 10k of extras will be a great unit. If you go D40 you will still have to spend up if you want bars etc. D40's still require the EGR mod and catch can anyway. I also like being able unlock the front hubs on the D22, and you get two gear sticks to play with. :)

Can anyone elaborate on the catch can and EGR mods including benefit and cost??? or should I just stop being a lazy tool and do a search??
Cheers,

Dan

Talk to OldTony, he has a 40 and tours while towing quite a bit, he also does a small amount of 4x4ing, but only when he gets lost and has to be rescued by team D22.

Last edited:
Talk to OldTony, he has a 40 and tours while towing quite a bit, he also does a small amount of 4x4ing, but only when he gets lost and has to be rescued by team D22.

He wasnt lost
He was just a little bit geographically challenged

Can anyone elaborate on the catch can and EGR mods including benefit and cost??? or should I just stop being a lazy tool and do a search?? Cheers, Dan

In a nutshell. The EGR (Exhaust Gas Return) is a system that returns exhaust gases back to the inlet of the engine for a reburn as part of an attempt as a pollution inhibitor. All it really dose is destroy your engine. Imagine what's coming out your exhaust going in your engine instated of fresh air. The EGR mod is a plate which can be done a few ways inserted in the path of the tube that returns the gases to the inlet manifold blocking the gases from entering your engine. The D22 is easy to do and in my opinion the best way is by purchasing a gas jet elimination plate from Paul at YD25.com.au

See below (Gas Jet Elimination Plate)

image-2034351057.jpg

image-10158889.jpg

image-1588063046.jpg

This is what it replaces and where it goes in the inlet behind the valve

image-1307562207.jpg

image-3992147256.jpg

image-1688950723.jpg

And this is what it prevents. (This is a photo I found on the net and is why it is important to get it done as early as possible)

image-3291739824.jpg

Hope that sheds some light on the EGR mod for you anyway and take note that the D40 may require extra things to be done due to sensors in the engine management.

I will do one on the catch can later on today for you unless someone else dose it first.

Cheers Brad.

Thanks for that Brad.
So it appears to be a simple bolt off and bolt on job hey? Is it primarily a mod that prevents the damage illustrated in the pic you posted or does it alter performance? Is a different tune required?
Cheers,
Dan

Latest posts

Back