Affect of new shockies on torsion bar adjustment

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
I replaced the front shocks about 6 weeks ago and put on a set or RAW Nitro's.
It seemed to lift the front a bit and the ride is a lot more rigid which I don't have a problem with.
But I've noticed the old girl now seems to float a bit in the steering. Would the torsion bars need adjusting ?
It is also pulling slightly to the left.
Cheers

It's good practice to do an alignment after any suspension changes. I had the RAW nitros in mine and they were awesome. If you are happy with the hight then you won't need to adjust the torsion bars.
But yeah, if it's pulling to the left probs just get an alignment and she'll be apples.

The old girl is booked in tomorrow morning for a front end inspection with a suspension mob.
They reckon it's sitting a bit low in the front. Case of wait and see now.
Will let ya's know what happens.
Cheers

shocks can effect ride height due to the gas pressure in them.
i had one vehicle where you almost needed spring compressors for the shocks to be able to fit them.

The old shocks were completely stuffed, no compression at all.
When I took them out, you could push the rod down and it stay there.
There are no front coil springs, just the shocks and the torsion bars.
so until the suspension mob get there hands on the front end tomorrow, I won't know what the go is.
I still need to find out why she seems to be floating in the front. steering buggered ? I have no idea.

I was doing a job on the old gal today and the bump stops looked a bit flat.
Maybe time to replace them also.
Thinkin also replace the rear shocks. Hate to think what they are like haha

Here's the latest.
the RAW Nitro shocks that got put on a bout 4 to 5 weeks ago are stuffed already. The bottom shock bushes (metal tube) have worn already and there was play on the bolt.
That just cost me a new set of front shocks, bugger RAW.
2 ball joints are worn and need replacing then a wheel alignment.
just driving with the new shocks I could feel a big difference.
As for the back end, rear shocks and bushes stuffed, spring hanger bushes stuffed and that lot will be replaced next week.
anyone would think I love spending money LOL

its a shame your new shocks are stuffed, personally i changed the shocks like 2-3 years after i got the truck with some Monroes front and back and around 2011 i got Bilsteins in...... best upgrades in the truck so far. when i did the bilsteins i also had to crank up the torsion bars since the front was beginning to sag and sit lower than it was from new. tighten the torsion bars and wheel aligment made everything perfect again.
i am sorry but the shocks on the d22 have nothing t do with ride height, even is they have high compression as stated, they cant possibly overcome the tension of the torsion bars.
ball joints and bump stops are just service items, they lasted pretty damn long if they are original.
gl oldie!

thats very unusual for shockies to stuff up in that short time even cheapie shocks last longer than that. were the rear shockie bottom bush sleeves the right internal diameter to suit the pin bolt ? i have seen shocks fitted with incorrect bush sleeves and yes play play play, then the main suspension pin bolt is stuffed.

It was bottom bushes in the new front shocks that were stuffed.
the rear shocks haven't been replaced yet and they have rubber bushes that are perished to buggery. won't know until they come off if there is any compression left in them.

Forgot to say, when I put the RAW shocks on the front, the bolts were a snug fit and I had to tap them in, not hammered in.
when they came off, you could see some metal fatigue with the metal tube inside the urethane bush. one was worse than the other.
wish I had a camera that could zoom down enuff to show the wear inside the bush.

Here's the latest.
the RAW Nitro shocks that got put on a bout 4 to 5 weeks ago are stuffed already. The bottom shock bushes (metal tube) have worn already and there was play on the bolt.
That just cost me a new set of front shocks, bugger RAW.
2 ball joints are worn and need replacing then a wheel alignment.
just driving with the new shocks I could feel a big difference.
As for the back end, rear shocks and bushes stuffed, spring hanger bushes stuffed and that lot will be replaced next week.
anyone would think I love spending money LOL
Definitely something not right there with the new front shocks. Is it just the bushes that failed or the whole shock as well. When I installed my RAW gear I remember all bolts being a perfect fit, snug but able to be pushed in by hand quite easily. RAW have a pretty good warranty on them, like 2 or 3 years or 150,000k's, so you could have got them replaced under warranty being only 5 weeks old?

It was just the metal tube part of the bushes that failed.
I won't be chasing a refund or replacement with warranty, I don't need the hassles of doing it.
It might sound like big dollars but they only cost me $230 for the pair, I'll write it off to experience with a particular brand I won't be using again.

what brand is that? i`ve got monroes that i`m pretty happy with. but shoulda got the bilsteins.......

Latest posts

Back