Aftermarket head units d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced my stock standard radio system in my D22 about 2 years ago with a DigiOptions Multimedia system - Bluthooth, USB, iPod, MP3, DVD, Navigation (iGO/Oz Explorer), Rear reversing camera . . . Apart from two minor issues, one being the reversing camera does not always come on automatically (but can select it manually so I really care) and the original supplied GPS Antenna packing it in within 12 months, I love the unit, works well

Thanks for the contribution fellas. Good to hear that the stock head unit will power New Alpines fine !! :)

Also good to hear the aftermarket system worked well with few issues.

Anyone seen that product I linked ? Any opinions on that one?

Cheers

Thanks for the contribution fellas. Good to hear that the stock head unit will power New Alpines fine !! :)

Also good to hear the aftermarket system worked well with few issues.

Anyone seen that product I linked ? Any opinions on that one?

Cheers

The stock head unit is a piece of shit it will not power your aftermarket speakers fine at all nor will any other aftermarket head unit for that matter.

They quote peak power wattage rather then rms so you are actually getting 5-10 watt rms per channel rather than 50 watts.

If you want power that is clean and wont cause your speakers to clip get an amplifier.

Don't bother getting expensive aftermarket brands such as alpine type r etc unless your going to use an amplifier. If your not going to use an amplifier buy cheap replacements.

The stock head unit is a piece of shit it will not power your aftermarket speakers fine at all nor will any other aftermarket head unit for that matter. They quote peak power wattage rather then rms so you are actually getting 5-10 watt rms per channel rather than 50 watts. If you want power that is clean and wont cause your speakers to clip get an amplifier. Don't bother getting expensive aftermarket brands such as alpine type r etc unless your going to use an amplifier. If your not going to use an amplifier buy cheap replacements.

Go you think that product I linked has enough amplification to power the alpines. It says 45watt x 4 amplified ??
Don't have much idea on this do your input is appreciated.

It depends what you want. To begin with the 45 watt x 4 will be peak power rating it is more likely 5-10 watt x 4 in rms. If your not after high quality sound throughout your volume range it will be fine.

It's all marketing no head unit will provide any decent amplification. When looking at sound equipment always go by rms. If it doesn't say rms presume it's peak power which can be anywhere from 3-4 times the true rms wattage.

I can't stand the distortion and clipping you get without running an amp.

But that's me unless your very concerned about your sound quality ignore my opinion, it's just an opinion.

If your not planning on listening to loud music or not concerned about high quality sound the head unit and set of speakers you mentioned will more than suffice. Hardest part will be installing the head unit try and get an adaptor if possible.

Just had a look the optional extra is the adaptor make sure you get it makes installing it very easy.

Last edited:
I replaced my stock standard radio system in my D22 about 2 years ago with a DigiOptions Multimedia system - Bluthooth, USB, iPod, MP3, DVD, Navigation (iGO/Oz Explorer), Rear reversing camera . . . Apart from two minor issues, one being the reversing camera does not always come on automatically (but can select it manually so I really care) and the original supplied GPS Antenna packing it in within 12 months, I love the unit, works well
Do you have a link for that head unit at all?
The stock head unit is a piece of shit it will not power your aftermarket speakers fine at all nor will any other aftermarket head unit for that matter.

They quote peak power wattage rather then rms so you are actually getting 5-10 watt rms per channel rather than 50 watts.

If you want power that is clean and wont cause your speakers to clip get an amplifier.

Don't bother getting expensive aftermarket brands such as alpine type r etc unless your going to use an amplifier. If your not going to use an amplifier buy cheap replacements.
I was told the same thing ^^
I bought a pair of Hertz 2 way splits and was told to get the most out of good speakers you are best off to throw an amp into the mix. Lucky I have one sitting here ready to wire up with my speakers when I find a good head unit.

It depends what you want. To begin with the 45 watt x 4 will be peak power rating it is more likely 5-10 watt x 4 in rms. If your not after high quality sound throughout your volume range it will be fine. It's all marketing no head unit will provide any decent amplification. When looking at sound equipment always go by rms. If it doesn't say rms presume it's peak power which can be anywhere from 3-4 times the true rms wattage. I can't stand the distortion and clipping you get without running an amp. But that's me unless your very concerned about your sound quality ignore my opinion, it's just an opinion. If your not planning on listening to loud music or not concerned about high quality sound the head unit and set of speakers you mentioned will more than suffice. Hardest part will be installing the head unit try and get an adaptor if possible. Just had a look the optional extra is the adaptor make sure you get it makes installing it very easy.

Great information here. Just what I as seeking. I'm much more clearer as too my options regarding my sound needs - I like loud high quality sound! In the car is where I listen to most of my music
Cheers.

Just to be clear here. I am not expecting anything remotely close to the sound quality and output I had Im my previous vehicle. That had 8 speakers, amp, and a 12inch sub woofer!

Now all I'm putting in the D22 is 2 new speakers ( In front ) and may be a head unit and maybe an amplifier according to the information I've been offered here.

I just like a little better than decent sound and need a set up that will accommodate a simple 2 speaker system. I bought the d22 for Much more than stereo sound Systems ( it's of the things I was willing to sacrifice :) )

I can't speak for the decks but don't expect the earth to move. Make sure that whatever you buy has at least two lots of rca pre outs to allow for amps later. If you had a big system before this new one could be a let down.

As for speakers my 6.5 pioneers needed a small adaptor ring ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417391540.030300.jpg
It was only 4 mm ply just to get the room to screw the driver on. I used a foam front and rear of the plate so as to avoid back waves.
A seven inch speaker is a whole other storyImageUploadedByTapatalk1417391660.562129.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417391720.063553.jpg lots of fab work but worth it.

I can't speak for the decks but don't expect the earth to move. Make sure that whatever you buy has at least two lots of rca pre outs to allow for amps later. If you had a big system before this new one could be a let down. As for speakers my 6.5 pioneers needed a small adaptor ring It was only 4 mm ply just to get the room to screw the driver on. I used a foam front and rear of the plate so as to avoid back waves. A seven inch speaker is a whole other story lots of fab work but worth it.

The fab work for that 7inch speakers is nice work!
I'm not looking for earth shattering sound like I did have - just something that is clear with decent volume and depth in bass, treble and middle etc.
I might just get the smaller speakers Alpine have.

It depends what you want. To begin with the 45 watt x 4 will be peak power rating it is more likely 5-10 watt x 4 in rms. If your not after high quality sound throughout your volume range it will be fine. It's all marketing no head unit will provide any decent amplification. When looking at sound equipment always go by rms. If it doesn't say rms presume it's peak power which can be anywhere from 3-4 times the true rms wattage. I can't stand the distortion and clipping you get without running an amp. But that's me unless your very concerned about your sound quality ignore my opinion, it's just an opinion. If your not planning on listening to loud music or not concerned about high quality sound the head unit and set of speakers you mentioned will more than suffice. Hardest part will be installing the head unit try and get an adaptor if possible. Just had a look the optional extra is the adaptor make sure you get it makes installing it very easy.

Thanks for the tip on the optional adaptor. Forget to mention that last post.
I've had some pretty shotty installations - workers not really giving a shit about scratching the car and basically just ripping the door trimming off without consideration -- really shits me. Last install they cracked my dash and didn't even tell me. Had to go back and confront them about it.

So this is also a concern for me altering or changing the head unit.

Latest posts

Back