Air compressors-Workshop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peteyen86

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Looking at buying a air compressor soon for the shed. Will be used for taking wheels off, cleaning, pumping tyres, nail gun, general sort of stuff, no spraying.

Never owned one before so looking for a bit of advice.

Total Tools have a deal on at the moment. Their's is an Iron air 2.2HP, 50Lt, 10BAr and 174 Lt's Per Minute. They are asking $449? What do yous think?

Im looking at buying a bit better quality then supercheap style. I like my tools to last a long time and dont like wasteing money on cheap stuff that will let me down. However not looking to spend a fortune.

What should i be looking at for around the $300 to say $500 max. Will also add id prefer belt driven.

Cheers Pete

Last edited:
all my air tools and compressor are from super cheap auto and ive never had a problem

We've got a cheap shit GMC 3hp (can't remember the other specs) which we paid bugger all for when we picked it up second hand and that does everything we need around the workshop on the farm. Gets treated like crap, never looked after, never serviced but always goes whenever we plug it in and try to pump up a tyre.

It's no good for ramming fence posts in though :big_smile:

We've got a cheap shit GMC 3hp (can't remember the other specs) which we paid bugger all for when we picked it up second hand and that does everything we need around the workshop on the farm. Gets treated like crap, never looked after, never serviced but always goes whenever we plug it in and try to pump up a tyre.

It's no good for ramming fence posts in though :big_smile:

Haha. Thats the good thing about cheap. Dont have to worry about looking after them much as its just easier to buy another one if they break.

Im keeping an eye out for second hand ones also.

Dads going to find out if my uncle who has shit everywhere has one as well. Ive told him i want a lathe and drill press to. One good thing about having an old hoarder in the family. He has sheds you cant even get into so i might get lucky.haha

i wouldnt spend any more then $300 on a compressor. ive got 2 cheap ones and never had a problem. the one in my work van cops a flogging aswe;

Dont know about the quality, but supercheap had a compressor and a few air tools for under 300 on sale at the moment

We brought an 11 hp (big mutha with a diesel motor) for post ramming which we look after but the GMC just goes and goes and goes. We also put a 30 meter hose on the GMC which is a bit of a bugger because of the way it tangles or catches on every damn thing but it means we can drag just the hose out of the shed and leave the compressor in the shed.

I love cheap as shit tools like GMC, especially when I read catalogs like we got yesterday which are chock full of massively over priced Matabo gear that does the same job.

Dont know about the quality, but supercheap had a compressor and a few air tools for under 300 on sale at the moment

Its on their website 229 bucks with air tool kit and 20m hose. Good deal but fuk thats cheap. Makes me wonder why.lol. A guy at work just bought that pack i think. Ill ask him about it tomorrow.

The tools are shit house and the air pressure is almost useless on some tight nuts. But still does the job mostly!!

Unless yr workshop has 15A power, id suggest getting the highest spec, most powerful, and cheapest compressor you can get for 10A power.

Unless yr workshop has 15A power, id suggest getting the highest spec, most powerful, and cheapest compressor you can get for 10A power.

Hey mate. It will have 15amp. Its a new shed, waiting for the dam sparkys to come give me a quote for wiriing it up. But i will differently be putting in a couple of 15 amp points.

Have you got any suggestions for the most powerfull but cheapest compressor.lol. not many to choose from.

Alot of the really cheap ones im not sure if i even believe their specs they state they have!

I dont know much about it, but looked into it when i got mine, it was the biggest and cheapest 10a job i could find, about $500, it keeps up fine painting cars, but stuff from china seems to be heaps cheaper and half decent quality these days so you'd probly be able to do a bit better than that.

I dont know much about it, but looked into it when i got mine, it was the biggest and cheapest 10a job i could find, about $500, it keeps up fine painting cars, but stuff from china seems to be heaps cheaper and half decent quality these days so you'd probly be able to do a bit better than that.

Noworries, thanks for the advice. Ill go into a few places and let them try to sell their one and see what i learn.

lol, thats what i did, let them clue me up a bit, then, when i vaguely knew what i was after, found a better price elsewhere!

I used to have one of Bunnings GMC $99 compressors that I had and abused for about 3 years. Worked great for DIY stuff. Ended up selling it for about $60 on ebay last year and it was still going strong.

If its just for a bit of use around the home one of the cheapies will do just fine. I'm a chippy and one of my mates had one he ran quite often it lasted him a few years. In saying that though I spent about $700 on a puma Compressor for my trailer and it gets run 5 or 6 days a week with 3 or 4 guns running off it and she never gives up.

The renegade trade tools direct drive compressors are a good in between unit

-Tyler

Latest posts

Back