Air Intake Mods

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D22TURBO

Reaction score
Hi all, only just joined and am new to owning Navaras. Excellent cars by the way...

I would like to know, is there anyone on here who has removed the airbox (on vehicles without snorkels of course) and also the stock rubber intake hose from turbo up to airbox, and added a completely custom aluminium or plastic intake, maybe with a pod filter or something hi-flow like that?

My mate has trial ran this with stock pipe, leaving airbox in place and clamping a pod air filter into the end. It seemed to give it substantially more pickup, torque and early boost, considering the pod filter was $20. Cheap mod.

Just asking for pics and info on a larger professionally designed intake.

Thanks muchly.

step 1. Scroll to the top of the page.
step 2. Locate the search bar and type "80 series airbox" and press 'enter'
step 3. Read.
step 4. Go to search bar again and type "EGR blank" and press 'enter'
step 5. Read some more.

those two are the biggest air intake mods you can do. and a snorkel helps even more, and an exhaust system as well. use the search bar and use it well before asking questions. alot of the questions people have, have already been asked, and thus, answers have already been given.

oh yeah, and welcome to the forums, alot of tomfoolery and fun is had around these parts. :D

Last edited:
Yes that is all good and well but I am not interested so much in an airbox style intake. I will get to the EGR blanking but I would like to know more about designing my own full flow intake with a Pod Filter or Cone Filter at the end. Thanks anyway. I'll work on a custom job and let people know via pics etc.

Yes that is all good and well but I am not interested so much in an airbox style intake. I will get to the EGR blanking but I would like to know more about designing my own full flow intake with a Pod Filter or Cone Filter at the end. Thanks anyway. I'll work on a custom job and let people know via pics etc.

what do you hope to achieve from your navara? if you're going down the fully custom intake mod, one thing to keep in mind is the make sure you draw your air from OUTSIDE the engine bay, the engine bay is excessively hot, and drawing hot air in, then compressing it (makes it hotter), is gonna kill your performance and efficiency. not to mention if you're driving through puddles/mud, etc. you WILL get water/mud/crap in your engine bay, make no mistake about that.

I'd seriously be looking at an intercooler and snorkel as minimum intake mods. the intercooler for obvious reasons will cool the compressed air from your turbo before it hits the intake manifold, which while it may not give a massive performance increase overall, it should help to keep your performance consistent regardless of the outside air temperature. The snorkel, will FORCE the cooler air from above the road and outside the engine bay into your intake, again, it may not be a massive increase in performance, but forcing cool air into the intake can't hurt.

and i suppose that it goes without saying that the less kinks, bends, turns and interruptions that your intake system has, the smoother and easier your airflow will undoubtedly be.

Last edited:
Josh , I think you'll find the std set already draws air from outside the engine bay and not influenced by underbonnet temps

gazza414 said:
Josh , I think you'll find the std set already draws air from outside the engine bay and not influenced by underbonnet temps

Yeah, I'm advising the OP with regards to custom fabbing his own airbox and intake system. There's definitely a heap of considerations that need to be taken.

If I was going to make mods to my air intake system, I'd do the following:

1) Replace MOST of the flexible hosing with metal tubes of the same size and insulate them.

2) Replace all the cheap hose clamps with ones that don't introduce a kink or pinch when you tighten them up

3) Replace the air box with something that holds a finer grade of filter but at 3 or 4 times the effective surface area, to ensure that flow rates are maintained (or even improved) while keeping even more muck out

4) Ensure that the actual intake was fed through a fully sealed snorkel where the smallest diameter of the piping was always larger than the piping between the air box and the turbocharger.

I wouldn't mind improving the performance of my intercooler. The simplest way is to add a water pump and a garden mist sprayer, to wet down the surface - the evaporation chills the metal, and with the greater temperature differential comes greater internal cooling. Larger intercoolers might help and so would removing the PCV from the intake so the intercooler didn't get all gunked up inside.

The total performance gain isn't a lot - it IS a lot of money for very little gain.

Tony, a snorkel and 80 series airbox mod takes care of those 4 points, straight up. And (inyour case tony) I'd be looking at a water-air intercooler that does NOT sit right onto of the engine block - you must have some huge heat-soak.

If the op is after a free-flowin intake. You can't really get much better than those two mods.

I don't have much trouble with the intercooler actually, my D40's cooler is up front where they should be.

All the improvements I mentioned were actually specifically what I'd do to my D40 - they won't give me great gains though, so for the $ I'd have to invest, I can't see the value.

Ok thanks guys for the input, though Joshman, I am not even considering inducing air from in the engine bay. That is where I want to create a unique intake made of metal as Old.Tony mentioned and yes, add an intercooler. Basically I want to create something for the car.

If I was going to make mods to my air intake system, I'd do the following:

1) Replace MOST of the flexible hosing with metal tubes of the same size and insulate them.

2) Replace all the cheap hose clamps with ones that don't introduce a kink or pinch when you tighten them up

3) Replace the air box with something that holds a finer grade of filter but at 3 or 4 times the effective surface area, to ensure that flow rates are maintained (or even improved) while keeping even more muck out

4) Ensure that the actual intake was fed through a fully sealed snorkel where the smallest diameter of the piping was always larger than the piping between the air box and the turbocharger.

I wouldn't mind improving the performance of my intercooler. The simplest way is to add a water pump and a garden mist sprayer, to wet down the surface - the evaporation chills the metal, and with the greater temperature differential comes greater internal cooling. Larger intercoolers might help and so would removing the PCV from the intake so the intercooler didn't get all gunked up inside.

The total performance gain isn't a lot - it IS a lot of money for very little gain.

Good post Tony--good advice

Latest posts

Back