Aldi 600 watt inverter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really depends on the power supply used in the charger. Some are simple step-down-then-rectify and others are switchmode power supplies. Almost all laptops, PCs and smart chargers have these switchmode power supplies in them.

Switchmode power supplies can handle a wide variety of input power, because of its immediate rectification of the input. This DC power is fed to a step-down transformer, which essentially gets a square wave that's been flattened and flipped into pure DC.

Other power supplies use the AC input to step down first, then rectify the output and either limit it (eg using zeners) or resist it and rely on the input range being within certain limits. These can cause problems with modified sine wave inverters because the transformers aren't going to oscillate smoothly, causing the output to fluctuate. That isn't going to help a battery charger that's trying to rely on a steady voltage! There's also a risk when using these supplies with small portable generators - in particular the cheap ones you can buy for <$100. I've got one that fluctuates its output from 170VAC to 330VAC until you put a 100W load on its output!

is there an easy way to tell for sure which charger is which so i can figure out which one i can and cant use?

Switchmode supplies are generally used in multistage chargers. Simple chargers - and small chargers - use the simpler method. Other than that, you open it up, watch where the 240V wires go, and if the first thing they hit is 4 big diodes and 4 large electrolytic capacitors, it's most likely a switchmode supply.

Normally the sticker on the outside of the power supply will say what type it is. Failing that, Google the model of the power supply and see if you can find a spec sheet on it, that is unless you want to try and open it up...

Old thread, but I bought one of these last year, still soundly in it's box brand new and doubt I will ever use it.

If you are in the Brisbane to Ipswich area, and after one, please let me know.

we recently bought an aldi lawnmower (gladiator)
B&S 4 stroke motor
self propelled, and works great
they were selling for $399
I love it, best mower I have owned

Latest posts

Back