All Gassed Up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chartrock

Reaction score
Well, it's done. I now have D-Gas fitted to the Nav and a 2.75" exhaust system installed. I am 5 grand lighter (hopefully Kevin 07 will respond with a couple) but the results seem to be worth it. It feels like a different car and appears to want to get up and go. One hill in particular I tried it on, it used to just make it comfortably in 4th is now climbed in 5th and still accelerating. Of course I cannot give economy figures for a while but I will be watching them closely and will post them as soon as anything meaningful shows up.
At the moment I am as happy as

Attachments

• PiM.jpg
    PiM.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 16,654
G'day mate,

Glad everything is ok, did they put a compliance plate on for the gas, as everyone i have spoken to, even in NSW won't do the gas because of the AAFRB not issueing/roadworthing vehicles after Jan '04. They also say that anyone caught is in big doo doo's.

Going by different installers here in Victoria, no one will have a bar of me because of that reason and i only just found out that it is Australia wide also. From what i am told all vechicles are classed as unroadworth and uninsured for having the gas on.

Hopefully you somehow got the compliance plate put on.

cheers,

Lance

G'day mate,

Hopefully you somehow got the compliance plate put on.

cheers,

Lance

Yes, Lance. They did fit a compliance plate and I have included a photo of it. They also provided a form which I took to Qld Road Transport and they endorsed my registration with the addition of gas to diesel and then I rang my insurance company (RACQ) and asked them to add the changes to my policy for the gas and the exhaust. They did, and charged me another $14 increase on the policy. It appears to be no problem here in Qld but I don't know what happens if I drive the Nav south. That will happen in the not too distant future. :victory:

Attachments

• Compliance Plate.jpg
    Compliance Plate.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Tank prior to Exhaust.jpg
    Tank prior to Exhaust.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 134
  • Tank & Exhaust.jpg
    Tank & Exhaust.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 125
  • Control Box.jpg
    Control Box.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Jets and Heater connect.jpg
    Jets and Heater connect.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 121
Looks good mate.

I like how the tank sits.

Ive been told the power difference is impressive.

I assume if you run out of gas it just runs normal like any other?

I would like to get it done but just seem to have so many things that require my money before I get to it :girl_cray3:

Will be very interested how it affects fuel economy if at all.

Yeah I'm with Laith. Would like to know power increase and fuel economy of this set up and if you think its worth it.

Are you running a valve saver set up as well? Did they recommend this to you?

Thanks

I don't think a the valve saver setup is really necessary as there is still diesel being injected along with the gas, the amount of gas being added is only around 20% vs. 80% of diesel.

Damn. I had my cursor just above the submit button when my wife turned on the pump from our tank and tripped the safety switch. Scratch one pump. Start again.

Yes Laith, if it runs out of gas it just continues to run as per a normal D22. The addition of gas makes no modifications to the diesel system. I too am looking forward to some fuel usage figures but as it takes me about 3 weeks to use a tank of diesel there wont be any meaningful figures for a while. I did not get a dyno test done so I can't quote performance figures but it goes like a cut snake. A lot less gear changing and just the feeling of the urge to go. I have noticed that during gear changes or any timne the clutch is used the engine revs take a while to drop. I am not sure if this is a problem but the gas guy thinks the gas jet may be a bit large so after a tankful or two he will check it.
With regard to the valve saver, I am afraid you are talking to the uneducated here. I have no idea what it is but from what Shonky says it appears to be something used on a pure gas engine. Is that correct?:idea:
You're right, Shonky. The ratio is supposed to be about 20% gas to 80% diesel although some systems can range from around 15% to 35%
D22 King, I do not know where the photo was taken, I just received it in an email and being the sarky sod I am it amused me.:evil:

Here are some fuel useage figures I have been getting:
17l diesel 4l gas for 208 kms driving round town
37l diesel 13l gas for 460kms country driving
It varies all the time.

Chartrock, if your ute is running on there is two ways to rectify it: 1. Go to a smaller jet size or 2. Wind the allen bolt in(clockwise) on the top of the black pressure switch.(half a turn at a time). This will shut the gas off sooner when you take your foot off the pedal. The only downside to this is it also will take the gas longer to come on when building up revs.

I am have been experimenting with jet sizes and have found the 40 thou to be the best size for this motor. My ute doesn't run on, however if I put the 45 or 50 in, it runs on after taking my foot of the accelerator. I have also experimented with the pressure switch as I have never been happy with the down low lag of this motor. Originally my gas was coming in around the 1750rpm mark. By turning the allen bolt on top of the pressure switch out(anti clockwise) approx 2 and a half turns, the gas now comes in at 1200rpm and overcomes the lag. This makes it far more driveable.

Before doing this mod it felt like a 2 stroke motor where the gas and turbo all came on at once. Originally I was going to chip it to improve the low down before the gas comes on but now I am happy with it's driveability.

Also note that gas usage percentage is worked out of the total fuel used eg. 15l diesel, 5l gas is 5 divided by 20(total fuel used) X100 = 25% gas usage

Thanks for all that, big orse. I think at the moment there is a 50 jet in it as a starting point, which we will change as necessary after running for a while.
Your usage figures seem to show what I am roughly expecting. The total fuel usage is around my diesel usage before gas so I will wait and see.
I will check on the pressure switch. I have not had a close look at it as yet but I am always willing to learn.
Thanks again, mate
Paul

Thanks for all that, big orse. I think at the moment there is a 50 jet in it as a starting point, which we will change as necessary after running for a while.
Your usage figures seem to show what I am roughly expecting. The total fuel usage is around my diesel usage before gas so I will wait and see.
I will check on the pressure switch. I have not had a close look at it as yet but I am always willing to learn.
Thanks again, mate
Paul

No probs. I think it will be good to compare notes. When I had the 50 thou jet in I was using 30% + gas sometimes as high as 35%. The power was awesome but I was a little scared of throwing in that much gas combined with the run on. I knew my motor was not behaving as it should.

I don't think you will see a great improvement in fuel consumption unless you drive it as you were before. My problem is I drive it like a V6 petrol and enjoy the added power of the gas too much. The biggest benefit of the gas is the gain in power and torque. I find towing my camper trailer is a breeze and my economy at 100kms/h with the camper is awesome. 800kms trip with camper, I used 68l diesel and 14l of gas. Camper fully loaded is 650kgs plus 4 people and full ute load of gear. All the guys in landcruisers that came with us were using 115 - 140l for the same 800kms.

PS: The pressure switch has a rubber grommet on top. Under that you will find the allen bolt.

hahah thats the Port Hedland fuzz lol. the marks still in the salt washout lol, and i seen the courier gettin around too lol

Thanks again for all that, big orse. I will certainly keep an eye on it all and try not to use too much of the power over the next few weeks. I'll be glad to compare notes on economy when the time comes.

hahah thats the Port Hedland fuzz lol. the marks still in the salt washout lol, and i seen the courier gettin around too lol

Glad you have the same sense of humour as me, King. I'll take your word for the site of the 'incident'. :bike:

Paul

I'd definitely keep a close eye on the gas usage for a little while Paul, at least until you confirm how much it is actually using, if it is running 30+% gas you will not want to be putting the boot into it, you'll melt a piston real quick if it's got too much gas going in.

I'd definitely keep a close eye on the gas usage for a little while Paul, at least until you confirm how much it is actually using, if it is running 30+% gas you will not want to be putting the boot into it, you'll melt a piston real quick if it's got too much gas going in.

Believe me, shonky I will be watching it for the next few weeks. I have no trips planned, no towing the van so it will be just local travel. I just need to get some k's up to use some fuel and gas so I can make some comperisons.
Cheers
Paul

Latest posts

Back