Almost stalling, loss of power, black smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flynndog

Reaction score
Hi All,

As the subject indicates, having a bit of drama with the old girl. On starting the ute, if I go to take off without a warm up, it effectively stalls and blows a considerable puff of black smoke as they do.
If I let it warm up, it will go but is really down on power/rpm and then gets up and going.
On a hill on a cold day or with a camper trailer on, forget it. Get the winch out.

Today I got the gear wrong turning a corner up a hill (2nd) and when I dropped back to first, the revs sit at about 900 RPM and even with foot flat it just struggles to get the RPM up. Just crawls up he hill and then slowly picks up.

No issues starting it or anything like that.

Any ideas? I am thinking dribbly injector or maybe a blocked injector? I have run a heap of cleaner through but no change.

Thanks

Turbo may be not working. Get the boost and maf sensor checked and maybe replaced. If they are fine, it's new turbo time.

The turbo is a second hand one, but the boost sensor was only replaced this year because I snapped the inlet tube off.

Will check it and let you know. Thanks

zd30 engine ?

check for air leaks in the fuel line. dirty fuel filter.
restriction to fuel flow or air being sucked in causes timing to retard.
if ok put a code reader on and check ICV%. possibility of worn timing piston which causes retarded injection timing.
had it with mine, low rpm worse effected.

EGR is blanked off. Even with no load on an uphill slope you need to ride the clutch to get it moving.

I originally changed air filter, didn't help.
Fuel filter changed, didn't help.

I will check the recommendations and let you all know

Thanks

Can you borrow an ecutalk of someone and check the ICV%. The fuel pump could be on it's last legs.

Nah probably not mate, any other way to check?

It's definitely worse when it's cold (think summer cold, hardly moves in winter), but even coming out of a inclined car park (normal street parking) from a stand still requires a ride of the clutch to get out. Not always, but definitely when its cold.

Latest posts

Back