Alternator down!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scubamurph

Reaction score
Looks like my alternator has shat itself after only 70000k.
Was out getting muddy and wet at teh weekends and everything
seemed fine. Yesterday when I was driving the car I was getting the
battery symbol up intermittently and I thought it was related to some
wet wires as my blower motor has stopped working (not gotten round to fault finding it yet).
Today when I start up there is a nice metallic grinding / wearing noise
coming from the front passenger side. Sounds like it was coming from the alternator.
Funny thing is that the noise died down when I rev the engine for a while before coming back again.

I have now ripped the alternator out but it seems smooth enough when I turn the pulley
and the clutch appears to be working ok.

Anyone got any ideas if it is the alternator (bearing maybe) or something else in the same location.
I have rotated the other pulleys and they are all smooth as well.

Got me a bit flummoxed. I really dont want to part with $650+ for a replacement
alternator if I am barking up the wrong tree.

:sad:

Regards Murph

I also had to replace the alternator recently, at 50000k.
I got it all the way from the UK, still came in at less than 350USD/340AUD including transatlantic shipping:
NISSAN NAVARA ALTERNATOR 23100-EB71A NEW | eBay

Their regular website:
.: Starter Motor & Alternator Company :.

Double check your part number before ordering, there are 130 and 150 amp versions IIRC

EDITED TO ADD: My dealer wanted 1100USD (yes!) for a new alternator, that's why I searched high and low for a better source.

Last edited:
i had similar problem but it only did my bearing.... when you turn mine off the alt disengages on the clucth bearing and grinds to a halt... 'loud noises' get weird looks when turning it off haha...

if you need to get a new one can i buy your alt front bearing off you... as you cant buy this as a replacment part from nissan... only one unit....

Sorry mate, I should have updated this earlier.

I refitted the alternator as I needed the car and it has only been noisy once since.
I couldnt find any second hand alts about. I can get a new for $500 + gst.
Have aslso found clutch pulleys from the uk but they are $260 a go incl delivery.

Still not made up my mind on what way to go.

Incidentally I sorted my blower motor out with a can of contact cleaner :D
It flushed some pretty dirty crap out and it is now working again.

Will take the win on that.

Regards Murph

i had similar problem but it only did my bearing.... when you turn mine off the alt disengages on the clucth bearing and grinds to a halt... 'loud noises' get weird looks when turning it off haha...

if you need to get a new one can i buy your alt front bearing off you... as you cant buy this as a replacment part from nissan... only one unit....

Measure the bearing and get in touch with these guys.

CBC Bearings, Oil Seals, Power Transmission, Lubricants, Laser Alignment & AzimaDLI at CBC

They should be able to track a replacement down.

Latest posts

Back