Another D40 timing chain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2007 Rx D40 yd 25 engine with only 122,000Km well looked after and good service history. Timing Chain snapped on the highway that is used many times by road trains. A) thank the lord there wasn't a road train behind me when this happened b) I rang nissan and they said if I get it to a nissan they could look at it, I live 800km from the nearest dealer and will cost $2000 to get it there with no guarantee from them if they will cover the work or not c) I am going to give nissan australia a chance to respond fairly to my situation, if not I will be walking away from Nissan a company that I once enjoyed being involved with. Please Check your chains.

2007 Rx D40 yd 25 engine with only 122,000Km well looked after and good service history. Timing Chain snapped on the highway that is used many times by road trains. A) thank the lord there wasn't a road train behind me when this happened b) I rang nissan and they said if I get it to a nissan they could look at it, I live 800km from the nearest dealer and will cost $2000 to get it there with no guarantee from them if they will cover the work or not c) I am going to give nissan australia a chance to respond fairly to my situation, if not I will be walking away from Nissan a company that I once enjoyed being involved with. Please Check your chains.

That's a bugger. Let us know how you get on.

My mechanic who's family recently sold the local Nissan dealership, said that Nissan claimed to have fixed the timing chain issue on the D40. I did ask when and he jokingly said "probably 2014", but did say he had not had any issues with 2010 and later builds.

Seeing as he has nothing to do with Nissan anymore, I see no reason for him to BS.

It would be interesting to hear whether anyone has had a failure with a 2010 and later vehicle. Surely there would be enough around now with high ks?

good luck with that wty claim, 2007 model with 120k they wont look after you, they just want more of your hard earned
save yourself a headache and don't even involve Nissan
give paul at yd25 a call
goodluck

It would be interesting to hear whether anyone has had a failure with a 2010 and later vehicle. Surely there would be enough around now with high ks?

a friend of mine has a 2008 with 220k, he has no mechanical sympathy, jumps in and drives it hard when its cold, regularly goes 20k between oil changes, Never idles it down and it runs great :wtf: :hmm:

Hi All
Have a 2011 Thai Built with 77000km. Just back from WA towing a Caravan and strange noise from motor. Booked into Nissan with one month of warranty left and a new timing chain and guides fitted.

Ken

Hi All
Have a 2011 Thai Built with 77000km. Just back from WA towing a Caravan and strange noise from motor. Booked into Nissan with one month of warranty left and a new timing chain and guides fitted.

Ken

bad news about the chain, glad you caught it in time
did Nissan resist or were they easy to deal with

When I rang to book it in and described noise they said "Are you sure you want us to fix it as it sounds like the timing chain?"

I asked if this was a known problem and yes it is.

I said it was still under warranty and they couldn't have been more helpful.

Even got a free loan car.

Recommend Rockdale Nissan

Glad you had a positive experience with Nissan Ken. There are dealers that are pleasant to deal with. Looks like your one of the few unlucky owners with this problem with the chain and guides.

so has anyone had timing belt issue on 140kw yd25?
heard same thing from few dealers and mechanics they said havent seen them requiring new timing belt yet. did say clutch and flywheel still had issue though which i recently did replaced under warranty. i dont see why they would bs about it as well.

I'd like to know what these chains and/or guides sound like when they're failing. Can anyone provide a good description on what they sound like??

You will get a rattle for the first 5 or 6 seconds at start up then it will go quiet as normal very easy to recognise. As for the 140 kw motor Nissan Service manager told me they were changed to duplex chains this is unconfirmed of course.

Had 6 months left on the extended warranty. Took the 40 into the local dealer. The service guy called a senior mechanic over and asked 'Can you hear anything?'

Mechanic listened for about 2-3 minutes. Said 'Yep, it's starting to rattle that's for sure'

I asked him, 'What would you do if it were yours?' He said 'I'd get it done'.

The 40's been in since Monday. Now we're waiting on back ordered parts to arrive and hopefully be finished by Tuesday next week.

All covered by Nissan, no questions asked, not a single problem .... so far.

These guys even asked if I wanted to put in a dual row kit instead of the OEM stuff.

Sound like a good workshop! Should ask them about a software update for the 4wd lo problem.i still havnt seen a dealer yet.

Yeah I did that before I wrote my letter to Nissan. They knoew about the problem and had tried to fix it themselves off their own bat as Nissan wouldn't do anything about it.

Got the 40 back last Tuesday, I think she sounds better now than she did brand new, sounds .... solid, is the best way I can describe it, nothing rattles now. Didin't get to see the old chain and guides, forgot to ask when I picked up the ute and the dealer said they usually get sent back to Nissan.

Dealer was great, no hassles with anything, signed my name once and that's all the work I had to do, couldn't have been easier.

I know a lot of you doubted this claim and reckond to not even involve Nissan, but just wanted to all let you the Good News, my Goodwill Warranty Claim was approved by Nissan. New Engine + Labour at their cost. A win for the customer. So freaking Happy. Gladstone Nissan (4680 QLD) couldn't have been more helpful throughout this process.

Latest posts

Back