anyone use the ipad2 ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navdog_d40

Reaction score
hey guys i have a ipad2 to witch means it has the net where eva i have 3g
does anyone use this as a gps ? i was reading the new 4x4action mag and it was saying about the apps u can buy and use for a gps..now they cost a little bit but not as much as a offroad gps

has anyone got one how good and how is it mounted in your car ?

cheers guys

That's a big screen to mount in the car.

My wife has one. She doesn't use the 3G in it, the 3G is done by her iPhone and she uses the "personal hotspot" feature to give the iPad an internet connection.

She does have the TomTom software installed on it and it's bloody marvellous. It's a bit smarter than the iGo8 software on my Pioneer in-dash system and the big screen really helps to see things clearly.

I'd hate to mount the thing though. First it's way too big to put above the dash, it would block too much forward vision. It would also get in the way of the other controls in the dash if mounted lower - which would affect its ability to 'see' the GPS satellites.

Second, it's large and heavy compared to other GPS units and on Australia's gorgeously smooth roads (cough! cough!) you'd find it would shake itself off its mounts or out of position fairly quickly.

My wife holds hers when she needs to look stuff up. At other times it just rests beside the central tunnel.

Yeah, you get one of those wife/girlfriend mounts. install it into the front seat. Attach the left and right securing arms and you can put it in any position you need then. Their great. But warning if you don't secure them properly, they make a bit of noise. :rofl2:

Yeah, you get one of those wife/girlfriend mounts. install it into the front seat. Attach the left and right securing arms and you can put it in any position you need then. Their great. But warning if you don't secure them properly, they make a bit of noise. :rofl2:

ROFL! Goodone.

having that mounted in the car would make u feel like u have a 50inch plasma in there :rofl2:

Very good, :rofl2:

I'm too old and creaky to mount my wife in the car. Ooops, sorry, is that off-topic???

Last edited:
Getting close to an A4 page. Supposed to be a '10 inch screen' roughly, but that can't be right, because we stopped using inches back in 1976.

But they're made, sorry, designed in America as the exceptionally homosexual package for my iPhone informed me

That's what I meant by being in the way of the controls. It's also a fair way to look away from the road.

Still, if that does it for you, go for it. The iPad supports bluetooth audio, so you can load up your tunes on it and hear them on an earpiece. You could also use one of those FM transmitters to broadcast the output of the iPad's earphone jack to your in-dash radio.

The biggest problem with having it there is picking up the GPS signal. My wife has to hold hers near (and I mean a few cm away at most) the passenger airbag so that it can see sky. Does the iPad support an external GPS antenna?

My mate has a Disco4 and that's how his ipad is set up, except his mounting point is inside the glove box. You're right OT about having to look away from the road but the screen is so big that you wouldn't need to keep referring to it.
He uses a fm transmitter but it would be much better if you could stream music through BT.

I use the normal window RAM mount when offroad-and then remove it when back on the street. I tried some cheapo eBay ones and they were utterly useless-don't waste your time. VMS is still on sale for $150 ( guessing because the HEMA app just came out), go and get some reduced iTunes vouchers (check sales Woolies, DSE, Coles, Target etc) and you'll pick it up for close to $100.
Yes it's big-but a bit of forward thinking should ensure you don't miss too much on the track ahead...

does any one use mud maps ?? 150 bucks but still cheaper than a vms but they use vms maps anyways

This is the mount my mate uses in his GU for his Ipad.

darrin003.jpg

darrin007.jpg

So who uses what I'm keen on buying hema as mud maps isn't really my kind of thing being a no name product and no back up either. I have a ram mont in the car and used it for a couple of local trips using apple maps and can't complain one bit.

i can vouch for mudmap, its pretty awesome.
takes a bit to get used to
best thing i found was i found a few bugs and left feedback for the developer, he responded on a Sunday within 12 hours explaining a they only just relesased it and the next few updates will fix alot of things. come the next update it was all fixed

the live tracking works well and the maps are great.

Latest posts

Back