ARB Canopy on 2012 ST-X

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solly

Reaction score
Hope someone can help, I did a search but couldn't really find the answer.

I have just taken delivery of my new ST-X V6TD and have had nothing but problems with the ARB canopy that was fitted (I won't go into too much detail as I am still dealing with ARB on this and other issues).

The canopy that is fitted has huge gaps at the corners near the tailgate, large enough that I can put two finger in. ARB have told me that that's how they fit on Navara's. It appears to be a very poor fit to me.

I have had 3 other D/Cab's all with canopies (not ARB) and all have had good seals with no gaps.

If anyone has an ARB canopy fitted, can you let me know if this is how yours fits. I have attached a photo to try and show what I am refering to.

Thanks

Solly...

Attachments

• P2190423.jpg
    P2190423.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 304
Not the best photo but that's mine before i took the canopy off. DEFINANTLY didnt have gaps like that.

Attachments

• image-2856805797.jpg
    image-2856805797.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 165
Mine is an ST and I was going to reply but could not make heads or tails of your photo.

I don't have any offending gaps but I don't know where you are actually looking.

My old man's ARB didn't have gaps like that but the local ARB guy is a moron and has no idea about customer service or respect for other peoples property, yet his last ARB on his Crewman installed by a different mob was done fine. I've never been a fan of ARB but the more I hear about their shitty installers the more I'm glad I never chose one.

You mention that you're still dealing with ARB so keep at them, the pic you took is a little hard to see the exact details without seeing more but it's clearly a shit job and they need to fix it.

That looks like the right hand rear where the tailgate and tail light are. Looking from the bottom up, so the left of the picture is the seal that goes over the tailgate.

I don't have a d40 or even a canopy for that matter, but good luck getting it sorted out

I agree with bods about where it's taken from but there is something that looks seriously out of whack that may not look as bad in a wider shot.

Thanks for all your help so far. I have taken a few more photos to try and explain better.

There are large gaps where the canopy sits at the rear corners near the tailgate. I can put my finger all the way. I have taken photos of each side from the inside also, it shows the daylight streaming in through the gaps.

This canopy has been a nightmare. This is the second canopy fitted by ARB and the 6th (yes 6th) rear glass door. When the 2nd one broke it damaged the paint on the tailgate and had to be re-sprayed. This all occurred in the driveway of the dealership on delivery day, 3000km from home... Not Happy :rambo:

Attachments

• Drivers Side.jpg
    Drivers Side.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Drivers side gap.jpg
    Drivers side gap.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Gap passenger side.JPG
    Gap passenger side.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Passenger side.jpg
    Passenger side.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 192
  • ARB Canopy.jpg
    ARB Canopy.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
One of the problems could be that neither Nissan or ARB guarantee that their product is straight and level. It sucks but unfortunately it's one of those areas that mass production doesn't play nicely with and the manufacturers don't have to worry about because arguing a few millimeters wouldn't get a person far.

My canopy fits a bit different to that on the corners but there is still a gap there because of the way both are made.

The glass breaking issue however tends to lead towards the canopy being fitted to far forward, but if they bring it back it will make the gap even more obvious. I was speaking to a bloke the other day with a Triton who had an ARB canopy installed and the installers had to drag the canopy back 4 inches from the cabin to make the rear glass door shut properly against the tailgate. That shit just shouldn't happen, I've heard of some bad stories about canopy fitment and design and I wasn't without troubles of my own when I brought mine but these ARB issues do seem to be propping up a lot more than any other maker at the moment.

This is my 4th canopy fitted to a vehicle (my 1st ARB). I accept that it will never be a perfect seal, but all the others have fitted way better than this one.

The current glass door (#6) feels like it is about to go as well. The local ARB stockist said it's the worst he has seen and said ' be carefull, that glass is going to go'.
I now have to make a 640km return trip to Darwin to let the ARB blokes there have a look.

I have looked at several other D40's with canopies (not ARB) and they all appear to be a much better fit.

The battle continues.

Mine does have a gap in the same spot. Yours may be worse because your liner goes over the top of the tailgate, therefore the glass is sitting further from the tailgate.

I can take some photos if you want but seeing as the tailgate liner is different there is probably not much point.

Just let me know if you want the photos.

I have the same problem with ARB canopy on a 2012 ST-X. I have already had the canopy replaced. My original complaint was the colour mis-match. ARB charged extra to match the colour, NEVER happened. Same gap around the tailgate as you described. Currently playing with rubber bits from Clark Rubber to see I can fill in the gaps

Same on my 2012, thinking about ditching the tub altogether & getting a custom Gitsham or Stallion steel one built to suit my specific trade needs

Hope someone can help, I did a search but couldn't really find the answer.

I have just taken delivery of my new ST-X V6TD and have had nothing but problems with the ARB canopy that was fitted (I won't go into too much detail as I am still dealing with ARB on this and other issues).

The canopy that is fitted has huge gaps at the corners near the tailgate, large enough that I can put two finger in. ARB have told me that that's how they fit on Navara's. It appears to be a very poor fit to me.

I have had 3 other D/Cab's all with canopies (not ARB) and all have had good seals with no gaps.

If anyone has an ARB canopy fitted, can you let me know if this is how yours fits. I have attached a photo to try and show what I am refering to.

Thanks

Solly...

The one i had fitted to my Triton was as you have explained , and all the bitching in the world didn't see it rectified , let me guess the other ARB issue you have it the color coding on your bullbar ?

Mine fits like a glove. But then I don't have a tub-liner fitted. The tub liner lifts the whole canopy assembly, preventing it sitting down hard on the sides of the tub.

Latest posts

Back