Are bull bar miss legal?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically yes!, it has been approved to ADR standards and should you modify it you are changing the design and it wont comply with the manufacturers original approval.

John's right. Reapproval would cost a LOT of money - more than fitting a brand new bar of the style you really want.

With that said, removing the hoops from the side, for example, won't significantly alter the amount of damage it will do to a pedestrian - but you will lose your headlight protection.

John's right. Reapproval would cost a LOT of money - more than fitting a brand new bar of the style you really want.

With that said, removing the hoops from the side, for example, won't significantly alter the amount of damage it will do to a pedestrian - but you will lose your headlight protection.

Ah damn. I just wanted to cut all the top hoops off completely.
I thought since the mounts or crumple zones wouldn't have been altered it may have been ok.
Eh.
I'll just leave them on i guess.

There are several components to bullbar testing, crumple zone effects is just one. How a pedestrian is affected by them is another - that's why there's so much noise about the 5-poster bars. The argument goes like this:

Road authority: "If you hit a pedestrian with a 5-poster bar, they'll be snapped over the top of the bar and will suffer more significant injuries as a result, whereas the approved bar allows the pedestrian to fold more gently over the bar and not suffer as badly - that's also why fishing rod holders can't be mounted on the bullbars"

5-poster owner: "I need the protection offered by the 5-poster to protect me from zombie kangaroos. If they're dumb enough to be on the road when I'm comin' past, they deserve to have their guts ripped out by mah fishin' rod holders!".

What's so surprising is that these things haven't been clamped down on years ago. The laws are changing slowly, but there's a lot of resistance. Unfortunately the talk of "nanny state" is often true, but balanced by the few idiots that consider excessive variations from what is safer for all.

Society will find a decent balance. Not today, not tomorrow, but we'll eventually get there.

What's so surprising is that these things haven't been clamped down on years ago.

They will be soon, in NSW at least. There's currently a 2 year exemption on non compliant bullbars, which expires Sept 2016. Anyone with a non complaint bar after that date can probably expect close scrutiny from the fuzz.

For what it's worth I have the ARB sahara bar with detachable hoop & rubber over riders removed. Effectively what you'd be looking at. Legal because ARB have tested them like that I guess.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430988116.517605.jpg
These are my bars.
Fully certified and air bag comparable .

Latest posts

Back