Ask Old Tony

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4.0lt

Reaction score
Rumble under dash

Tony,

Had the Stx at Nissan today for wheel testing so while it was there asked them to check a noise that occurs on startup when cold.The sound is like a pump starting up (rumble) under the dash.

Result was that all Navara`s lose pressure in something. Nissan now about the problem, shop foreman said but aren`t doing anything about it.

As you are the Guru maybe you can shed some more light on it.

Cheers Bruce

Last edited:
First, I think the subject should be "Rumbling sound under dash" so it can be searched better!

Under the dash there are only a few things that make actual noise. The first is the vent motors which make little whirring sounds (while they're working smoothly) and there's the heater matrix and cooler evaporator. Both of these latter items have fluid pumping through them.

You could check your radiator fluid level, and have an air conditioning mechanic check the fluid levels there.

I can't think of anything else it might be, if it's definitely inside the cabin then there's little else there that could cause it.

As for the guru tag ... I use Google a lot, so I can't take all the credit.

Good call, on the title and the possible noise origin. My STX also does the vent motor start up thingy.
I wonder 4.0lt, could you ask the workshop foreman?

P.S. Tony, we do appreciate your input.

To see if it is the noise as we all suspect try changing your vent position. If you have it on Windscreen it has to open the vents to suit but at rest I think it goes to the dash forward facing vents.

I had a problem noise when changing the vent direction. It sounded a bit like having a bit of plastic protruding marginally into the wheel spokes on a pushbike when riding....if you get my drift. Mr Nissan (or I should probably mr Lennock in Canberra) had a fix for this and did it while doing one of the services. Now a year or more since it was fixed and no sign of returning. I got onto the cause of this noise from a mate who has an R51 Pathfinder....same thing happen with it and apparently a very common issues with the R51.

The same noise under the dash also happens in mine after the ignition has been turned off. It must store in a nuetral position in stanby or something along those lines.

Latest posts

Back