Audio upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmm,
anyone know anything about installing a custom aux port to the stock stereo? i'd like to be able to hook up my mp3 player direct.

or anyone know a cheap and basic stereo that has an aux port?

cheers all

Hey Maddogrc,

Not sure about AUX into the stock unit.

There are a heap of cheap head units out there that will do the job and AUX seems to be a standard inclusion these days. Around $100-$140 will get you MP3 with AUX input made by any of the big names (Sony, Pioneer etc.). I'm sure you could snag a unknown brand for a lot less. Advice I will give is BARGAIN them down for a better deal. Go to all of the stores JB, WOW etc and ask for their best price, and tell them you are going to their competitors to do the same. I was blown away by the savings I made.

Guido

Hi all

I've fitted 4" rear speakers in the rear doors. Spent the money and bought the adaptor plates from Nissan @ $30, not cheap but after seeing them should have just cut up some tin plate!

The 4" speakers fit and don't foul the window winders, however they face directly on the rear seat squab but do add rear fill to the sound.

The wiring was in the door but only ran to the C pillar, so I ran complete new wires. I had already replaced head unit and front speakers with some JBLs.

Best of luck.

sman

Hey sman you got a part number on those adaptor plates? I don't mind paying 30 bucks to save a bit of time. What 4" speakers did you use? Factory Nissan? Cheers

rear speakers

sorry dont have part no. but but shows up on nissans computer. the parts guy a liverpool nissan said he had sold a few of these the speakers were sony but with the adapter most 4inch speakers should fit dont think there is room for anything bigger but they do the job

Hey guys,

Well i've done the install of the new audio and everything went smooth as silk!

I went with a JVC MP3/USB/AUX head unit, 6" 3-way Pioneer for front doors and 6x9" 3-way Pioneer in boxes behind the rear seat.

The 6x9 boxes are a bit big for behind the rear seat but with a bit of force it clips back ok. I'll probably look for alternative boxes if the seat wants to unclip but after 3 days it hasn't yet. Surprisingly they don't protrude into the back seat occupants either. The reason I went with the boxes are so I can take them out of the vehicle when camping etc and have sound outside. I'm yet to rig it up for that purpose yet but i have the speaker cable and just need to rig up an easy clip in/out solution. They sound a bit dead being behind the seat, but I can live with that (gives good bass!). I also needed to re-position the jack. I stood it up into the corner and it's held tight by a few cable ties. I'm still looking for a better location.

The 6" fronts were a breeze as they were the same size as the pod already in the vehicle. Out with the old, in with the new.

The head unit was not difficult to do, but time consuming. I bought the harness from Autobarn and just needed to solder the matching cables. Ran some new cable down one side for the rears and done!

So I fancy myself as a bit of an audio install pro now :22: Easily under $400 and a great difference in quality. I suggest having a go if you are keen.

Cheers,
Guido

hey mate,
just about to install the same type of cd player/mp3 player rig you got there, and was wondering:

did you have to buy any additional items for installing it itself?

was it just pull out plugs from old radio and plug into new one, or what is involved?

any other tips for installing the JVC?

cheers and many thanks,
george

Hey George,

The headunit comes with a harness that clips into the back and has all the wires necessary. There is a wiring diagram that comes with the unit also.

I went to Autobarn and bought the adaptor to suit Nissan 95 and onwards (I think it said Maxima).

Clip the new head unit one in, clip the adaptor to the existing harness, then away you go soldering the correct wires. They all matched colours in my case so it was not painful at all. 2 people is necessary though. Provide some heat-shrink to each wire and done.

You will notice that there will be a few wires extra coming out of the new head unit harness. These are the wires provided for the rear speakers + & -. If you ever decide to run rear speakers, run your new wire from your speakers and solder it to these direct. There is also wire for power antenna.

I'm fairly sure there is also the option to purchase a brand name specific adaptor. It comes with one end to suit your brand of unit, and the other end is universal. Then you purchase the vehicle specific harness with the universal adaptor on the other end. Make sense? I didn't have a chance to look at this method because they were not in stock. From what I can imagine it will remove the need to solder wires as it provides a universal adaptor in the middle.

I think that's everything. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers,
Guido

cheers bro!

cant wait to pick up my jvc aux/mp3/cd player for $89.98 though gonna go to JB and get them to try match or beat that price as super cheap has them for that much.

and i got a $50 credit card voucher thing for my recent 17th bday so the radio is only gonna cost me like 50 bucks, lol

ok, have an interesting problem.

bought a sony stereo and wired it up all using a harness to make it easier. when radio was outside of the mount area it worked. then turned it off and put it up in the mount area. turned car on but didnt work, pressed all buttons, held on button, nothing...

got multimeter out and getting 12v and good ground. also checked all fuses in car, works fine.

any idea of the issue?

note: plugged back in original nissan stereo and that doesnt turn on either! what the hell!?

cheers,
george

Last edited:
Hmmm, strange that it was working, now it isn't. Try pulling apart the adaptors and work the multimeter on all the power wires. There has to be a problem with power. Process of elimination all the way back to the head unit. Other than that i'm not sure. Just double check all solder connections are good, that might be picked up during the checking with the multimeter.

Let us know how you go.

Guido

found out that the yellow wire, +12v battery, is 0v while the red wire, ignition +12v, has a full 12.5v roughly.

which fuse would i have blown and where is it located? i checked all the fuses in the front/inside compartment, just not the under bonnet one yet. doing that once i find the spare keys (mum took the other set, lol)

cheers

all sorted, audio fuse in the bonnet fuse box had blown so took out the 10A mirror fuse (even though i dont have electric mirrors, lol, or is the mirror fuse something else?) and now is all good.

pics:
l_772db0998a0743b084f4993ae40c5bf6.jpg

l_aacc59cbe1fd4b7ab75fe6b1d37cd3ba.jpg

l_2cdbdd2b18c049dd90ef48efc69a42f3.jpg

l_54ba371c447e40ffb358887b58e9ed26.jpg

all sorted, audio fuse in the bonnet fuse box had blown so took out the 10A mirror fuse (even though i dont have electric mirrors, lol, or is the mirror fuse something else?) and now is all good.

Thats interesting to know, nice install mate. Looks good.

Dave.

Hey Maddogrc,

Not sure about AUX into the stock unit.

There are a heap of cheap head units out there that will do the job and AUX seems to be a standard inclusion these days. Around $100-$140 will get you MP3 with AUX input made by any of the big names (Sony, Pioneer etc.). I'm sure you could snag a unknown brand for a lot less. Advice I will give is BARGAIN them down for a better deal. Go to all of the stores JB, WOW etc and ask for their best price, and tell them you are going to their competitors to do the same. I was blown away by the savings I made.

Guido

hey,
cheers for recommending the savings n stuff by the way by going round to different shops.

heres a pic of the item i bought and the price on it compared to the price i actually got it for, lol

l_ef39c23d4657410789ef4f7117dd22b7.jpg

i put spacers in my back doors to hold the 6x9s. they not loud but will have a huge difference when i have pulled the back seat out and done shelving for sub, amp, aux battery, and tool box

g'day..... Apart from the two screws above the heater controls.. are there any others?

Cheers Pete...

Check your fuses first of all, make sure you havent hooked up the purple wire to the earth, it will test as an earth all day long, but if you turn your lights on it will blow your tail lights and dash lights. Its because its a dim light for the original head unit and runs a positive.
You can run another earth if your so inclined, mynes just dangling and seems to run just fine.
Stuart

Latest posts

Back