Auto box

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 2012 v6 outlaw. I always warm up my engine before I drive, sometimes longer than other times. If I drive with engine only slightly warm gear change in lower range are noticeable but if engine is very warm gear change is much smoother, is this normal ?
Any replies would be appreciated.

Yes.

The gearbox oil has to be the right consistency for the valving to work properly (it's designed like that).

If you idle the car long enough to warm the engine, your transmission fluid will be warmed as well (if you haven't changed radiators or plumbing up front). The gearbox has two oil lines that run up the front and connect to the radiator. This allows the engine to warm up the transmission oil when the weather is cold, and for the radiator to cool the transmission fluid when you're working the car hard.

Some people (myself included) disconnect the radiator from the transmission hoses and connect them to a separate external cooler. We miss out on the warming up and obviously have to just work the gearbox reasonably gently when first starting, but the external cooler cools more efficiently than the radiator-based one which helps when you're towing.

It's normal for me too. The transmission change up and change down points are different when the engine is cold.
Actually the V6 has both a transmission cooler in the radiator and a separate transmission cooler, of you count there are actually seven radiators behind the grille.

On a separate point, it is nowadays seen as non beneficial to warm an engine up by letting it idle for 10 minutes.

It's normal for me too. The transmission change up and change down points are different when the engine is cold.
Actually the V6 has both a transmission cooler in the radiator and a separate transmission cooler, of you count there are actually seven radiators behind the grille.

On a separate point, it is nowadays seen as non beneficial to warm an engine up by letting it idle for 10 minutes.
Thanks for your reply, at least I know it's normal.

Latest posts

Back