Auto gearbox won't move when in D. Help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b2tf

Reaction score
Noticed today that when going into 'D' the Nav wouldnt move very well, like the handbrake was stuck on (which it wasn't). After a big clunk from the back end it finally started moving but was very 'held back' if that makes sense.

Got it straight home and checked the fluid level in the auto - virtually none. Dropped 3L of fluid in there (Nulon one that meets the Nissan J Spec) and now it is worse, the car is very reluctant to move when in D. Reverse seems ok but not its normal self either.

I'm at a loss as to what else to do or check, any suggestions or is it a tow truck to the auto shop job.

Hey buddy I had the same issue as you! It's transmission wind up you will need to drive the car in reverse for about half a K and then she should come alive again! Good luck!

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone experiencing this.

Just a quick query, was the auto oil on the dispstick barely visible for you? I noticed mine was very thin, even the new stuff I put in. Coming from a Falcon background the oil in the BTR's was always blood red and quite thick compared to this. I've put 4L in already and dont want to overload it but just curious as to whether it should be a very obvious 'line' on the dipstick or whether traces of it are enough to be an indicator.

What year model and how many klms on it.
It must not ever been checked b4 to be down 4lts.

Hey buddy I had the same issue as you! It's transmission wind up you will need to drive the car in reverse for about half a K and then she should come alive again! Good luck!

What the???? Can you try and explain the thoery on that?

What year model and how many klms on it.
It must not ever been checked b4 to be down 4lts.

05 D40 with about 93,000 on it. Was told it has been serviced prior to me buying it - obviously not.

Doesnt appear to be, was concerned it may be the cooler but no signs of a leak there either.

Very odd as it was driving fine this morning and now just doesnt want to move.

I think I might flatbed it into the auto place tomorrow and get them to check it out. Really don't want to put a new box in it.

Backed it into the garage though and the wifes work car is in the way. I will do it in the morning and see how it goes.

What the???? Can you try and explain the thoery on that?

Well I had mine do that about a year ago and I remembered from my old car about auto transmissions it's wind up from driving and if you back off the pedal during gear change it slips and winds it up.. It fixed my problem after I reversed it for about 1/2 a K came good after that.. Maybe you can google it and find out

Wind up only occurs if he car is in 4wd on road for an extended period, even then it doesn't usually take half a k to unwind

Wind up only occurs if he car is in 4wd on road for an extended period, even then it doesn't usually take half a k to unwind

Just to clarify mine has never been in 4WD. I dont use it.

I had a leaking wheel cylinder and it would grab. I wonder if its a coincidence at thesame time as the low oil?

This is a new one. I wonder if the TCM is sensing over-temp/over-pressure/valvefault and telling the ECU to go into limp mode.

Limp mode crossed my mind too. What does it limit when it is in limp mode? Engine revs freely etc, it feels like it is all in the transmission.

Mmm, the trip home after the initial 'clunk' was doing around 100kms and once it actually went into gear it was fine. I was very gentle with it though.

I am reluctant to rev it to try and get it to move better, at the moment all I am doing is dropping it into D and taking my foot off the brake with very, very light throttle and feeling a lot of resistance. Reverse seems ok but still resisting. No obvious damage or leaks to gearbox, tailshaft etc.

Wouldnt be diff would it?

Same result when it is 1,2,3 or D. I thought maybe I'd just lost a gear but it doesnt appear that way.

No noises from diff etc, I was going to drop the fluid and check it but didn't have anything to fill it up with, so I left it as is. I think my best bet is to get it looked at by a pro, I dont have the time or patience to nut it out.

All this while I'm trying to sell it! Doh!

Back