Auto Transmission Cooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Can anyone explain why the oil from the auto gear box is routed through the radiator as well as the trans air cooler? Can it be put solely through the air cooler as any chance of water in the gear box from a problem with the radiator would cause huge problems!
Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know why Nissan did that, but I have heard of someone replacing their auto cooler with an external unit that doesn't use the radiator.

for one...to warm up the ATF as quickly as possible and then keep it at operating temp...
fit an ext cooler for towing/HD applications

yes u can bypass the factory cooler with just an ext cooler.....it takes a lot longer for the tranny to get to operating temp which is not ideal

Thanks for that. Where I live the ambient temperature is hot all year so, maybe, the radiator section could be bypassed. My mechanic friend says the result of water entering the gear box would be really awful and hugely expensive. Better to reroute in his opinion.

Thanks for that. Where I live the ambient temperature is hot all year so, maybe, the radiator section could be bypassed. My mechanic friend says the result of water entering the gear box would be really awful and hugely expensive. Better to reroute in his opinion.

is the ambient temp 80 deg C where you are??

never heard of water getting into the gearbox, i think the risk would be small.
check which way the flow goes, ie which cooler is first in line.

i would fit a bypass thermostat on the cooler line. that gets the gearbox up to minimum temp quickly.

Back