Aux batt in tub or under tub??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jnrsnav

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm up to the dual batt stage of my build. I'm a bit split as to which way to go, so I thought I would find out what you guys have done and if your happy with your decision of putting in the tub or under? I have a 2013 D40 2.5.
Cheers

I put mine in the tub mounted on a couple of lengths of Unistrut:

20130506_192449.jpg

And it is wired through to a fuse box in the cab behind the back seats via an Anderson plug so that I can quickly pop it out if I need to.

20130506_192435.jpg

I went for the tub for a combination of reasons:
a plastic box in the tub is far cheaper than one of the metal brackets to hang under the tub
Ease of access if I need to give it a charge etc
It's protected in the tub from the worst of elements thrown up from the road/trail
Sits just nicely next to the tool box and chainsaw which all live in there.

There's actually a fair bit of room under the tub - until you fit a long range tank like I have done.

My aux sits over the right-hand wheel arch. This allows me to have the fridge on the left hand side of the vehicle so that when I am stopped on the side of the road I can rummage around in it for a cold beer before I drive off again without risk of injury from a passing car. After the 7th or 8th beer you're sorta wobbly standing beside the car.

The cabling comes up and over a channel in the corner of the tub, no holes needed.

YBOD i like the anderson plug idea.
Mine is mounted in the tub as well with the cables running along the top of the chassis to the crank battery.The cables are inside that black ribbed flexi conduit stuff.The fuse box is above the battery box and a battery check in the top right of the tub.

For securing the box i used two eye bolts and a tie down strap and shaped some flat bar to resemble the utili track system,welded the eye bolts to the flat bar.

I think the under body battery mounting option(up near the gearbox cross member?)leaves risk of damage to cables and not easy to do maintenance.

I'm in th early stages of doing this aswell, I am going to mount mine hard up underneath the tub. Probably wire an anderson plug to somewhere easily accessable so I can just plug a charger into it or a solar panel. An maybe use a low maintenance battery. I have a hard top on my D40 so more room the better!

I went the "in the tub" option. I have a set of drawers and a water tank so I placed 2 x 55Ah gel battery between the drawers and the water tank.
Underneath the tub I have an air tank and the long range tank.
I guess the key for this kind of decision is thinking at what you want from your car and what needs do you have.
Good luck

http://www.navara.asia/showthread.php?t=19187

Latest posts

Back