Balance shaft bearings

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ytreg

Reaction score
Had my 05 zd30 in for a potential injector pump replacement, being the lucky guy that I am I just got a call from the mechanic saying that they are fairly sure that the balance shaft bearings are on their way out. He said I really have two options either a replacement donk (or a rebuild which I think would be quite expensive) or I sell it. He is gathering some prices for me. With a replacement would the injector pump also be a replacement? and is this all worth undertaking or should I bite the bullet and sell? Does anybody have any idea what sort of money I should be expecting if I do sell the car.

Cheers Jon.

Hi , what a shame . I feel for ya man... yeah it's the bush at the back of the block that's a bitch to do - motor out etc... how many k's has she done ? cheers vic

oh and no about injector pump.. if you buy a reco block anything that attaches to the block is replaced with your parts !

Yeah I thought that would be the case. Just over 100000 so not many. I'm beginning to think the owner before me abused her a bit these things are hard to diagnose too before buying.

Well all he said on the phone was it was making a terrible noise and they believe it's the balance shaft bearings, they have had it in for a week or so looking at this pump issue.

oh man.....that's bugger all k's... tweake's always good for diagnostics - I'm always knocking on his "cyber door"... don't forget you can always get a second opinion, just make sure you run it past Tweak'e for a third ! all the best and keep "us here" posted !

I've always wondered about the elgrade zd30 (those ugly people movers) , just thinking they don't get pushed as hard as a 4'b and most where autos with no tow bars ! Tweak'e correct me if I'm wrong but I think they had a veritable turbo on'em also ! food for thought if you need a motor..

Last edited:
I think the zd30 in the elgrand might be an "east/ west" configuration.
nah they are north south.
the zd30 is very under tuned in them. the one i saw under the bonnet was variable turbo but no IC and under 100kw. i think that one may even been common rail.

over here they are also have one of the highest theft rates.

Mate id go to your nearest cat or komatsu dealer buy a oil sample kit do an oil sample and it will tell if theres high metal content in your engine oil and what type of metal there is

I think the zd30 in the elgrand might be an "east/ west" configuration. Here's an old post on balance shafts from the patrol forum, something I didn't know. Read post #22 by nizzbits .http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...0l-motor-second-time-around-28409/index2.html

Cheers mate a pretty good read, seems it has happened to a few people. Are the zd30 in the patrols and navar as the same? I know the turbo is variable in the patrol and I read somewhere its a different computer? Need to work out if it's a good,idea to rebuild or replace donk (waiting on a price from mechanic) but judging by the post from nizzbits unless it's a genuine nissan kit it won't contain balance shaft bearings and shafts. Also will still need a new or rebuilt injector pump if I rebuild the engine. Just a pain in the arse as I'm starting on a new site this week and now need to share my partners car.

Mate id go to your nearest cat or komatsu dealer buy a oil sample kit do an oil sample and it will tell if theres high metal content in your engine oil and what type of metal there is

What sort of metal would I be looking for if it is the balance shaft bearings? I guess any metal content isn't great but there would be some due to wear and tear.

I thought they are a bush ? I maybe thinking of an early model here ! If I could find out where the pic is in the manual grrr still searching ! ring around the wreckers, I know a good one in Melbourne if it helps !

Jus got a quote from mechanic, can't find a motor with lower ks then the one I have and he said that exactly the same thing could happen down the track to the 2nd hand motor. He has quoted me 11000 for a full rebuild. I don't know if this is good or not but I think it's around the average? I don't think it would be worth selling as its not running well at all really

Cheers mate a pretty good read, seems it has happened to a few people. Are the zd30 in the patrols and navar as the same? I know the turbo is variable in the patrol and I read somewhere its a different computer? Need to work out if it's a good,idea to rebuild or replace donk (waiting on a price from mechanic) but judging by the post from nizzbits unless it's a genuine nissan kit it won't contain balance shaft bearings and shafts. Also will still need a new or rebuilt injector pump if I rebuild the engine. Just a pain in the arse as I'm starting on a new site this week and now need to share my partners car.

What Nizzbits says in that post is that they DON"T sell the bearings separately. A rebuild kit included a new engine block, as that is the only way to get new balance shaft bearings, they were never sold as a separate item unfortunately. Rebuilding or buying second hand might not be the best idea.

you can get aftermarket bearings for them.
its just a big job to do.
the other way is to simply remove the shafts.

what i would like to know is how they recon its balance shaft bearings. especially if its got injection problems which can create some weird noises and vibrations.

Yea I don't know anything about these balance shafts. But its only done 100 000klm. It would of had to of had a hard life and no oil changes to stuff the bearings. And the injectors should also be fine at that klm's.
unless its a common problem.?????

Latest posts

Back