Battery in tub question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
After having the under the chassis battery set up removed (I actually didn't mind it there, but had it completely removed and money refunded), I've now mounted a 120AH AGM in the tub.

I've got a hard lid and am wondering if there is any issue with a battery and redarc charger in there considering there is no ventilation. Once the tub is filled with camping gear and fridge it's going to be even less ventilated (not to mention hot during summer). Has anyone had any issues in terms of heat and ventilation?

Thanks for any feedback.
Dave

What sort of battery? AGM or acid battery. The AGMs let off bugger all but still need a little ventilation. The acids need a heap more breathing space. You can always put a vent tube to go from the battery to a hole in the hard lid or get tricky and put a vent hole elsewhere.

I've seen a bloke on myswag put a cap sort of thing across the vent holes on the batteries then hook all up to a hose system that is plumbed to a vent outside.

AGM's don't produce any gas and perform well in confined spaces unlike a wet cell battery. You have no problems mate fuse or circuit breaker either end will take care of any other issue's.

Firstly, AGM batteries are allowed to be in enclosed spaces in Australia now. Secondly, put some black cloth in the tub and go for a drive on an outback (dirt) road. You'll very, very quickly discover that your tub isn't sealed at all - it leaks rather badly!

Thanks for the responses.

Old.Tony (or anyone), where would you say the biggest 'leaks' are in the tub - the gaps between tailgate and tub?

In the D40, there are two triangular sections in the front corners of the tub under the lip that will allow air (or water, if you're wading a river) in. There are also drain holes at the front of the tracks in the floor of the tub, and finally yes the gaps around the tailgate that they practice parking Boeing 777s in.

Back