Battery light on dash staying on

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would have been power steering fluid in a falcon as the alternator was mounted below the power steering pump / resovior setup in them. Navara's are ok in that the alternator is mounted away from everything.

As for the problem, are all the wires on the back of the alternator connected? I'd also check and see if there is a fusible link in the feed from the alternator to the battery and make sure that is ok too.

Ahhh ford's, I do love'm - had some funny dash power issues them too, I thought my work p/van was possessed once coming through Melbourne.. Tow home and turned out to be eath in left kick panel , hit the indercator and radio came on with blower lol Melbourne peak hour just on dusk...

Yes, checked those "Angel hair" wires very gently ;) plug off and back on..

Onto manual now checking for fuses etc..... also continuity of that circuit.... nav life eh danmit!

Ah yeah good old earth's...

Have you got battery voltage at the large battery feed wire on the back of the alternator or nothing? Seems strange for it to just stop working all of a sudden. Unless a solder join somewhere inside the housing has broken away... Might be worth pulling the regulator out and see what it looks like too...

Ah yeah good old earth's...

Have you got battery voltage at the large battery feed wire on the back of the alternator or nothing? Seems strange for it to just stop working all of a sudden. Unless a solder join somewhere inside the housing has broken away... Might be worth pulling the regulator out and see what it looks like too...

No, not yet.. couldn't get near it again today.. Tomorrow is the day!

Regulator you say, which one lol I'm just getting to the manual now tracing/tracking things to look at tomorrow..

I thought that was it haha. I will have to have a look when I get home.

We may have different manuals? I grabbed mine off fleebay, it does say it covers TD, ZD, KA but I can't find the same section you posted ....

*Ok found it, in my CD manual I found the Starting / Charging section under EL "electrical system". The file on the CD is SM9E-D22BGO

Last edited:
I'll post up what pages I find regarding the "battery/combination " dash light..
sorry for the pics, but the lap top I use for the manual and diagnostic "Etalk program" is not conected to any internet service..

This one regarding cluster Diodes placement..

Attachments

• 20190429_165239.jpg
    20190429_165239.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
This one has me thinking that the brakes and fuel also use this warning light? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 20190429_165649.jpg
    20190429_165649.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190429_180937.jpg
    20190429_180937.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190429_182323.jpg
    20190429_182323.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
One with more details..

Attachments

• 20190429_170601.jpg
    20190429_170601.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20190429_171317.jpg
    20190429_171317.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190429_181843.jpg
    20190429_181843.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
This one relates to my issues with the ZD..

Field circuit, I guess that would mean- wire continuity "check for breaks in circuit", earth's, fuses, alternator out put, dash cluster Diode ... checking manual for field circuit test and what's involved...

Attachments

• 20190429_171612.jpg
    20190429_171612.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Not sure on the difference on the manuals. I downloaded that one I posted that section from off here ages ago just in case I needed it for anything... hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Not sure on the difference on the manuals. I downloaded that one I posted that section from off here ages ago just in case I needed it for anything... hopefully you can get it sorted out.

Yeah me too, just pulled and sent off alternator so I'll know in a few days...

Yeah me too, just pulled and sent off alternator so I'll know in a few days...

Ok, got the news.. yup, buggered regulator on a relatively new Bosch 90amp Alternator... So much for the "you get what ya' pay for" trip lol I tell you , my life sucks..

Anyway, The man at the desk says never seen one do it?

Okkkk, so that gets me thinking what would cause that? Any suggestion ?

Also, I purchased through Auto8 supplies in Vic, cheapest Bosch.. they received it by post Thursday 2nd and he said today I should expect a new one tomorrow the 7th not bad turn around time from warragul gippsland vic to Wangaratta vic...

Last edited:
What could blow a regulator?

Parts designed to handle a load of 90A are given a load of 90A and they're only just capable of holding that sort of current. They deteriorate fairly quickly and well, I think the Yeti went that way --->

Or worse still - seen this in a range of computer monitors back when they were CRTs - output transistors rated for the minimum load not the maximum. They lasted for a short while then oh, my screen's a lovely shade of purple ... maybe we should dance like it's 1999?

I put a brand new 40A alternator into my postie bike and it die 9,000km later. I've tossed that, and have a 90A alternator in it now. Let's see the extra tail lights break that one!

Oh well, at least you know what's wrong with it....

Ohhhh yeahhh, Auto electrics are my true hell on earth... I was playing with the horn and other dash power outlets whilst waiting for the diff to arrive sooo still a LITTLE concerned atm .. it has to be a freaky coincidence- yes?

What could blow a regulator?

Parts designed to handle a load of 90A are given a load of 90A and they're only just capable of holding that sort of current. They deteriorate fairly quickly and well, I think the Yeti went that way --->

Or worse still - seen this in a range of computer monitors back when they were CRTs - output transistors rated for the minimum load not the maximum. They lasted for a short while then oh, my screen's a lovely shade of purple ... maybe we should dance like it's 1999?

I put a brand new 40A alternator into my postie bike and it die 9,000km later. I've tossed that, and have a 90A alternator in it now. Let's see the extra tail lights break that one!

Hey bloke, are you saying the 90amp ones not big enough - sorry mate it's late I'm missing the yeti analogy?? I think that's what your dr8ving at- yes?

Yeahhhhh could be a knock-off, cheaper boards etc... it was well packed Tony, meaning the box etc looked the goods...

Ooo, well aren't you fancy with your fancy lights ;) mine runs a stator so I can only be fancy to a certain degree ...but I got it looking pretty for the road with lED's, well to get the plates on her anyway... seem to be holding up ok....

Regarding my horse ,I so want to re wire what's been done by 3 or 4 so called auto electricians over the years... I'll bolt this one up and be guided by that, if it dies I'll do it all myself and just work through it forum by forum... oh and buy another fire extinguisher for the cab lol

Latest posts

Back