Best chip for ZD30? What are yas running?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, ben, I got the clutch done asap and been through 3 or 4 tanks since.

The chip is good. Best bang for buck thing iv done to the nav.

Adjustment is via a potentiometer that you twist with a small screwdriver. It turns from say 6 o-clock to 5 o-clock, with 10 markings, and seems to be infinitely adjustable, ie you can set it in between the marks.

The setting it came with was 6-10 and bottom end torque was fantastic compared to standard, top end not quite as noticeable (after the bottom end surge) but the clutch definitely noticed it!

Iv played around with it a bit, I wound it back down to 4 for a tank, mostly cos I wasn't used to the bottom end delivery and new clutch and to see what the fuel figures were like, but they weren't that amazing.

Then up to 8 for a tank, but was smoking a tad under load, and ended up fitting a boost tee on 18psi and the chip on 7.5.

It seems pretty good like this, doesn't smoke, peak egt's about 10% over standard, fuel consumption slightly better than average (maybe 5%) last tank, but theres room for improvement as I modify my driving style.

So all up, pretty rapt, heaps of go, been keeping an eye on fuel consumption, it seems possible to get better or worse mileage depending on driving style, but overall id have to say the ute goes faster on less fuel.

How does the chip express compare to a chip it chip? Sounds like its half the price for same results?! Ive been eyeing off the chip it chip for a while now. Any dyno figures for comparison?

^ good question - anyone?

Hey Rabbit, is it fair to say you could get even better fuel figures once your completely used to the chip? Like when you stop driving it harder than usual? I know when I do a mod eg exhaust or boost gauge, I was driving harder for a fair while, enjoying the change, before I settled down again.

Hey Rabbit, is it fair to say you could get even better fuel figures once your completely used to the chip? Like when you stop driving it harder than usual? I know when I do a mod eg exhaust or boost gauge, I was driving harder for a fair while, enjoying the change, before I settled down again.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Ive been driving it pretty hard but havnt actually gotten LESS kays out of a tank yet.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Ive been driving it pretty hard but havnt actually gotten LESS kays out of a tank yet.

Yeh sweet. Even staying at same consumption with increases performance would be acceptable in my opinion. Except when I used to have a V8 commodore ute, only got 300ks on a tank. Big right foot. Hehe

Howdy Rabbit , how is the chip going ? Is it drinking the fuel ? what about temp's ? I'm in the market for one too and was heading for the Steinberg one because they say they are the safest but all to pricey for me ! cheers zed

Sorry rab just noticed there are 2 pages and didn't see these replies ! But I still have a few questions for you -boost tee ? whats that ? and I didn't think you could adjust boost levels on these turbo's ? sorry for the questions but I know bugger all about diesels and turbo's ..thanks zed

Yeah apparently the extra money spent on the steinbauer and similar is unnecessary on the zd30 engine, but worthwhile on all the newer common rail engines. The boost tee is a small device that costs around 40 - 100 $ depending which brand you get. Im using an old turbosmart one I had lying around. There is a thread on this forum about it - search "DIY boost controller" or something like that. Raising the fuel on a diesel (as per using a chip) will increase egt's (exhaust gas temperature) but raising the boost (putting more air in) will lower egt's as well as helping low rpm spool-up and and generally help make more power as long as there is enough fuel going in. These chip express chips are pretty safe if you leave them at the original setting, but if you want to play around with it id recommend installing an egt guage first. You don't want your egts any higher than 20% above stock ( but don't quote me on this figure, best you research it yourself, all the answers are on this forum)

I have the egt gauge fitted so I am safe there ! I think i'll look into this chip express ! she goes in for injectors and timing chain gears etc kit this week so they can play with the chip whist on the dyno just to be safe ! Thanks for the insight Rab ...

I've had the chipexpress for well over a year maybe 2. Works great, don't pay more, its built around a chip built by the biggest diesel tuning chip company in europe. (German). Australian company's are just overpricing their gear. Get temps will go up but just set an alarm to buzz if goes to high. You really don't need it set on max anyway to make it drive well. On Max it doesn't burn all the fuel and smokes.

I'd like to try out one of the "no limit" ones if they make then for the nav' zd30 ? It has to go in for a dyno anyway and it would be a good way to compare against the dyno's shops "rappit chip" !

I've been running a chipexpress chip for around 6weeks now and I've found it to be an awesome investment. It was $620 delivered and money well spent. I've had good torque and economy increases. I do mostly semi rural driving and constantly getting over 700ks to a tank. I have a 3" exhaust with a resonator no muffler, blocked egr and manual boost controller running 18psi. Awesome combination. Great for towing and everyday driving. Can't speak highly enough of chipexpress for there product and customer service. If your thinking about getting a chip go with chipexpress you won't be disappointed

Yes Hutchie that's the next road I will take if the "no limit" doesn't have one for the Nav' zd30 ! I want to see if they do- how good it works for the zd30 block ! Just so anyone else who want's a module can tell these thieves of "fellow Aussies" asking for 1000.00 plus for them to bash'em where the sun don't shine :)

Oh and I found a great little "boost controller" at "offroadind" go there and search boost controller -very small and compact enough to have it inline with minor mounting ! I got mine for $60 delivered -email them and ask for a discount on the $80 price tag !

Just to bring you up to speed I had it dyno done with the snorkel, uni filter and s/s 3" fitted so "we" will have those read outs to go by ! It's going in for injectors and a full timing chain gears etc kit and hopefully a module too so the read outs from that will be interesting ! I don't have a scanner to post them but I shall write up the percentages in the increases ...

Just to bring you up to speed I had it dyno done with the snorkel, uni filter and s/s 3" fitted so "we" will have those read outs to go by ! It's going in for injectors and a full timing chain gears etc kit and hopefully a module too so the read outs from that will be interesting ! I don't have a scanner to post them but I shall write up the percentages in the increases ...

Good work mate. I know a lot of people will be interested in results.

yea, i cant see them getting any better so i thought i get in now before it gets worse.

I just heard back from "no limit" and NO they don't do one for the Di ZD30 :( danm danm danm ! So it looks like I will go the "chip express" from England for $600 odd and do what Rab said and put this boost controller on it also ! Thanks guys you have been a great help! I'll keep you posted with the dyno results

Back