Best chip for ZD30? What are yas running?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have and a few others have stuck their egt probes in where the egr pipe comes off the manifold. i just removed the pipe, made a blanking plate and tapped my fitting into the plate. easier than putting it into the exhaust and more responsive.

Hi just bought chip express 630$ delivered not bad price will see how it goes

whats the extra money for?

hey guys,

Can anyone tell me what the main difference is between the chip express at $650, or the chipit at $1000 or so is compared to the no limit chip at around $150.

i''ve read the chip express comes with plugs so there is no soldering but what else is different? i've got the no limit chip, and it took me all of 2 hours to put in, so its not real big deal putting it all in.

just wondering is it worth upgrading to this chip or is it all just the marketing hype these chips come out with?

i was reading on their website

"By making your engine significantly more fuel-efficient, the CHIP Express™ digital tuning system means you can achieve substantially better economy from your 3.0 DI too. You'll drive on a smaller throttle opening for a given speed and change gear less, getting you further on a tank of diesel"

the no limit chip can claim the same as well i guess, all the chips does is take your throttle input and add a percentage to it so that the fuel pump puts in more fuel, at that given throttle position.

eg;

throttle at 50%, chip gives the pump 60%.
so high way cruise you may use 35% without the chip, with the chip you may only be putting in 25% throttle position, the chip then makes up the other 10%. hence what was spoken about earlier in the thread that highway cruise egts were the same with or with out the chip. same amount of fuel is going in.

does the chipexpress or any other brand of chip do something different on these zd30's?

dont get me wrong i know they add a heap of pulling power, i can feel it in my ute. i'm guessing that's because some of the limiting the ecu does for emission control on take off and some driving situation is counteracted by the chip adding that extra % of throttle.

maybe this is where some of the fuel saving is coming from that people and chip company claim. by getting to speed quicker and with less "lugging" through the revs.

i'm just wondering whats the extra cost get me? buy a local one and get a few years warranty on it? nearly just as cost effective to buy a new cheap chip each year for he price of one expensive chip and its warranty period. I've had my chip for nearly two years and its still fine so i'm already ahead and who's to say it wont be fine for another years.

if the chip express came with an egt cut out controller or even tapped into the water temp reading for the ecu to monitor the engine it would be well worth the extra IMO but for it to just hook into the pump, and take the throttle .5 to 5v reading and fudge it i'm really not understanding the extra cost? does the extra cost just come into what programming they put into the $3 EPROM that is soldered onto the PCB?

Love to hear your opinion? i'm by no means an expert on these engines or these chips, but my line of work involves me dealing with PID loop controllers, signal isolators, converters and the like, so i would love to learn a bit more about the diesel engine chips and how they differ between the cheap and the expensive.

Cheers
Cameron.

The extra money you normally pay for chip's isnt so much whats inside the box. They are all literally just a few variable resistors and simple circuit board.

Its the warranty, not just for the chip but your vehicle as well. The backup support and service that it generally country wide such as Tuneit offers.
So if or when something goes wrong, you can go to your local dealer or even phone the support tech's and get immediate help.

Rumpig posted up the article I did on the patrol forum, its got some good info in there.
Ill get around to posting it up on the Nav forum again soon.

awesome read

Theres a good post in the patrol forum on how the different chips work. The ZD30 is a spill gate fuel pump.http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/niss...hips-diesel-engine-tuning-how-its-done-76200/

thanks rum pig that was a really good read! confirms a lot of things for me especially in regards to how the crd works and what some of the bigger brand name chips do.

the pre crd is a little more opened ended but. great to read about the "advance slide'' didn't know they could be adjusted on the fuel pumps on the fly

DieselTuner have you done much research into what chip does what on the non crd engines? like which ones can look at 3D mapping or if anyone of them not only control the spill valve opening time but also the "advance slide" for injection timing?

i haven't had a chance to read to far into the responses to the article so if these questions have been answered there, my apologies. if i get a chance tonight i'll read through it some more. i think this article would be awesome to have as a sticky somewhere on here.

cheers gents,
Cameron.

thanks rum pig that was a really good read! confirms a lot of things for me especially in regards to how the crd works and what some of the bigger brand name chips do.

the pre crd is a little more opened ended but. great to read about the "advance slide'' didn't know they could be adjusted on the fuel pumps on the fly

DieselTuner have you done much research into what chip does what on the non crd engines? like which ones can look at 3D mapping or if anyone of them not only control the spill valve opening time but also the "advance slide" for injection timing?

i haven't had a chance to read to far into the responses to the article so if these questions have been answered there, my apologies. if i get a chance tonight i'll read through it some more. i think this article would be awesome to have as a sticky somewhere on here.

cheers gents,
Cameron.

The unichip is the only one that does 3d mapping on DI or CRD.

It is also the only one that adjust the timing (advance slide) but it does it through manipulating the crank angle sensor signal.

Just think of Spill Valve DI = Pressure Sensor CRD.

Only difference is instead of a 0-5V Sensor for a CRD rail sensor, then Spill valve is a PWM or Frequency signal (on/off over time)

Nope, most modifications are done pre ecu.

Very few are done post ecu, With the exception of injector extension (like steinbauer/unichip or spill valve modification)

The idea is to lie to the stock ecu to get it to do what we want.

If we manipulate the signals on the way to what ever is being controlled, the sensors that check the operation of said parameters report back to the ecu telling it something is wrong and the ecu brings things back into specification.

This obviously doesnt apply for spill valve or injector extension as the ecu has no way of actually knowing weather these have been changed.

The unichip is the only one that does 3d mapping on DI or CRD.

It is also the only one that adjust the timing (advance slide) but it does it through manipulating the crank angle sensor signal.

Just think of Spill Valve DI = Pressure Sensor CRD.

Only difference is instead of a 0-5V Sensor for a CRD rail sensor, then Spill valve is a PWM or Frequency signal (on/off over time)

thanks D.Tuner that's good to know. at least there is a reason as to why this chip is worth more than the cheaper chips. it does more! which where i think the value really comes into it.

Thinking about selling my chip.

It's a chip-it/dp thingo.
9 settings, currently running. Just been dyno'd etc.

Want more fuel therefore going to upgrade to something programmable. PM me if interested

Hey fella's...I have just ordered a chip and am going to put an egt guage in...I was wondering if I take off the pipe that goes from near the turbo around the motor to the inlet manifold(I think it is no2 in the egr blocking thread),block both holes up and tap a thread into the blocking plate near the turbo,is this spot ok for my egt sensor????

Cheers...Sparra

How hard is it to remove the egr pipe from the exhaust manifold and what is involved? is it a big job?

Hey fella's...I have just ordered a chip and am going to put an egt guage in...I was wondering if I take off the pipe that goes from near the turbo around the motor to the inlet manifold(I think it is no2 in the egr blocking thread),block both holes up and tap a thread into the blocking plate near the turbo,is this spot ok for my egt sensor????

Cheers...Sparra

Hi Ian

My egt probe is in the exhaust manifold before the turbo.I removed the manifold then drilled and tapped to suit the 1/8 bspt probe fitting.If you have fitted a new dump pipe it my have a spigot to suit the probe
This is the place I got my egt gauge from.
http://www.thermoguard.com.au/
Lots of info as to where to place egt probe

Shane

Thanks for the reply's..That's where it will go...Is it nessecary to block off the other end once the egr pipe is off as I have already blanked off the inlet manifold at the top...

Cheers...Sparra

Back