Bigbore 3inch d22 exhaust

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my D40 have done 3" zoorst including dump pipe, chip, already have a reasonable intercooler. Results = very little improvement on bottom end power & turbo lag. Overall pretty disappointed, Guy's with the 3 liter seem to be having better results.

did you do the chip first?

you only gain what your loosing. if you were not loosing much then you won't gain much. a good example is the 2.8 patrol, it has the same exhaust as the 4.2 patrol. so there is very little gain in putting big exhaust on.
D22 ZD30 has horrible exhaust (very narrow neck into rear muffler) and also ZD30 is normal turbo while D40's YD25 has variable turbo, so the ECU compensates for the exhaust.

did you do the chip first?

you only gain what your loosing. if you were not loosing much then you won't gain much. a good example is the 2.8 patrol, it has the same exhaust as the 4.2 patrol. so there is very little gain in putting big exhaust on.
D22 ZD30 has horrible exhaust (very narrow neck into rear muffler) and also ZD30 is normal turbo while D40's YD25 has variable turbo, so the ECU compensates for the exhaust.

I started with the muffler, then replaced the exhaust from dump pipe back, then the dump pipe, then the chip, then intercooler hard pipe upgrade. No significant improvement on any of the changes, maybe a dyno would show differences but that it would be minor as It still drives the same. So yes I agree, there doesn't seem to be alot of gains in the exhaust of a D40 other than lowering EGT. Or the ECU is too clever and keeps tuning it self to the same output power levels??? can of worms there I think.

you should have noticed big change with the chip !

if you had done chip first then exhaust i bet you would have noticed the difference.
mind you keeping EGT's down is very important on a chipped vehicle so its still worth doing.

G'Days lads. I have just had the following set up done to my 3.0L D22 - 2.5" mandrel bent stainless system with highflow cat, lukey muffler and most importantly a new dump pipe off the turbo. I am stoked with the result and smiled the whole way home from the exhaust shop. The turbo is now spooling far earlier which has almost eliminated the turbo lag completely, the thing feels like a different truck. I don't mind the way turbo whistles away now too. $1400 was the total bill from AAA Exhausts in Richmond Adelaide. Jim down there was brilliant. On dropping the Nav off I got a tour of the workshop and an explanation on everything that was being done and on pick up they left the Nav up on the hoist so they could show me their work. Highly recommended.

You should do the egr/butterfly mod as well benno .
I done the egr/butterfly mod first and noticed a differance sriaght away.
I then put a 2.75" beaudesert exhaust on and what a differance, I agree with you about the bad turbo lag it is now 90% gone.
It is like driving a different truck now, Best $1240 I ever spent.

06 3.0lt ZD30 STR

There is a recurring theme here in that the 3.0 definitely responds well.
I am interested to see feedback other than 08KINGCAB in regards to the 2.5.
Should see if I can get in touch with the fella that was having his done at the exhaust shop when I called in there and get his impression.

I don't know much about the egr/butterfly mod. I'll have to research it on this forum and look into it. I can see how improving performance could be addictive. The budget might cure that addiction however!

Okay Guys i am having a problem Choosing an Exhaust for my 06 STR 3.0ltr
i have got three quotes with a large variation.

1st quote was a my mechanic's which was for a tipan 3 inch Around the $1500 + fitting

2nd quote was for a $720 + $150 fitting for a 2.5 inch Mercury ( was told a 3 inch isn't worth the trouble as it makes them go backwards in performance)

3rd was for a 3inch cannot remember name but will find out this afternoon for $1000/ or $1100 fitted

Any help or option would be appreciated

Cheers

I agree with barna,

I would install the 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust on the 3ltr D22 Navara. The guy has been in the industry for many years and they also test all there exhausts for the best results instead of just going with what they 'think' could be the best size. In saying that, the 2.75" would be best suited to a Factory Engine; meaning that you dont have any major internal modifications to your motor it will offer you the best overall performance from you truck mate. I have the full 2.75" system from beauy exhausts where they replace the dumppipe off the rear housing of the turbo and replace the rest of the system with a straight through system and added a straight-through-muffler. But I have also driven a mates truck that had a 2.5", there was no major difference except I had more top end power out of my system.

I think that a 3" system would be a touch more laggy cause of the added diameter and would be alot more sluggy off the mark. You have to keep in
mind, sure the 3ltr patrols have 3" exhausts but they have a slightly different ZD30 motor to what is in the Navara which is why they get away with it added diameter.

It was a mod definitely worth doing but just make sure you know what you want to achieve when selecting the size.

-> Beaudesert Exhausts <-

Beauy Exhausts also post their ready-to-go Exhausts systems all around Australia. Which that should tell you enough that they sell enough of them to have them in stock ready to bolt-on.

I agree with barna,

I would install the 2.75" Beaudesert Exhaust on the 3ltr D22 Navara. The guy has been in the industry for many years and they also test all there exhausts for the best results instead of just going with what they 'think' could be the best size. In saying that, the 2.75" would be best suited to a Factory Engine; meaning that you dont have any major internal modifications to your motor it will offer you the best overall performance from you truck mate. I have the full 2.75" system from beauy exhausts where they replace the dumppipe off the rear housing of the turbo and replace the rest of the system with a straight through system and added a straight-through-muffler. But I have also driven a mates truck that had a 2.5", there was no major difference except I had more top end power out of my system.

I think that a 3" system would be a touch more laggy cause of the added diameter and would be alot more sluggy off the mark. You have to keep in
mind, sure the 3ltr patrols have 3" exhausts but they have a slightly different ZD30 motor to what is in the Navara which is why they get away with it added diameter.

It was a mod definitely worth doing but just make sure you know what you want to achieve when selecting the size.

-> Beaudesert Exhausts <-

Beauy Exhausts also post their ready-to-go Exhausts systems all around Australia. Which that should tell you enough that they sell enough of them to have them in stock ready to bolt-on.

Do you work for or know someone who works for Beaudesert exhausts? Sounds like it.

And the last bit about 3" being to laggy is quite wrong as the larger dia will actually have the opposite result (spool the turbo faster). But in saying that anything between 2.5 - 3" will be almost impossible to feel by the seat of your pants, it would only be picked up on a dyno.

Okay Guys i am having a problem Choosing an Exhaust for my 06 STR 3.0ltr
i have got three quotes with a large variation.

1st quote was a my mechanic's which was for a tipan 3 inch Around the $1500 + fitting

2nd quote was for a $720 + $150 fitting for a 2.5 inch Mercury ( was told a 3 inch isn't worth the trouble as it makes them go backwards in performance)

3rd was for a 3inch cannot remember name but will find out this afternoon for $1000/ or $1100 fitted

Any help or option would be appreciated

Cheers

All depends on how much you want to spend. The prices will pretty much determine the quality of the exhaust. As long as the exhaust is mandrel bent and comes with a new dump pipe i'd go either the 2.5 or 3" depending on your budget.

If you plan on adding a chip, then go with the 3"

If the exhaust is all you plan to do then the 2.5" will be fine, as long as its mandrel bent and comes with a dump pipe.

This topic has been covered ALOT of times, SEARCH first, then ask questions

Last edited:
3' exhaust, turbo back incl, dump pipe, stainless steel cat, no mufflers straight through exhaust. Sounds unreal... heaps better performance.. 05 d22.. well under 1k fitted.

Exotic Exhaust - Sumner Park...

Just need to find a guide to do the egr/butterfly mod now...
Same here,3 inch dump, from turbo and hi flow sss cat,and 3 inch no mufflers,:rock: fitted for $900..
sounds unreal...

Latest posts

Back