Bilsteins or old man emu

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janssen83

Reaction score
Can't make the choice on a two inch lift I have narrowed it down to old man emu or bilsteins they seem to be about the same price. Old man emu is a little cheaper, not that it matters . What would u pick and why ? It would be going a a nissan d22 2010 with a long range tank and arb canopy and arb delux roof rack so there will be a little bit of wight to it

Last edited:
What they all said.

My Bilstiens have over 200,000km's on them and still work perfect.

As much as I've had no issue with OME stuff, I'll remind you that their front shocks don't go to 2". 30-35mm max.

As much as I've had no issue with OME stuff, I'll remind you that their front shocks don't go to 2". 30-35mm max.

That's bull. If your hittin the bottom of your shock body BEFORE the control arms hit their bump stops, then they gave you the wrong shocks, simple as that.

Upgrading the shock or getting a 2" lift does NOT affect the total range of travel that your vehicle has (not in an IFS vehicle anyway), all they do is wind up the front end to make the vehicle sit higher.

That's bull. If your hittin the bottom of your shock body BEFORE the control arms hit their bump stops, then they gave you the wrong shocks, simple as that.

Upgrading the shock or getting a 2" lift does NOT affect the total range of travel that your vehicle has (not in an IFS vehicle anyway), all they do is wind up the front end to make the vehicle sit higher.

I agree the front struts are same length as original! Only springs are stiffer so the front end sits higher and strut works from top end of shaft rather than middle or bottom

Pretty sure its monroe atm just so they can say Australian made...

pretty sure their springs come out of China now as well.

I believe Monroe products are manufactured by Teneco (USA) and actually produced in Mexico, this was the case for the steering damper I replaced on my 4runner a few years ago.

If your hittin the bottom of your shock body BEFORE the control arms hit their bump stops, then they gave you the wrong shocks, simple as that.

In my case in , as per my other big thread, then no, they didn't give me a wrong shock. They just gave me the only one, that OME has available for a D22. Yes, its the wrong shock for a 2" lift as it does not let you gain full 2" without the danger of ripping the shocks out next time your whole front end down travels. Considering this, if you DO get a OME lift installed at ARB like I did, then they will not wind up your front end to full 2". That's all I was trying to say.

And I didn't understand that very last comment you said. Are you saying that lifting a D22, does not make you lose down travel ? If that's what you were referring to, you may want to re-think that.

I was going to go bilsteins but chose ranchos as it just make sense to me owning a single cab.

the difference in weight distribution is massive, it just seemed logical to have tunable shocks for ute, happy with my decision.

but as everyone else said, if you set on either ome or bilsteins, go bilsteins.

I was going to go bilsteins but chose ranchos as it just make sense to me owning a single cab.

the difference in weight distribution is massive, it just seemed logical to have tunable shocks for ute, happy with my decision.

but as everyone else said, if you set on either ome or bilsteins, go bilsteins.

Thats the ones I have at the moment for the front. The 5000 XL's adjustable. They're not on the car yet, as i've hardly had time to breathe due to work and a newborn. Looking forward to putting them in and see how they go. The OME that are on at the moment are completely rooted.

Do you mean the RS9000XL's?
rs5000 as far as im aware are not adjustable,
haha and yes the "to do" list can certainly stretch out.

Do you mean the RS9000XL's?
rs5000 as far as im aware are not adjustable,
haha and yes the "to do" list can certainly stretch out.

Sorry my bad, they are the rs9000 xls, not 5000s. They were $399 for front pair.
And yeh, my to do list on the car is on hold for the moment. Hopefully not for too long lol.

you will like the ranchos, i run them on 8 out of 9 around town up front
im running brush bars, winch bar (no winch) and 3 in the rear with steel tray and canopy.

I understand keeping buisness in australia but you could have got all 4 shocks (2 inch raised in the rear for 430 posted from the states.

Latest posts

Back