Bird Aviaries - Breeding / An Un-Auto Related Topic

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day All,
Just seeing if anyone on here is into birds at all (the feathered variety), has an aviary or breeds anything (apart from your partner)? Have had a small aviary myself for a while now but in the middle of building a large one to house my Gouldian Finches, have some budgies in a seperate cage/aviary also.
Cheers Matt

I would'nt describe myself as into it. but I bought my 6 yf old a couple of zebra finches, they keep laying eggs, but there is nothing in the egg.

I've heard Zebra finches are one of the easiest breeds to get babies from, they just might not be fertile or sitting on them to hatch....I am only really starting to get a bit more into it now as took over my uncles whole Gouldian collection, so worth a few dollars. Currently have 21 of them, various types, Yellow Backs, White Breasted, Red/Black Heads & Normals.
Do you have them in a small budgie type cage or something a little bigger, nesting box in there?

Had a canary once, whistled non stop until the first summer, turned the A/C on and froze the poor bugger to death.

How long have you had the Gouldians for? They dont like the cold too much,Make sure you provide plenty of shelter for them in they're new aviary mate

they have a big cage prob 600x300x450. we had nesting box, but after 6 unsuccessful eggs we took it out in an attempt to stop the breeding and to rest the hen. but in the last week shes laid 4 eggs in the food bowl!
21 birds they must make a racket? do you keep 'em out side?

Heata - Yeah all outside, nah the Gouldian's don't really make any noise at all.
Cougars - Had them about 6 months now, the current small aviary I had to put perspex across the top 1/3 of aviary to stop the wind getting in and to give them a bit more shelter, other 3 sides fully enclosed just the mesh front, north facing. New aviary will be pretty big, 4.5m x 3.4m x 2.2m with a fully enclosed area for nesting/shelter with zinc & laserlite roofing. Pics to follow of current build & some of my Gouldians.

matt-vnet-pro-albums-randoms-matt-picture721-finch-aviary-framing-stage.jpg

matt-vnet-pro-albums-randoms-matt-picture722-finches-temporary-home.jpg

matt-vnet-pro-albums-randoms-matt-picture723-some-young-normals-yellow-backs-some-2-year-old-cocks.jpg

Last edited:
Matt, I breed Australian and Exotic parrots. I have quite a few birds. In the middle of building another 13 aviaries now.

Shaun

Good looking so far,Great idea with the shelter and laserlite,Nice finches also

I am on two and a half acres. I dont have any finches at the moment, but have been thinking about building a big aviairy and filling it with different finches, doves, quail etc. Finches are great, I just have trouble keeping them alive with all the wildlife that gets around here at night.

Nice looking aviary to. Ill post a couple up if I can. They were taken during construction

Shaun

Awesome setup, very neat. I am in surburbia and even we have fox and wildlife problems here, as have poultry aswell. Cant imagine what you would have to deal with, would love some land.....one day. Only on a 1000sqm block here in Geelong, Vic. Guessing your winters wouldnt be as cold as down here, should do alright with the Finches in a snake/rodent proof aviary.

im shit scared of birds (the flying 1's).......................................... im glad u got them locked up

Nice set up Shaun. I used to keep Eccies also.What else do you keep? Looks like Amazons also.

I have (or should i say, my missus has) a green budgie that masturbates all day. had him for about 8 years and he has been flogging himself constantly since then. pretty embarrising when people come over, some like it some dont. i'm one of the dont's. if anyone has a remedy i'd be keen to hear it. tried to put that perch paper on his perches but they ended up bloody. little bugger sure does like it.

Latest posts

Back