Bit of a facelift for the D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustPez

Reaction score
Just finished a few days of work on the car, 3" Straight Through exhaust now on along with some projector headlights, billet grill and powdercoated black rims with 265/75 ATZ 4-Ribs. Likin the way it stands now and the front looks awesome in the dark. :happy:

Attachments

• 20130523_152718.jpg
    20130523_152718.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 16,513
  • 20130523_140040.jpg
    20130523_140040.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 305
  • 20130523_142204[1].jpg
    20130523_142204[1].jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 336
Just finished a few days of work on the car, 3" Straight Through exhaust now on along with some projector headlights, billet grill and powdercoated black rims with 265/75 ATZ 4-Ribs. Likin the way it stands now and the front looks awesome in the dark. :happy:

Looks good man

looks good mate I like the white and black theme, but i could be a little bias lol

whats happend to your inner guard?

And have you had a chance to test the new lights out yet? also can i ask what you paid for those little beauties?
I have been thinking about getting those, but my cousin bought a set for his Hilux and said they didnt light up that well.

Hadn't gotten round to puttin the guards back in when I took the photo plus found abit of gunk in there so I gave it a good clean.

I'll head out n take a pic for ya of the lights in a few minutes just went for a drive and they are clearer than my stocks. There was a dark spot in the middle but that'll be cause I haven't aimed em yet.

Edit. Here's the pics pretty poor quality but you can see how clear the light is. It set me back roughly $500 I think but I upgraded to HID while I was at it, although illegal I figure because the lights are converted to projector lights and I've aimed them properly there shouldn't be many problems. But we shall see next RBT I go through.

Attachments

• 20130523_191043[1].jpg
    20130523_191043[1].jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 20130523_190815[1].jpg
    20130523_190815[1].jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20130523_190948[1].jpg
    20130523_190948[1].jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Awesome, ive been thinking about those lights for ages. How easy were they to put in and hook up?? Is the wiring plug n play?

Nice looking Truck all round mate, are you thinking of any front end protection??

Haha putting them in was a pretty shite job mainly because to access the headlights you have to remove the entire front-end. If you are just putting the lights in then yes they are pretty much plug and play. Only thing that needs wiring is the CCFL rings around the lights which is easily done by stripping a little bit of wire off the parking light wires and hooking the CCFL's to them.
However if you upgrade to HID's while your at it then it is abit of a pain. I always like to keep my original wiring in place without cutting so it involved a little bit more work and getting the seals back on was annoying. But really would only take you an hour or so to do.

Was thinking a front bar but we shall see when I get some more money together, I think an intercooler upgrade is next on my list though.

Edit.
One thing I did notice with the lights is they are meant to be designed for HID's being projectors but in the bulb slot there is a little tab sticking out that stops the HID fitting. To get em in all I did was file a 1mm slot into the HID plastic so it fit in, wasn't a problem I just found it strange that they would miss something like that.

Last edited:
Oh ok, yeah was gonna go HID but dint think i will as i dont drive that much at night. I might just get some decent globes and see how that goes for now. I was really mainly concerned about the fittment and hooking up as i have heard they are a bi*ch to do. MAybe the HID conversion was part of the reason aswell.

Thanks for the info. Again truck looks good.

looks good mate I like the white and black theme, but i could be a little bias lol

whats happend to your inner guard?

And have you had a chance to test the new lights out yet? also can i ask what you paid for those little beauties?
I have been thinking about getting those, but my cousin bought a set for his Hilux and said they didnt light up that well.
That would be because he bought the Chinese rubbish that are only halogen projectors with cheap HID bulbs in them. There not even designed for RHD cars so they can never be adjusted correctly either. After 6 months there even worst.

There is a big difference between those lights and a proper HID projector set up. Speak to the guys who have real HID projector set ups and you will get a different response.:cheers!:

Cheers Mick

Haha putting them in was a pretty shite job mainly because to access the headlights you have to remove the entire front-end. If you are just putting the lights in then yes they are pretty much plug and play. Only thing that needs wiring is the CCFL rings around the lights which is easily done by stripping a little bit of wire off the parking light wires and hooking the CCFL's to them.
However if you upgrade to HID's while your at it then it is abit of a pain. I always like to keep my original wiring in place without cutting so it involved a little bit more work and getting the seals back on was annoying. But really would only take you an hour or so to do.

Was thinking a front bar but we shall see when I get some more money together, I think an intercooler upgrade is next on my list though.

Edit.
One thing I did notice with the lights is they are meant to be designed for HID's being projectors but in the bulb slot there is a little tab sticking out that stops the HID fitting. To get em in all I did was file a 1mm slot into the HID plastic so it fit in, wasn't a problem I just found it strange that they would miss something like that.
The tab is there to stop you putting HIDs in them as there Halogen projectors and not designed for HID. In about 6 months time your reflector bowl coating will be sitting in the bottom of the light and your lights will have next to no output at all.

You need HID projectors to fit HIDs. Half of my business is removing Halogen projectors from OEM lights and replacing them with HID projectors. A HID projector has a lot bigger bowl and reflects the light differently.

Cheers Mick

I mainly got the projector headlights for the look over OEM headlights but if thats the case Mick I might look into swapping out the projectors in it for higher qual ones if they start decreasing in performance. Even being cheap chinese they are a big step-up from stock and they are designed for LHD now as they do have a cutoff shield for the drivers side light to stop it blinding oncoming traffic. The HID kit I received also looks identical to the one you've got in the forum linked, good price on your kit too if i'd seen it sooner I would have considered it over ebay as I like the personal touch on these forums.

I can replace factory Halogen projectors with HID projectors but not those. What I do with people who have fitted these lights is retrofit there factory OEM lights as those lights you have are full off cheap parts that can break such as the CCFLs and leds in the front. They also take up the room needed to fit proper projectors. No offence to your lights but I can buy them from China for about $40 each so there not built to last. Most people are generally happy with them for about 6 to 12 months before they start to fail. It's usually the output that starts to let people down (chrome flaking off bowls) they don't fall apart or anything like that.

LHD means driver sits in left seat. We require RHD in Australia and Europe as we drive from the right side of the car. The projector should look like the pic below.

scaredofthedark005.jpg

What HID kit did you fit and are they D2S bulbs? I've never seen genuine Hylux Tech or CN Light bulbs on ebay as a kit that's all.

Have you got a link?

Cheers Mick

Yea sorry thats what I meant they do look like that, flat on the right hand side with a slight flare upwards in the beam on the lefthand side I assume to illuminate more of the side of the road? I don't think they were Hylux Tech or CN Light bulbs so perhaps they were just made to look similar. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130489867728?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 they were the guys I bought off i'll keep an eye on the quality down the road.

He claims to sell genuine Philips D2S bulbs in 4300K, 6000K, 8000K and 10,000K. Anyone who knows a little about the automotive lighting industry knows Philips don't actually make any of those colours and never have. They make a 4150K and 5000K and that is all. They do make a 6700K bulb which is available in Japan only which retails for about $400 a pair and a really hard to get. Those colours he has listed are all Chinese copies not genuine Philips. I bet they don't come in a genuine Philips box with the Hologram on the front either. His default colour is 6000K as it's the cheapest colour bulb to buy out of China. lol

The reason he doesn't sell 5000K in Philips is the bulbs have red salts so there easy to pick as fakes. Funny how he doesn't sell that colour. lol

They defiantly look like Hylux Tech ballasts just with his stickers on them. They are great ballasts and very reliable if they are. I have to really wonder if they are though after catching him out so easily with those bulbs.

That cut off your referring to is RHD then for our roads by the sounds of it.

Cheers Mick

Latest posts

Back