Bit of oil on diff...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobez

Reaction score
Was just under the car and noticed a bit of moisture around the diff where the shaft bolts up.

Serviced it about four weeks ago. Does anyone know if this is a seal leak or maybe just from overfilling the diff a bit? It's not dripping or leaving puddles. Yet....

Attachments

• image-973645257.jpg
    image-973645257.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 136
My manual shows that it comes out the front,at best it's just the seal,at worst a uni joint(any vibrations?) at the very worst bearings or shaft(any whine?).

Super gay. Do ya reckon that's a diff pull apart job or can you do the seal by unbolting the shaft and get to it from there?

Yeh basically remove the shaft, there is a bolt on the inside 30mm I do believe.. You take that off only with a air gun because its really on there! Then you have access to get the seal out.. I think it's the same application as the front shaft when I did the seal on the transfer case the other week..

My manual shows that it comes out the front,at best it's just the seal,at worst a uni joint(any vibrations?) at the very worst bearings or shaft(any whine?).

Easy to find out if the unis have play.. Grab the tail shaft and try to move it up and down then side to side.. Look and feel for play in the joints.. If you have any play at all I recommend you replace them before you can cause damage! But yeh if there is no play then your good.. I still think its just the seal mate..

This is the genuine code for the seal that i replaced at my transfer case (ver common replacement) for anyone that wants to know its 33216-7S110 might be the same as the rear seals but I would double check first!

Last edited:
Awesome thanks for the speedy replies fellas! No freeplay in the shaft at all thank ****. Come to think of it, i might have some new uni's thrown in when i get the seal done

Awesome thanks for the speedy replies fellas! No freeplay in the shaft at all thank ****. Come to think of it, i might have some new uni's thrown in when i get the seal done

Nice, if there is no play then don't change them.. It will cost you about 80 bux each for quality ones plus the fk around to remove and fit them.. Don't bother with it man if there good.. Take my advice on that one.

Pinion seal is pretty common and easy fix, although I'm lazy and had mine fixed under warranty. Looks just to be the seal.

Hey Cobez, check that your diff breather isn't blocked. I have found that mine blocks up sometimes when 4WDing and the tell tale is the pinion seal sweats. The top of the breather should be loose. If it's tight, just twist it a few times to loosen it up. I am about to fit extended breathers to stop this happening.
Hope this helps.

The seals are only $20 from nissan if its the same as the transfer seal... its got 3 sealing faces so genuine only.... easy replace.. i made up a peice of steel with 2 holes matching the flange to hold it so i could un do the center bolt with the wheels off the ground

Another common problem in the d40s is excessive back lash causing the diff pinion seal to leak, worn gears or bearing allow pinion to move execesivly causing the seal to leak, seen it quite a few times. Best off getting your local mechanic to check it. Also if you don't correctly tension up the pinion you can damage to diff gears or bearing.

i had my pinion seal done last year by nissan($180), only because of the possible backlash issue, otherwise i would have done it myself. while it never dripped, i couldn't cope with the gear oil smell when it warmed up

be careful if you attempt the pinion seal yourself, if you over/under tension the flange nut, you will cause either excessive preload or crush the collapsible spacer (too tight) or allow excessive play between crown wheel and pinion ( too loose).
Mark the thread on the pinion with a centre pinch before removal, then retighten to that point only

Latest posts

Back