blowing black smoke ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
guys ,my new 2013 str with only 1,300 klms on the clock seems to blow some black smoke when i put my foot down abit more than normal. is this normal for the deisel engine and or should i fit the egr block off plate i bought ready to fit whenever ? thanks.

You don't "need" to reset the ecu, it just adapts to not having the exhaust gas from the egr system fed back in quicker... They "learn" by themselves over time, but if you reset it to base settings then it "learns" quicker...
Does that make sense..?

When I did mine, I didn't bother resetting it, but you really probably should disconnect the battery while fitting the plate, which will reset it anyway..i have one of the ones that goes on the valve end to fit this weekend, which also removes the feed pipe that sits inside the intake manifold, so we'll see how it goes after that... I should add, I have blanked the actual egr cooling tube off at both ends, so this will be a 3rd block...

Last edited:
You don't "need" to reset the ecu, it just adapts to not having the exhaust gas from the egr system fed back in quicker... They "learn" by themselves over time, but if you reset it to base settings then it "learns" quicker...
Does that make sense..?

When I did mine, I didn't bother resetting it, but you really probably should disconnect the battery while fitting the plate, which will reset it anyway..i have one of the ones that goes on the valve end to fit this weekend, which also removes the feed pipe that sits inside the intake manifold, so we'll see how it goes after that... I should add, I have blanked the actual egr cooling tube off at both ends, so this will be a 3rd block...

Agreed. By blocking the pipe you are slightly changing the operating conditions of the engine. A reset just helps it adjust to those new conditions quicker.

And i just realised that the guy who started the thread has an str, and the link i posted is for a d40. So get the engine and gearbox up to operating temp, disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, turn the headlights on for 10 mins to get rid of any residual charge, and then go for a 20 km drive.

Latest posts

Back