Blown engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noodle

Reaction score
I have blown the engine on my 03 D22 zd30 .
The first mechnic who my family uses has quoted me a ridiculous amount for labour and im pretty sure for parts too ..
I think going off what he has said it will be easier to stick a whole new motor in ..
But the question i have is how far gone do they have to be to just rebuild them ?
Because this guy seems pretty keen to throw a new motor in .

I live in west melbourne if there is anyone who knows a good mechanic who i can actually get an honest opinion out of would be great .
also if anyone has had a blown engine replaced , any help with were they got a new motor from ect would be great ..

Im a uni student so this is a real kick in the guts . plus its my daily drive :(

cheers
Aaron

Every now and then dealers advertise new engines on ebay for around $5500 which is probably cheaper than a rebuild at the end of the day. Having yours rebuilt, there's always the chance it could go bang again if the mechanic incorrectly diagnosed why it died the first place. Rebuilt fuel pumps alone can be $3000.

Last edited:
I have blown the engine on my 03 D22 zd30 .
The first mechnic who my family uses has quoted me a ridiculous amount for labour and im pretty sure for parts too ..
I think going off what he has said it will be easier to stick a whole new motor in ..
But the question i have is how far gone do they have to be to just rebuild them ?
Because this guy seems pretty keen to throw a new motor in .

I live in west melbourne if there is anyone who knows a good mechanic who i can actually get an honest opinion out of would be great .
also if anyone has had a blown engine replaced , any help with were they got a new motor from ect would be great ..

Im a uni student so this is a real kick in the guts . plus its my daily drive :(

cheers
Aaron

Sorry to hear of the issues with your engine. As tweake said, can you give us an idea of what happened etc?

Check out the Victorian section of the forums there is a sticky thread with recommendations for good mechanics (might want to skip to the end and work backwards to get the most recent recommendations).

I'm in Melbourne (sunbury) I'm by no means a mechanics or expert but if you ever want a second personal opinion (as you mentioned you feel the mechanic could be taking the mickey) I'm happy to help where I can.

Best of luck with it mate, hoping for a good outcome for you.

-Scott

It must be one of the worst things about owning an older 4x4, theirs always a chance of being in for a repair bill thats more than the car is worth. In your position I would probably drop a new motor in, less chance of a mechanic getting anything wrong. good luck.

It must be one of the worst things about owning an older 4x4, theirs always a chance of being in for a repair bill thats more than the car is worth.
thats always the case.
but its the middle of the road priced ones that hurt the most. at least with cheap ones it can go straight to the scrap yard.

just the common rail fuel injection system is worth more than what my work ute is worth.

Thanks for the replys guys . and ye mine has way to many goodies and is in too good nick to just get a new one unfortunatly

So it turns out the family mechanic weve gone to for years was trying to rip me off in a big way , an didnt barely even lift the hood as they were very busy .
But got the car into an honest mechanic eventually and its blown a hole in a piston and the engine is well rooted .
but every cloud has a silver lineing i guess .
It seemed like i had everyone i knew asking around for someone who could help me out without it costing me and arm an a leg .
An weve found a mechanic who had a low km later model zd30 sitting there that he will install , including swapping over all the extra goodies i had on mine for under 4 grand ..
Which is amazing compared to everything else i got quoted .

Shows there's still good people out there when someone is willing to help a complete stranger out , when they are genuinely in a tight spot :)

Glad to hear you've found a decent bloke who doesn't want one of your kidneys as part payment. Some mechanics are just arseholes, especially when they've got your trust and think they can abuse it

Back