Blown turbo!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i purchased a brand new hitachi turbocharger for $700 and havent had an issue but after reading this thread im stressed im gona buy a garrett now

Don't be stressed too much, put an intercooler in there and add an EGT gauge. Don't shut the engine down until the exhaust manifold is cool enough (<200C).

The intercooler will give you a little bit more horsepower (not a huge amount, and it works better on cool days than hot ones) but it will catch ALL of the bits if the turbo lets go.

And Garretts can let go just as easily as Hitachi - what breaks is the bearings, and it's more to do with how much heat is soaking through them burning the oil up after the engine is stopped, than with the manufacture of the turbocharger.

sad to hear man, but we have just had the same thing happen to us. If there is any scoring on the piston best off replacing because apparently having a ceramic coating on top of them stops them from buring thru. so i have now been told. After replacing turbo, fixing head and a few other bits and pieces the motor went 5000km later. with the bill now up to $10000 after replacing motor with second hand one done 50,000km. runs better but not looking forward to the future :(

gee thats a huge bill why did your motor blow a second time was it over fueling or have crook injectors i didnt think pistons would burn up that easy.

Latest posts

Back