"BOBYS" – D21 King Cab 4x4 VG33E Buildlog

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dion

Reaction score
For about the last nine months not much has happened on my QD32 D21 – the reason is this project: a tidy 1989 D21 Navara King Cab 4x4, with a worn out Z24. This vehicle belongs to a friend of mine named Steve – the user ‘bobys’ on this forum. For Steve, this King Cab – Bobys as it is known – is something of a family heirloom, so when the Z24 got just a bit too wheezy, the thought of retiring the old girl didn’t fly – a better solution that meant that the sentimental value in Bobys could be maintained, was a new motor. Initially a rebuilt Z24 was the plan, but I was keen to push for something a bit different. Forum regulars will be familiar with scottybobcat’s V8 Navara – the VG33E that came out of Scotty’s Navara to make way for the V8 was at the time for sale. Steve and I nutted out a plan to fit this V6 to his D21.

D21s don’t come with 4x4 and a V6, the only source for this motor with the correct sump and transfer is the D22, and nowhere near as many V6s sold as those ubiquitous ZD30s. The concept behind this project is to do everything to a high standard, but for as close as we can get to bottom dollar. Less money equals more man-hours, but what’s the fun in just throwing money at a problem?

The first challenge was to tear out the Z24 and gearbox. This isn’t very exciting, just a lot of spanner twirling. Photos from this time in the project are on a hard-drive that had a head-crash, so I might be able to add them later if I get the drive rescued.

Motor mounts were sourced from wreckers, and the VG33E dropped into the engine bay. There is no ideal solution for a radiator cowling that fits the VG’s fan, so we’re going without it to see if it poses an issue.

The next challenge was the transfer case – the one we needed lives under Scotty’s Navara, so we had to source a different one. Despite being mostly identical, the difference between the transfer for the V6 and the transfer for the four-pot, is the diameter and spline-count of the input shaft. The 4cyl counts something like 24 splines, whilst the V6 is 30 (don’t quote me on the numbers, but they are easily differentiated when compared). I shook the contacts tree and managed to pick one up for a gentle price from a friend of mine. It was out of an R50, and bolted right up. However, neither the gearbox nor transfer had come with a complete shift lever, or lever guide. The lever required that I modify parts from the new transfer and a spare shift lever I had to make a transfer shifter that worked. I drilled out the new transfer’s droplink rose-joint to a standard bolt size and made some grease boots.[FONT=&quot]

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

[/FONT] The linkage arc lengths are totally different between the original transfer linkage (which was well and truly corrosion-welded to the original transfer) and the one that happened to come attached to the new transfer. To get the guide which locks the stick into high or low range to function correctly, I had to make some adjustments to it...

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_00171.JPG

Last edited:
DSC_00211.JPG

DSC_0022.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

With it now the correct shape, it was then painted in a heat-proof black.
As part of the swap, rather than buy a normal D22 V6 airbox (these are tiny), we got the airbox from an RD28Ti GQ Patrol (I don’t see many RD28 GQs around...?) very cheap and decided to cram that in instead. As V6 owners will testify, the VG doesn’t leave a lot of room for an 80 series airbox. Take a look at raywise’s install of the 80 series airbox in his V6 to see the lengths you have to go to. So, because the VG33E has a MAF flange at the airbox interface, to use the Patrol diesel airbox I had to make up a MAF adapter. You can’t buy these in the right tube size to suit the Patrol airbox. Cutting the MAF flange –

DSC_0078.JPG

I didn’t have any pipe in the right diameter, so I rolled some sheet up by hand (I don’t have a roller):

DSC_0079.JPG

I don’t own a jigsaw, holesaw, oxy torch or plasma torch so I had to get real creative with the angle grinder to make the big hole in the plate:

DSC_0080.JPG

Then to welding it up:

DSC_0081.JPG

I combined it all with a silicone 120 degree bend to test fit it in:[FONT=&quot]

DSC_0082.JPG

[/FONT]

Then to come up with a bracket arrangement to constrain the weight of the airbox, plus the evaporative canister, which is mounted to the airbox, and using the existing weldnuts in the body. All the brackets are vice-folded, I don’t have anything more fancy.

DSC_0086.JPG

DSC_0087.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

These parts were all then painted again in heat-proof flat black.

Being a carby-to-EFI conversion, the fuel system needed to be supplemented with a surge tank and injection pump. eBay Bosch 044 clone for the fuel pump, with alloy fittings for 5/16”/8mm fuel hose. The surge tank is from eBay, there is a guy up in QLD who welds up aluminium surge tanks to order and the quality is very good for the price - I custom ordered one 4x 8mm fittings. The fuel setup is standard fare for EFI conversions – a dual loop system. In-tank standard lift pump fills surge tank at mid-level; overflow from top of surge tank returns to fuel tank; high-pressure pump is fed by bottom of surge tank, fuel rail overflow returns to mid-level of surge tank. This keeps the 1L surge tank full at all times except when the engine is consuming more than the in-tank pump can flow, and even in this state, there is a litre of fuel buffer available to sustain such an inequality. To minimise the length of high-pressure fuel line, the surge tank and fuel pump are mounted in the engine bay.

DSC_0094.JPG

Last edited:
Below is some metalwork after painting and baking for 45 minutes at 100 degrees celcius. The two large brackets on the right mount the fuel pump and surge tank, and reinforce the Nissan bracket for the power steering reservoir, which is made to fit the D22 guard, but in the D21 tries to bolt to fresh air. Weldnuts on the brackets make installation possible where space is tight.

DSC_0100.JPG

In the D22 there is a hole in the firewall dedicated to the engine control wiring harness. There is no such hole in the D21, so I made one next to the air conditioning holes with a borrowed holesaw.

DSC_0104.JPG

The edge of the hole is of course painted to stop rust.

You can just see the throttle cable in the above picture. The Z24 cable is much too short so I tried out Jolly's U-Pullit in Dandenong for the first time and got the cable from a D21 4x2 VG30E really cheap - it fits up just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest everybody. Credit due to Steve too for his patience with the project.

great job so far Dion,what you are/have done is amazing. Old Bobys will be able to go up hills soon and even tow a trailer. lol.
My old man would be so proud to see his Navara with its heart transplant.
cheers Steve

Like I asked once before Dion.. Is their anything that you cant do ?.

Top effort and keep the reports coming.

I am getting a nice new black tarp for the Alum tray made up soon to match the new black bullbar.
Also, when the new dash goes in, I have booked her in to get both the seats reupholstered along with the door trims. should look AND go nice when finished. :)

Like I asked once before Dion.. Is their anything that you cant do ?.

Top effort and keep the reports coming.
When it comes to D21's, I dont think there is much that Dion does'nt know. mind blowing really.
On top of the Tarp,bullbar,seats and door trims. I have a new 80 chanell UHF to put in

The blue machine is going ok mate. It is sitting at home ATM as I bought another car as a run about. I also have the cops looking at it. I will make sure it is road worthy before I take it for another spin around town.

Keen to see some pics when you get a chance.

We will get some more pics soon Dave. Dion is playin rnd with interfacing the later model dash cluster ATM. Motor gearbox transfer is all in. And I have put a 2.5 inch custom twin, that exits behind the door on the LHS. Shouldn't be long now before ignition :)

Latest posts

Back