Boost issues.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skotie

Reaction score
G'day everyone. So my 2011 thai manual is having some boist issues. It will sometimes get up too 18psi. But it qill only hold it for about 20sec then drop back to 8psi and randomly attempt to hit 18 again. The car has 290,000km on it. In the last year I've done head, timing chain, injectors, scv, boost solenoid, clutch, vacuum lines. Have recently done the air and fuel filters, cleaned the maf and reset the ecu to try and rectify this boost. I will upload a chart video of my foot flag in 6th gear and the boost drops off near the end. Also have an I drive that is turned off.

Attachments

• 20230420_064310.mp4
    39.9 MB
It sounds like a pop/bang at about the 15 second mark, immediately followed by the boost dropping by about 10psi. Was that a pothole or part of the problem?

Do any of the boost hoses have oily emissions from them anywhere at all? I'm not just thinking in joints, but possible cracks in the side too.

It sounds like a pop/bang at about the 15 second mark, immediately followed by the boost dropping by about 10psi. Was that a pothole or part of the problem?

Do any of the boost hoses have oily emissions from them anywhere at all? I'm not just thinking in joints, but possible cracks in the side too.
I think it was just a pothole. It doesn't make any pop sounds when it happens. There has been some oil around the hot and cold pipe joiners but I have re tensioned them and they have been staying clean lately. This morning on the way too work. It was boosting nicely all morning. I didn't hold my foot flat at any point as I was happy with the way it was going.

I think it was just a pothole. It doesn't make any pop sounds when it happens. There has been some oil around the hot and cold pipe joiners but I have re tensioned them and they have been staying clean lately. This morning on the way too work. It was boosting nicely all morning. I didn't hold my foot flat at any point as I was happy with the way it was going.

I think it might be a good idea to give the turbocharger a quick look. Remove the intake hose from the front of it, and (you might need a plastic rod or something to reach it unless you've got exceptionally long fingers) give the impeller a turn and try to move it from side to side. Movement should be smooth, and there should be no wobble in the shaft.

If there is unwanted movement (grindy/sandy feel to rotation, or the shaft wiggles) there's turbo damage.

If there's not any obvious movement, you might want to pop the charge air hose off the outlet of the turbo (the big hose that heads from the baffle towards the intercooler is good enough). Wipe a (clean) finger on the inside of this - you SHOULD get black oil on your finger. Now examine your finger under a bright light - if you see sparkles, your turbocharger impeller is rubbing on the housing (silver sparkles) or the bearings are worn (gold sparkles). If it's just gold sparkles you can get a rebuild kit and that should see the turbo good for a considerable time. If you see silver, you're better off replacing the turbo, because either the impeller or its housing have been worn away.

Bit of an update. I removed all the exhaust and put on a 3onch straight through whilst I was there. I wanted to check/gut the cat anyway. Sprayed a heap of oven cleaner in the turbo (exhaust side only) cleaned the maf and reset the ecu and she's running like a charm now holding boost at all rpm. If it starts to happen again I'll remove the turbo and remove all the vnt and give it a proper clean. There was no metal in the oil from the turbo. I've owned the car since new and the turbo will def be next to replace.

Bit of an update. My economy had increased from 500km to 600km to a tank. It still lags a little on take off but had improved in the top rpm range. The 2nd hand turbo I purchased apparently can't be rebuilt due to parts so they did me a massive solid and gave me a brand new garrett for a really good price. So hopefully I'll get that fitted this weekend.

I also have a 2011 thai manual that is doing almost word for word what yours is. Boosts to 20 and drops rapidly to 15 or sometimes 10, slowly builds back up.
So oven cleaner and a 3in exhaust is the solution lol? I’m so out of ideas.

I also have a 2011 thai manual that is doing almost word for word what yours is. Boosts to 20 and drops rapidly to 15 or sometimes 10, slowly builds back up.
So oven cleaner and a 3in exhaust is the solution lol? I’m so out of ideas.
Well I can't say the exhaust would be a solution I just did it ad it was all coming off to oven cleaner the turbo. Mines boosting heaps better now and I've gained about 100km extra per tank

Latest posts

Back