Boost levels?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HI all again.
Can someone give me a figure on standard boost levels in these D40 2.5s.
I have a chipit module and my scanguage is showing me max boost under heavy load is 21 psi max.
I haven't run without chipit module to get baseline reading.

Last edited:
That's about right, but the Chipit is really running more like 25, you need to use a normal boost guage as the MAP sensor voltages are getting changed by the chipit.

eg on my Patrol scanguage reads 15psi, but it's actually running on 20.

Hope that helps.

My vehicle is completely stock. I have a bluetooth OBD adapter and can see things like boost level as reported by the ECU in real time.

The most I've seen mine boost is about 19psi, that's pushing her hard up a hill with the van on the back and the foot most of the way to the floor.

20psi is standard. 27psi is maximum safe limit for the turbo.
It is on its peak efficiency island at 23psi.

I agree with Northside,

On my recent trip to Cape York, at one point underload towing a Jayco Hawke camper trailer fully loaded, whilst over taking a B-double semi-trailer, my boost gauge blew out to 25psi at 135k per hour, exhaust temp hit between 785-805 degrees. Please note my exhaust temp sensor is in my exhaust manifold.

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

gday
Im planing on putting a bost gauge on my d40, but dont know where to tap in the hose??

does anyone have a pic of wich vac/boost line to tap into???

There is no hoses or vac lines that you can tap into.
The only one is where the map sensor is mounted on the intercooler and its a tricky little bugger to get to.

Another option is the little fitting below.
hosefitting2.jpg

Hosefittingout.jpg

Hosefittingin.jpg

im looking at doing a boost egt gauge for the d22 2.5L and was wondering where people are tapping the boost gauge into to read boost levels. i was going to get a fitting braised onto the intercooler intake side. so left hand side when looking at it front on, where it right angle bend straight down into the motor. is this the right spot?

cheers
Rusty

I agree with Northside,

On my recent trip to Cape York, at one point underload towing a Jayco Hawke camper trailer fully loaded, whilst over taking a B-double semi-trailer, my boost gauge blew out to 25psi at 135k per hour, exhaust temp hit between 785-805 degrees. Please note my exhaust temp sensor is in my exhaust manifold.

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!:

D40 EGTs are a amazingly high. My probe is in the dump pipe and I have seen 750 degrees. Just too scary for me so have now set the alarm to warn me and also to turn the chip off well before then.

Exhaust temps!

G,day Boss,

The lads at Townsville Mechanical Services informed me that the Navara D40 was one of the worst vehicles for excessive exhaust temps.

One of the Mechanics shocked me and my mate when he advised us that they had a customer with a chipped twin turbo, water-cooled intercooler on gas D40 pushing exhaust temps into the 900's. So concerned they advised the young bloke to fit an alarm to it, which he did. (Scary shittttt! especially when you can start melting pistons and other metals at less temperatures)

I can understand if a person fitted a petrol V8 or fully modified Navara V6 petrol with all the goodies listed above. However, I cannot understand why someone would want all that horsepower in a diesel engine, to be limited for such a short period before you have to back off those hog’s. It just does not make sense to me. Just my thoughts!

Regards,

RLI
:rock:

One of the Mechanics shocked me and my mate when he advised us that they had a customer with a chipped twin turbo, water-cooled intercooler on gas D40 pushing exhaust temps into the 900's.

900's on a 4.0l gasoline V6 (even twin turbo'd) isn't a stretch. Gasoline engines run hotter egt's than diesels.
750C on a diesel D40 however, is pushing the limits of luck...

For a serious power upgrade (250hp and up) on a diesel D40 the only real solution is a dramatic increase (+60%-100%) in airflow, which requires a turbo/intercooler upgrade.

Last edited:
Mmm, Me thinks this lad is serious.
Niiiice work. Keep us updated Blue.

900's on a 4.0l gasoline V6 (even twin turbo'd) isn't a stretch. Gasoline engines run hotter egt's than diesels.
750C on a diesel D40 however, is pushing the limits of luck...

For a serious power upgrade (250hp and up) on a diesel D40 the only real solution is a dramatic increase (+60%-100%) in airflow, which requires a turbo/intercooler upgrade.

A man gets a servre lump in his pants when he see's a great looking bit of kit like your Navara, Bluenavara. It is a credit to you mate!

It reminds me when i was young once!

Regards,

RLI
:cheers!::rock:

The thing alot of people dont realise on the nav is they have quite a bit of post injection to keep those egt's high for turbine drive.

Latest posts

Back